2023 Investing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I know Foley can't give advice on account of his license. But this is for charity!

I think you could post something that you were buying on a short trade without saying it was advice, NO?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm ready to cash that LTBR position,
I told you Uranium has been consolidating.....HODL my friend....HODL

A lot of trashing of Crete on here but I bet some would love to have had my position in RYCEY, UEC, CRDW and a few others over the last year....
Oh Yeah Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Already losing. Mentioned last week was shorting 10 year treasury when it reached about 4.16%. Two days later was in the chips. Today, oops. About to pull the plug on it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was down over 30% earlier this year in Amazon, did some dollar-cost-averaging buying and hit break-even yesterday. Sold most of it today - up about 2%. It may keep going up, but getting back 30% I'm fine with - gives me some cash in my brokerage to buy other funds/stocks. I was in it pretty deep (about 20% of total portfolio). AAPL is my biggest holding - I was tempted to sell off some of it when it hit the high a few months back, now it's higher. I'd only sell in my Roth though, as I'd take a big tax hit in my non-retirement brokerage. Gonna hold for now.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was down over 30% earlier this year in Amazon, did some dollar-cost-averaging buying and hit break-even yesterday. Sold most of it today - up about 2%. It may keep going up, but getting back 30% I'm fine with - gives me some cash in my brokerage to buy other funds/stocks. I was in it pretty deep (about 20% of total portfolio). AAPL is my biggest holding - I was tempted to sell off some of it when it hit the high a few months back, now it's higher. I'd only sell in my Roth though, as I'd take a big tax hit in my non-retirement brokerage. Gonna hold for now.
You sound like me. Did some more trimming today in my tax deferred accounts of the stocks that the market has finally awakened to outside of the same 10 that go up everyday. Waiting until first of year to trim in taxable accounts so that I can use losses to offset.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

Excellent recovery BMF. Nice moves. Best part, Zero capital gains!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I can't believe the S&P is over 4700. I added to my ETF when it was under 4000, but evidently not enough lol

My managed brokerage is finally positive after 2022's beating - wonder how long that will last.

I was pretty hell bent on selling and sitting it all in a 5% CD until after the 2024 election, but with the FED playing games (i.e. helping out the Biden admin), the market looks like it could make a run over the next 6+ months.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I can't believe the S&P is over 4700. I added to my ETF when it was under 4000, but evidently not enough lol

My managed brokerage is finally positive after 2022's beating - wonder how long that will last.

I was pretty hell bent on selling and sitting it all in a 5% CD until after the 2024 election, but with the FED playing games (i.e. helping out the Biden admin), the market looks like it could make a run over the next 6+ months.
I think there will be a run up until the 1st rate cut. Am also on the lookout for Black Swans since 2024 is going to be lit AF.

Protect that hard earned capital. Lower risk. Early 2024 enthusiasm replaced by a come back down to Earth recession with huge debt numbers to re-fi. IMO

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
with huge debt numbers to re-fi. IMO
I think this is why a smart investor/trader would be leery of going too long in tech/growth positions....2024-2025 is supposed to be huge for corporate refi's as well as commercial property `refi's. If that's true then there will be hell to pay unless Ol J. Powell drops his pants pretty quickly....but with core inflation still at 4% is that going to be possible?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Interesting.....I wish I had known this 25 years ago(aside from RE) Don't be put off by the inflation lean at the beginning of the video.... concentrate on the investment angle

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Of course AMZN makes a run after I dump most of it. lol

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Picked up a few shares of ABXXF on 12/6 at $6.90 for a pretty nice run up - now $8.13. Wish I had bought it a month earlier.

Now you tell us. That's nearly an 18% gain in two weeks. You're supposed to give us those hot stock tips before you plunk down the cash so we can bet along side ya.

What are some of y'all's favorites to start the year? 1st quarter should be green due to easy year-over-year comparisons and optimism for the new year and rate cuts. I guess you could just play IWM or IWB to capture some upside. But I'm looking for individual stocks to bet on.
I heard the week between New Years and Christmas is typically a good week to buy.

For small trades on high-risk stocks, I like...
1.) DNA < $1.57
2.) LTBR < 3.50. (Crete's pick)
3.) LAZR < 3.25
4.) Whatever Brad's daughter is picking for 2024.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Picked up ome more RYCEY last friday when it dipped to 3.65 and some more EDV yesterday when it was down about a buck earlier in the day. Will sit mostly still for a while since the VIXX has been historically low for a while now.....which means to me there will be a major meltdown at some point in January.....then again around March when the Feds new bank bailout fund runs out of money and expires....I love having most of my powder soaking at 5.4% until then.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For me, 2023 was a pretty good year.

My biggest holding heavy hitters did what they were supposed to do.
My decent holdings, large company, "safe" companies did ok except RTX and KO.
The gambling money small caps got absolutely ass raped.

I didnt do much for 2023 except for sit back and watch the wild swings.

My 5 largest holdings:
VOO Vanguard S&P 500 ETF +23.5% for 2023
DGRO Dividend Growth ETF +6.7% for 2023
SOFI +108% for 2023
A different 500 ETF +26.9% for 2023
ARKQ ETF +41.5% for 2023

Decent sized holdings:
RTX down 17%
AMZN +83%
TSLA +102%
GOOG +59%
ARKF +94%
NOBL ETF +4%
KO down 9%
Next 500 ETF +16%

The rest is gambling/beer money:
EVGO down 18%
PSFE down 7%
PLUG down 65%
RIVN +21%
BLDP down 27%
CHPT down 73%
WISH down 59%

AQB down 86% (naturally, the one kid pick that I duplicated lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator