Gator Baseball 2023 Gator Baseball Thread- CWS Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's kinda my point. A baseball player can get drafted and the NCAA says no problem if you want keep playing. A football player or basketball player not so much. I fully understand the agent thing, but that's a separate issue.

But the question remains: Why the difference? I get that the NBA and NFL require players to declare; that's on them, but why does the NCAA care about that?

Unfortunately the answer may reside in the beginning of your question
“Why does the NCAA…….”
There are at least ten thousand different ways to finish this sentence without a logical answer.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Unfortunately the answer may reside in the beginning of your question
“Why does the NCAA…….”
There are at least ten thousand different ways to finish this sentence without a logical answer.
All that said and done when a highly regarded player enrolls in his first class I like knowing he is here (or portalled) for three years.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That's kinda my point. A baseball player can get drafted and the NCAA says no problem if you want keep playing. A football player or basketball player not so much. I fully understand the agent thing, but that's a separate issue.

But the question remains: Why the difference? I get that the NBA and NFL require players to declare; that's on them, but why does the NCAA care about that?
The difference is the declaration. “I’m going pro”.
Baseball doesn’t do that and they’ve obviously written rules in alignment with MLB and the NCAA to benefit both. MLB has a massive farm system to develop players and the NCAA is viewed as just another pool of developing players.
The NBA has never given a sh*t about what their policies do to college programs. They also have a large developmental pool but they don’t want to wait on generational players so they allow kids to come straight out of HS or from abroad.
Meanwhile, the NFL wants them as soon as they can but they understand the physical demands of playing in their league necessitates a ton of development for HS players so they set their draft eligible rules accordingly. They’re only developmental league is college football.

Or not.
episode 4 shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Bama eliminates UK and will play Gators tomorrow at 530ET

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The difference is the declaration. “I’m going pro”.
Baseball doesn’t do that and they’ve obviously written rules in alignment with MLB and the NCAA to benefit both. MLB has a massive farm system to develop players and the NCAA is viewed as just another pool of developing players.
The NBA has never given a sh*t about what their policies do to college programs. They also have a large developmental pool but they don’t want to wait on generational players so they allow kids to come straight out of HS or from abroad.
Meanwhile, the NFL wants them as soon as they can but they understand the physical demands of playing in their league necessitates a ton of development for HS players so they set their draft eligible rules accordingly. They’re only developmental league is college football.

Or not.
episode 4 shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live
I’ll go with “or not.” Just because the NBA and NFL say a prospect has to “declare” himself eligible shouldn’t mean dick to the NCAA. They’ve chosen to say the MLB’s method somehow means it’s not the same as the NBA/NFL’s. To me it’s a distinction without a difference.

The NCAA has chosen the current situation which certainly does not benefit the “student athletes.” Not that anyone should be surprised by their hypocrisy.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Not about winning this game against Bama or not, but in a big ballpark, fundamental baseball is more apparent. We are not good in that dept, tonight.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Our approach was swing at all curve balls, let all fast balls go. We had winning running on 2nd no outs in 9th, just didn’t show up tonight.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Our approach was swing at all curve balls, let all fast balls go. We had winning running on 2nd no outs in 9th, just didn’t show up tonight.
Fundamentals all game. Can;t lay down a bunt or waste and 0-2 pitch. Little things become large. Not about winning it is about being razor sharp next week. I just can;t get by the things that follow Sully around b/c they just seem to hang around.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Walk it off baby!

Gators win on 3 singles followed by a walk off HR from Riopelle. Biggest comeback win in extra innings in tourney history.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Still need to shore up the little things. And after Sproat departs tomorrow gotta pitch the "need another arm" guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator