Status
Not open for further replies.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like a guy who is excited for the future but realistic about the present state of the rebuild.
Yeah, I like how he carefully snuck in there "There's a lot of talent, but we'll have to deal with the growing pains because they're young.".

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
There’s a lot of chatter in different places that the second string QB is not Miller or Brown. But will be Micah Leon.

He’s a walk-on QB. A 7th year senior.

the-money-pit-the-money-pit-movie.gif

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Micah Leon............. 6'5", Smart kid, student of the game and throws a nice ball.......... Where has he been hiding?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I think this will be a challenging season but we should get 7 wins minimum. Napier’s attention to detail and organizational skills are impressive. He’s recruiting well, right-sizing the roster and rebuilding the culture. There is very close to zero % chance he would be fired before end of year three.

I also believe Mertz will play better than almost anyone believes. He’s no All-American but he’s experienced, intelligent, fits the offense and highly motivated. All accounts indicate he has leadership qualities.

I loved seeing the extra attention placed on wrapping up and making the tackle. I have believed for years we have been the worst tackling team in major college football. In fact, it’s hard to even understand how bad we have been. Jordan Travis scramble for a TD over, through and around practically the entire defense summed up the last 7-8 years.

We have some game breakers at receiver and RB. Defense looks bigger, stronger and faster. If the OL holds down their end of the bargain we could have a better than expected season.

This group appears to be more focused, disciplined and serious than last year. I’m looking forward to seeing how well the step up and meet this challenging schedule.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Listen to the last presser, BN sounds pretty honest about things to me. He ain't blowing smoke. He said we're talented but we're young. There's experience but not in all the depth. That sounds like a recipe for taking some lumps the first half to gain experience for the second half. Just the way it is.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Listen to the last presser, BN sounds pretty honest about things to me. He ain't blowing smoke. He said we're talented but we're young. There's experience but not in all the depth. That sounds like a recipe for taking some lumps the first half to gain experience for the second half. Just the way it is.
It's nothing more than managing expectations. He has nothing to gain from hyping this team up.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Sucks about Carrol, he seemed like a tank. So we've already lost a contributor on offense and defense, but at positions that we could afford to lose a body. To bad it couldn't have waited till we were a few games into the season. ETN and Montrell were durable last year, hopefully that continues this year. I think this is a team that will get better as the season goes along. I could see a shaky start in the first month, then putting it together for a strong finish to the season. I'm most excited about the possibility of the front 7, if they've truly improved like is rumored, then this defense should be vastly improved. Even though the schedule is tough, I like the way it sets up at the start by not having back to back hard games to start the year like last year. This year should tell us if Napier is gonna be successful being the play caller or not, I still have my doubts about his play calling and game management, but he gets this year to prove doubters wrong in that area. Special teams is another area I'm expecting vast improvement over what we saw last year. Napier needs to find a way to scrape out a winning season, no UF coach has started his UF tenure with 2 losing season since the '40's. Finish this year strong with a win over the Noles and keeping the recruiting class together, and keep the momentum going into '24 with a win over Scum will set the tone for a great future of UF football.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Sucks about Carrol, he seemed like a tank. So we've already lost a contributor on offense and defense, but at positions that we could afford to lose a body. To bad it couldn't have waited till we were a few games into the season. ETN and Montrell were durable last year, hopefully that continues this year. I think this is a team that will get better as the season goes along. I could see a shaky start in the first month, then putting it together for a strong finish to the season. I'm most excited about the possibility of the front 7, if they've truly improved like is rumored, then this defense should be vastly improved. Even though the schedule is tough, I like the way it sets up at the start by not having back to back hard games to start the year like last year. This year should tell us if Napier is gonna be successful being the play caller or not, I still have my doubts about his play calling and game management, but he gets this year to prove doubters wrong in that area. Special teams is another area I'm expecting vast improvement over what we saw last year. Napier needs to find a way to scrape out a winning season, no UF coach has started his UF tenure with 2 losing season since the '40's. Finish this year strong with a win over the Noles and keeping the recruiting class together, and keep the momentum going into '24 with a win over Scum will set the tone for a great future of UF football.
He specifically said Special Teams are “rock solid”. Says we’re a good two deep there and he’s excited to see what that group does….

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
It’s nice to have a straight talking coach who isn’t a hair trigger nut with anger management issues, a gibberish talking weirdo, or an arrogant prick like his three predecessors, who all talked down to the press and fans as if they were talking to children.

He’s not a brash smart ass like SOS, but he also doesn’t get ruffled like the three stooges, and he’s not a psychopath like Urbs. I really hope he pulls this program together and leads us back to glory.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

He said we do have a SEC caliber squad but admitted we are not a strong two deep at every position. Still work to do.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Micah Leon............. 6'5", Smart kid, student of the game and throws a nice ball.......... Where has he been hiding?

Billy discusses Micah Leon getting reps for a reason at the 13:40 mark.

Last edited:

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I think Mertz will be better than anticipated, really enjoyed listening to Gators Breakdown where Dave said Mertz and the DC AA text each other daily talking trash like "I'm gonna get ya today" ect.
A little friendly comp between QB and DC is a good thing imo

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I really hate that for Carroll. Absolutely sucks. He was going to be a contributor to this team. Time to step up Dee Webb!

Perhaps since camp is over and moving into game prep they may lighten up a bid. Surely we cannot afford to sustain any more injuries. I was hoping that UF could avoid that this year, but it seems as if BN is getting everything in the book to overcome. I'm for one glad we hear him shooting as straight as he can. Just ready for the season to start and seeing some of these questions answered. And hopefully in a positive light.

One thing that many talk about is Billy's in game and play calling ability. I for one think that this ability is tied to your talent level and trust of that talent. If he has the weapons, you will see him attack that and utilize it. One thing to watch this year if the WR's. If this group is truly better (but young and fast) I would expect him to use this and use that speed. It would not shock me to see him use Wilson 3, Mizell, Jean, etc. on deep patterns early this season to see what they can truly do and open up the mid range passing game. We already have an indication that the RB's are going to be used and they are getting catchable balls thrown to them without laser guided speed.

Just ready for the next 11 days to fly by.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps since camp is over and moving into game prep they may lighten up a bid. Surely we cannot afford to sustain any more injuries.
It's football. You can't prepare for the season by playing patty-cake. A guy can tear an ACL without being touched.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
It's football. You can't prepare for the season by playing patty-cake. A guy can tear an ACL without being touched.
1 Did. Blew his out jumping up and down celebrating.
Ppl saying stop having contact in practice would be the same ones saying the team is soft when they miss 8-10 tackles a game ect. Its a contact sport, unfortunately it happens. Luckily for us we are deep at the positions they happened.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I really hate that for Carroll. Absolutely sucks. He was going to be a contributor to this team. Time to step up Dee Webb!

Perhaps since camp is over and moving into game prep they may lighten up a bid. Surely we cannot afford to sustain any more injuries. I was hoping that UF could avoid that this year, but it seems as if BN is getting everything in the book to overcome. I'm for one glad we hear him shooting as straight as he can. Just ready for the season to start and seeing some of these questions answered. And hopefully in a positive light.

One thing that many talk about is Billy's in game and play calling ability. I for one think that this ability is tied to your talent level and trust of that talent. If he has the weapons, you will see him attack that and utilize it. One thing to watch this year if the WR's. If this group is truly better (but young and fast) I would expect him to use this and use that speed. It would not shock me to see him use Wilson 3, Mizell, Jean, etc. on deep patterns early this season to see what they can truly do and open up the mid range passing game. We already have an indication that the RB's are going to be used and they are getting catchable balls thrown to them without laser guided speed.

Just ready for the next 11 days to fly by.
Yeah I dont get the playcall slander, what do you do as a playcaller when your QB misses the layup passes you give him? The fact we still averaged 30 a game is a miracle.
Like you said, we'll see this season if it was warranted.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Since camp is over and we are officially transferring into the season, I'm closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator