Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
You know, I was against the hire at first.
Then warmed up to Napier and the new staff, the analysts, the focus on recruiting , then the huge win against Utah.
Damn, I was all in!

Kentucky sucked but hey, AR just had a bad game.
As the season unfolded, I realized, we just aren’t well coached.
The wheels came off in Nashville and I was just flat out disgusted in Tallahassee.

I’m fine with a tear down and rebuild.
I understand this will take time , IF you have the right guy.

What I saw this season was regression.
Our best played game was the first one, and Our worse game of the season was in Nashville.
That’s backwards.

Then Vegas.
Early on in the game thread, I defended the play.
Then reality hit.
It’s coaching.

I really did think Napier was going to make a splash with this class.
A splash like Oregon did yesterday?

I’m just very disappointed in our program right now and, don’t see any flashes of coaching or recruiting brilliance, to get us over this hill.

Cancer isn't cured overnight. We were spoiled in the 90's and 2000's. The program rot gew out of control and it takes time. These trials will either make a man out of you or cause you to hop on your harley and take a long ride off a short pier

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Make it 2,786!

Grinch Smile GIF
Plus one. :lol:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Cancer isn't cured overnight. We were spoiled in the 90's and 2000's. The program rot gew out of control and it takes time. These trials will either make a man out of you or cause you to hop on your harley and take a long ride off a short pier
Problem is, I thought the 80's were my trials. :lol3:
Spurrier spoiled all of us, I guess.
Even so, I wouldn't trade what we had, what we accomplished, for anything. It was grand!

We may never see sustained success like that again at UF.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
There are liars among us. There are those who stated they were glad Mullen and his lazy approach to everything not game day was gone. They exclaimed that they knew we were broken to the point that a complete overhaul was past due and would be welcome. They agreed it would not be immediate, that it would take time to be done the right way. They knew there were going to be losses, but that was the price to be paid in order for the climb back from the depths to begin.

Then we lost to UK and they turned into the mob again and forgot all about it taking time to get factors in place to be better competitive. They blasted Napier and made ridiculous claims about how talented the roster he inherited was, that he was in over his head, “Sunbelt Billy” didn’t deserve to be HBC at our prestigious program. They couldn’t tell you who they really wanted with any consensus, only that they didn’t want what we had.

Now, after Napier and the staff held together a solid class that addressed many positional needs, it still wasn’t good enough. Even though there’s still recruiting left to be done and players to be sought through the portal, many have already cashed their chips. A transfer QB named Mertz, who hasn’t been anointed with a starting position, was the last straw.

There’s a lot of chest thumping and “I told you so’s” being hurled as many seek to separate themselves from the rebuild. “We deserve better because we’ve had better!” Maybe, but a decade plus of rot and coattail riding isn’t going to magically turn around overnight. There’s a reason we’ve got Billy Napier and it’s not all due to Scott Stricklin’s supposed incompetence and impulsivity. There are a handful of top tier coaches that are not here, primarily because we’re in the toughest conference in college football and we’re competing regionally with the two top programs in college football for the best players and against three other strong programs in the state. You’ve got to work hard as hell just to keep your head above water, much less win consistently. You can’t always buy what you want or even what you think you need.

There’s more to it than what you, me, and everyone else thinks we ought to have or deserve. A bad season isn’t mediocrity; a bad decade is. I’m telling you that this signing class (thus far) is a step forward. Billy’s not without fault and there’s not a guarantee, but he’s heading in that direction and comparatively speaking, that’s what’s needed right now.
Very well written.

I also think there is room for those that are disappointed in both the season and recruiting but are NOT attacking BN and his staff.

Some are disappointed.

That doesn't mean we think BN and staff won't ultimately succeed.

That doesn't mean that next year we cant go 8-4 or 9-3 and beat the Leghumpers.

That doesn't mean that next year we can't get a top five class and top 3 in the SEC.

Both that season (above) and recruiting class ( above) are, imo, attainable. Maybe not easy, but, imo, not unreasonable.

I would be thrilled if that happens.

I will be disappointed if not.

But this year, I'm disappointed in both the play and recruiting (pending Portal and NSD additions).

That doesn't make me or others liars.

Much respect Cover2.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The perspective I’m looking for would be Napier Vs. Kelly
I assume you mean Brian, not Chip.

That’s fair, but remember that LSU hasn’t been on a long slide in talent. Coach O got bounced for his personal behavior. Still, Kelly’s rebound during the season is what we should have seen after the SC game. Instead we totally crapped out against Vandy and Ore St. And our defense was indefensible all year.

This class rank is too low, I agree, but that’s mostly in the total numbers. Average player rank we are #3 or #4 depending where you look. Imagine our season without Johnson, Pearsall, Torrance and Etienne. Billy’s sharp
on evaluation. Etienne signed at NSD, not early.

Let’s see what happens between now and NSD and the portal moves. A ton rides on the actual play making ability of Rashada, the WRs and Webb, as well as the development of the D-line.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Billy’s got a little introspection to do, no doubt. But despite his warts, he’s not on an endless vacation or hawking barbecue sauce. There’s an upside there.
Upside is the one selling point for me. I think he's got some Upside there. We've seen flashes on the field and on the trail. He's a young guy and can hopefully grow. It's a a whole new world in college football with nil and the transfer portal. He should get some time to figure it out.

What irks me is the over selling of pretty much everything. Ugly losses on the field and losses on the recruiting trail are not part of some genius plan to bring us back to our glory days. An ugly season and recruiting class that didn't close great is not part of a rebuild or atleast it's not a catalyst behind one. I think some of us have the don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining mentality.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
So your saying we're never coming back? Or has cancer been cured?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Problem is, I thought the 80's were my trials. :lol3:
Spurrier spoiled all of us, I guess.
Even so, I wouldn't trade what we had, what we accomplished, for anything. It was grand!

We may never see sustained success like that again at UF.

Wait till next year

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Upside is the one selling point for me. I think he's got some Upside there. We've seen flashes on the field and on the trail. He's a young guy and can hopefully grow. It's a a whole new world in college football with nil and the transfer portal. He should get some time to figure it out.

What irks me is the over selling of pretty much everything. Ugly losses on the field and losses on the recruiting trail are not part of some genius plan to bring us back to our glory days. An ugly season and recruiting class that didn't close great is not part of a rebuild or atleast it's not a catalyst behind one. I think some of us have the don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining mentality.
The upside and flashes are what some of us are banking on or at least what's giving us hope.

The difficult part of a strategic plan is the milestones may be few and far between. In order to retain stakeholder interest and support, you have to show some incremental improvements between the milestones. Without those, you absolutely, at a minimum, have to show flashes.

I've seen flashes only so far. Which is disappointing.

That doesn't mean additions through NSD and the portal, along with staff / responsibility changes during the off season can't change that.

Right now?

Disappointed.

Which doesn't mean hair-fire (2).gif

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I get what you’re saying and I also know Billy and staff have some improving to do where game prep and in-game matters are concerned, but I believe we’ll all be surprised at how much better a coach he becomes when the Jimmy’s and Joe’s get better.
Maybe. Personally I believe he needs an aggressive OC that can really mix it up. I think he is doing a decent job with everything else but I think him being the OC and HC may be a bit much for him.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'd comment to some of the NeGators, but I think it's been Covered. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with yesterday. There was always going to be a learning curve with this staff. Hopefully, that part is over. And no, I'm not happy they stumbled to the finish line. I think it will get better. Time will tell if it's good enough.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I understand where you’re coming from. But this is by far our best class in a decade. I believe as of yesterday we were third in rating as far as talent, and just lack numbers. Could’ve been better at LB and OL. But any class with almost all 4 stars(only two 3*s I in think), some great much needed talent infusion at DL, DB and WR, plus a 5* QB to get them the ball is solid.

All said and done, after the way we finished yesterday, I think there’s a very real shot of being in the 6 to 10 range. That’s a great class, if for no other reason than it fills some of the biggest voids we have.
Very very solid class. It won’t close the gap between us and Georgia/Bama but it’s a step in the right direction. Mullen’s top class had question marks all over it and ultimately fell apart. I don’t get that vibe here. Napier said he wants workers and from what I can tell that’s what we’re getting.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Very very solid class. It won’t close the gap between us and Georgia/Bama but it’s a step in the right direction. Mullen’s top class had question marks all over it and ultimately fell apart. I don’t get that vibe here. Napier said he wants workers and from what I can tell that’s what we’re getting.

Napier getting all the kids on campus alone would be a marked improvement over Mullen

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Guess I don’t necessarily agree about having to blow everything up and rebuild roster-wise especially now that the portal is a thing.

Our issues were (and still are) on the admin side, that’s what needs to be blown up and rebuilt. The “army” and facilities are on the right path now at least, hope it starts to pay off.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Bingo

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.