Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
There’s another way to look at it; perhaps our guy is woefully underrated.
Most of us who follow recruiting know that it really takes two years to know. Maybe all of our guys are on roster in two years, maybe 8 of Bama’s transfer out. I know we are hoping staff also coaches them up. We have to wait and see.

Side note- if CBN fails to hire a pass game coordinator and our D doesn’t improve quite a lot, this class won’t reach its potential and recruiting will be much less rewarding. And for fuch’s sake, coach up our QBs and give them a system that makes sense. Billy needs to wake up and do what’s needed. Hopefully he does.

As to retention, it went unnoticed by many that Mullenzes classes all but disintegrate by year two. If this class holds, they add some portal players of substance, then they coach well next season, their job selling the program will be much easier. To me, that are lucky to have landed without defection the 20 we signed.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I get what you’re saying and I also know Billy and staff have some improving to do where game prep and in-game matters are concerned, but I believe we’ll all be surprised at how much better a coach he becomes when the Jimmy’s and Joe’s get better.
The year Spurrier re-joined the SEC coaching ranks my best friend's son married a silver 60's daughter. Steve and Jeri were at the wedding and right before we sat down to dinner I said to the officiating Priest (a close friend) to please say a prayer for Coach as he embarked on this new opportunity at USCe. Spurrier laughed and said to my friend "thanks father, I'm sure your blessing will help provided I got the right Jimmy's and Joe's on the field"

Always loved SOS sense of humor and perfectly timed quips.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Might wanna update this, bama just landed another 5* from Florida in Ricks.
247 had 80% Ricks going to Bamma so I counted that as a bamma. (that was the only top 50 that was still "undecided").
So as of now, the figures are still accurate.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
.............No, not just, per wee, pony league, High school levels, nope, to have a valid opinion on what’s going on here you must have played at the collegiate level.

I expect the participants in this thread to dwindle accordingly.
I never played past High School.
What did you play? The trombone? Or were you more of a flute or clarinet guy kinda?

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I don’t think he reads the board anymore. Stormed off the other day and asked to be deleted. I forwarded both questions via text to a friend who knows his housekeeper. She said 72-192 hours she’ll What’s App me an answer.
Is the housekeeper's last name "Gonzalez?"

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Might wanna update this, bama just landed another 5* from Florida in Ricks.
Did they? That’s insane.

A&M had the most insane class last year. With EIGHT 5* and EIGHTEEN recruits in the Top 100.

This class is probably 2nd to that.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
What did you play? The trombone? Or were you more of a flute or clarinet guy kinda?

I played linebacker and running back.
Never started though. Rarely played.
Special teams mostly.

Finally settled in and focused on wrestling.
How about you ?

Not sure what difference it makes though?

Where are we going with this?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thank you! That's the issue with most comments here. If you haven't played the game, you probably don't understand WTF is going on. I've been a Gator player and coached kids my whole life. I'm pleased with the direction BN is taking us.
Lots of us have played football, coached football, and taught football. Football isn't an impossible game to understand, and there are a lot more people educated on the game today than there were when we were growing up as kids. When I was growing up I got my hands on every book I could find that had to do with coaching and strategy when it came to football. Wanna know how many books that came out to? Oh, about a dozen or so from my local library :lol:

Fast forward to today and there are more resources available than there is time to watch/read it all. The elitism some display based on their knowledge and experience is ridiculous at times. I have credentials, but I don't run around dropping them and I certainly don't use them to try and discount other people's opinions. The truth is, most coaches won't be able to take a team where a fanbase wants them to take their team. There is only one winner at the end of the year, and just getting there is very hard to do, much less staying on top. My point is that it isn't hard for those who say BN won't succeed here to be correct; that's just the nature of the beast.

If you're happy with the direction BN is taking us, then that's great. Many disagree with your opinion, but you're definitely entitled to it and I'm not going to sit here and call you a moron for feeling that way. However, to just discredit opinions you don't agree with simply because they lack the playing and coaching experience you do is short-sighted. Throwing your resumé out there does nothing to bolster your argument. Your argument becomes nothing more than a "trust the coaches" platitude, which is simply a call to end all debate and defer to the so-called experts in the room.

Personally, I'd love to hear your reasons for being pleased with the direction BN is taking us. Rather than falling back on the appeal to authority (i.e. your experience as a player and a coach), I'd love to hear some concrete reasons why. Perhaps you're seeing things that others are missing based on your experience. If that's the case, then that's the sort of information that is actually worth something. However, I can understand if you don't want to put yourself out there like that. I was calling for Trask to start after watching his first spring game at UF and took hell for it. Donkey told me I was the dumbest motherf'er to never play the game of football (spoiler alert, I played). Poor ferg became so unhinged about it that he ended up in my signature. Still, until Trask actually proved it on the field, me and a few others had everything about our football expertise questioned. So believe me I can understand if you don't want to get into specifics that others can point to and use to tear down your thought process behind being "pleased with the direction BN is taking us." It's much easier to hide behind a jersey and clipboard.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Lots of us have played football, coached football, and taught football. Football isn't an impossible game to understand, and there are a lot more people educated on the game today than there were when we were growing up as kids. When I was growing up I got my hands on every book I could find that had to do with coaching and strategy when it came to football. Wanna know how many books that came out to? Oh, about a dozen or so from my local library :lol:

Fast forward to today and there are more resources available than there is time to watch/read it all. The elitism some display based on their knowledge and experience is ridiculous at times. I have credentials, but I don't run around dropping them and I certainly don't use them to try and discount other people's opinions. The truth is, most coaches won't be able to take a team where a fanbase wants them to take their team. There is only one winner at the end of the year, and just getting there is very hard to do, much less staying on top. My point is that it isn't hard for those who say BN won't succeed here to be correct; that's just the nature of the beast.

If you're happy with the direction BN is taking us, then that's great. Many disagree with your opinion, but you're definitely entitled to it and I'm not going to sit here and call you a moron for feeling that way. However, to just discredit opinions you don't agree with simply because they lack the playing and coaching experience you do is short-sighted. Throwing your resumé out there does nothing to bolster your argument. Your argument becomes nothing more than a "trust the coaches" platitude, which is simply a call to end all debate and defer to the so-called experts in the room.

Personally, I'd love to hear your reasons for being pleased with the direction BN is taking us. Rather than falling back on the appeal to authority (i.e. your experience as a player and a coach), I'd love to hear some concrete reasons why. Perhaps you're seeing things that others are missing based on your experience. If that's the case, then that's the sort of information that is actually worth something. However, I can understand if you don't want to put yourself out there like that. I was calling for Trask to start after watching his first spring game at UF and took hell for it. Donkey told me I was the dumbest motherf'er to never play the game of football (spoiler alert, I played). Poor ferg became so unhinged about it that he ended up in my signature. Still, until Trask actually proved it on the field, me and a few others had everything about our football expertise questioned. So believe me I can understand if you don't want to get into specifics that others can point to and use to tear down your thought process behind being "pleased with the direction BN is taking us." It's much easier to hide behind a jersey and clipboard.
Wow
Outstanding post.
Well said.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The year Spurrier re-joined the SEC coaching ranks my best friend's son married a silver 60's daughter. Steve and Jeri were at the wedding and right before we sat down to dinner I said to the officiating Priest (a close friend) to please say a prayer for Coach as he embarked on this new opportunity at USCe. Spurrier laughed and said to my friend "thanks father, I'm sure your blessing will help provided I got the right Jimmy's and Joe's on the field"

Always loved SOS sense of humor and perfectly timed quips.
He wasn’t lying!

And @Ironhead , I appreciate your conviction, I truly do. Just understand that I’m just as convicted where my opinion(s) are concerned. I understand that you aren’t convinced Billy is the guy, nor will he ever be. That’s your prerogative. But yours is not the final word, nor is mine. Billy will ultimately rise or fall off his own volition. I get that you’re desperate for a return to SOS/Meyer-type success. We all are, but the program didn’t just hit the skids overnight. The rot began when Urban hung around one year too long and its been pretty much a steady decay from the inside out speckled with a few highlights, none of which became pillars for the program to stand on and grow.

So here we are on our 4th coach in a little more than a decade and you’ve got an old nag like me telling you this one’s different or has got a great chance to be because he’s looking long term. My opinion is that’s where programs that are consistently successful for an extended period start. These last three jokers enjoyed some initial success, arguably with the leftovers from the prior guy. But when you don’t recruit nor adhere to a system that build’s football players and teams, here’s what you’re left with and that’s why I’m excited to see Billy do his organization thing and have no problem giveing him a couple of years to get it in gear.

If he was in it to just make a splash his first year, he’d likely have stopped at the roster and stayed in LA. Now, I’m not naive enough to think big money and a big program wasn’t a draw, but I believe the chance to build using what are his identified talents, recruiting and program building and organization, were at the forefront. A guy like that is in it for the long haul and that’s what I believe we’re in need of at this particular point in history. We’ve done the raging bull, the carnival barker, and the smartest man in the world. I’m ready for a guy that works at it.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
He wasn’t lying!

And @Ironhead , I appreciate your conviction, I truly do. Just understand that I’m just as convicted where my opinion(s) are concerned. I understand that you aren’t convinced Billy is the guy, nor will he ever be. That’s your prerogative. But yours is not the final word, nor is mine. Billy will ultimately rise or fall off his own volition. I get that you’re desperate for a return to SOS/Meyer-type success. We all are, but the program didn’t just hit the skids overnight. The rot began when Urban hung around one year too long and its been pretty much a steady decay from the inside out speckled with a few highlights, none of which became pillars for the program to stand on and grow.

So here we are on our 4th coach in a little more than a decade and you’ve got an old nag like me telling you this one’s different or has got a great chance to be because he’s looking long term. My opinion is that’s where programs that are consistently successful for an extended period start. These last three jokers enjoyed some initial success, arguably with the leftovers from the prior guy. But when you don’t recruit nor adhere to a system that build’s football players and teams, here’s what you’re left with and that’s why I’m excited to see Billy do his organization thing and have no problem giveing him a couple of years to get it in gear.

If he was in it to just make a splash his first year, he’d likely have stopped at the roster and stayed in LA. Now, I’m not naive enough to think big money and a big program wasn’t a draw, but I believe the chance to build using what are his identified talents, recruiting and program building and organization, were at the forefront. A guy like that is in it for the long haul and that’s what I believe we’re in need of at this particular point in history. We’ve done the raging bull, the carnival barker, and the smartest man in the world. I’m ready for a guy that works at it.
Yes sir, understood.
I hope you’re right and next year at this time, I’m eating crow!!

To me, that would be awesome!!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If you’re sitting here this morning happy with this class, you’ve given in to mediocrity.
The last 12 years have weighed you down so much, you’ve just slowly given in to to suck.
Hey were #12.....:rotfl:
Seems most on here don't remember b!tching about Mullen and Mac's #12 rated classes over the last 5-6 years and being 5th in the conference..... but I can already here the 3 BS responses.
1. Wait until next year....were going to get all the good guys next year.
2. The portal...our guy knows how to work the portal.
3. Coaching...Scarecrow Karl knows how to work 3 and 4 stars into elite players....We'll be knocking on Bama and UGA's doors by 2026.....:lmao:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Thanks, but you haven’t got to say sir to my old @ss…I worked for a living :lol:
I’m probably about the same age as you.
:fistbump:
“”Sir” as a Southern term of respect.

I respect people who can agree to disagree.
I find that hard to do myself!

All good cover.
I’m sure we will enjoy spirited football conversations as our beloved program moves along.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hey were #12.....:rotfl:
Seems most on here don't remember b!tching about Mullen and Mac's #12 rated classes over the last 5-6 years and being 5th in the conference..... but I can already here the 3 BS responses.
1. Wait until next year....were going to get all the good guys next year.
2. The portal...our guy knows how to work the portal.
3. Coaching...Scarecrow Karl knows how to work 3 and 4 stars into elite players....We'll be knocking on Bama and UGA's doors by 2026.....:lmao:
Dude, you sat here and told us two days ago that the class was in shambles, they'd be leaving in droves because you "heard" high school coaches were steering players away from Billy. You were dead effing wrong, yet again.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Dude, you sat here and told us two days ago that the class was in shambles, they'd be leaving in droves because you "heard" high school coaches were steering players away from Billy. You were dead effing wrong, yet again.
You told me we were going to get all the good guys in 2019 and 2020 when I warned you then.....care to check the archives?
You also told me I was wrong when I told you we won't have a winning record after hiring this stiff a year ago too(if fact you said we would win 10 games)..... Is Karl Scarecrow related to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.