Gator Baseball 2023 Gator Baseball Thread- CWS Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Don't see anything about baseball yet and I think usually we stick to one main thread per season so here we goooooo. We are opening up against Charleston this weekend.

I don't know much about the team this year as I haven't read just about anything about it but I do know that we were one decent reliever away from easily making it to Omaha last year. I feel like we've been one pitcher away from being elite for the last 3-4 years.

We picked up an awesome transfer SP in Hurston Waldrep who is a pre-season first team All-American and is starting on Saturday. Tonight we are going with Sproat who had a pretty good year for us last year.

I'm hoping that the exit of Jud Fabian gives us a little more consistency in our hitting line-up instead of having a dude right in the middle of the lineup that is either gonna hit 2 home runs and win us the game or strike out 3 times and lose us all the momentum inning after inning.

That's about all I got. Any experts out there have any idea what else we've got going this year? Would be awesome to get a sweep to start out the year.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
There is a lot to be optimistic for the first weekend series. Both Sproat and Waldrep are Pre-season all Americans as is Wyatt Langford who is projected as a top 5 pick in MLB this summer. Pitching should be a strong suit for the Gators with a full staff of experienced pitchers returning. Jac Caglianone, who impressed as a DH as a freshman is getting the start on Sunday returning from Tommy John surgery his senior year in HS. Another one to watch is Soph Pierce Coppola who was the Sunday SP in last seasons opening weekend and apparently hurt his back and sat out the rest of the season. In addition we return 6 positional starters all with some good highlights over the last couple of years. As usual Sully brought in some good recruits and also hit the transfer portal for more depth. Mike Rivera is now on staff after several years in the minors, welcome back Mike. Go Gators!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
my son and i got tickets to the gator-suckhole game next month in trailerhashee. cant wait to watch us win another one in their dump of a ballpark.

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
#7 this year preseason. Need a series win vs A&M in May, don’t even play LSU in the regular season lol

Should finally make it to Charles Schwab Field in June

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Russell is good doing baseball. Clearly enjoying himself…. How he sucks so badly on his daily show is mind blogging…
It seems he feels the need to play devil's advocate in order to keep the conversations going on his talk show and comes off as adversarial to many of the callers.
I also enjoy his play by play and he does an even better job at the many interviews he conducts on the show and in the booth. Of course he can still be a class A prick at times.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
It seems he feels the need to play devil's advocate in order to keep the conversations going on his talk show and comes off as adversarial to many of the callers.
I also enjoy his play by play and he does an even better job at the many interviews he conducts on the show and in the booth. Of course he can still be a class A prick at times.
HE SHOULD JUST RETIRE,,,imho

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Russell is good doing baseball. Clearly enjoying himself…. How he sucks so badly on his daily show is mind blogging…

I stopped listening to him a few years back because he is such a sucka$$ homer that he makes a fool of himself.
If you can’t be the least bit objective about UF athletics then you provide no value to the listener. It’s kinda hard to get a UF employee to be honest.

He does seem to be good doing play by play.

Swamp s mods suck

Dec 27, 2020
Always Sunny Troll GIF

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
A lot of experience in this year's line-up and the newcomers delivered last night too. Sproat was in mid-season form hitting triple digits and throwing a one hitter thru 5.2 IP. This should be a sweep weekend.

We will get an idea of our pitching depth Tues/ Wed facing USF in an away/ home mid week match-up. USF opened last night topping #13 Maryland by beating their all-American righty Jason Savacool.

I love our early season regional match-ups as it gets them ready for SEC play and pays dividends down the road.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Wyatt looks like he put on about 15-20 pounds of muscle. Colby still struggling to hit and BT is probably the MVP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb