Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Have you watched his film at all? Dude never even looks at a 2nd Wr. He looks his Wr down and throws. Of the highlights I watched I never seen him turn his head at all. Now that's not to say he can't become something good but it's not good that he never even looks at his 2nd option on any plays
Sorry, forgot to use the sarcasm font. I'll do better....

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
But he was a steal. We got him for $13 dollars and a yearly pass to the Devil's Millhopper.

Last edited:

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Have you watched his film at all? Dude never even looks at a 2nd Wr. He looks his Wr down and throws. Of the highlights I watched I never seen him turn his head at all. Now that's not to say he can't become something good but it's not good that he never even looks at his 2nd option on any plays
I watched his senior year highlights and didn't see what you saw. He scans the field quickly and even misdirects the safeties with head movement. I do think he's making pre-snap reads and probably determining ahead of time who is going to be open before the ball is snapped. Not unheard of in a high school offense, especially if the coaches don't think his o-line is going to give him much time to throw. My scouting report after watching his senior year highlights:

- Above average arm strength, but nothing to write home about. Left-handed QB who can throw back across his body accurately.
- Great ball placement on deep throws and an accurate passer whether in the pocket or on the move. 74% completion rate senior year.
- Eyes down the field even when pass rush collapses pocket. Fast enough to escape danger or even run with the football.
- Doesn't run big, so don't look for broken tackles. Would like to see him just slide and avoid taking hits if he's just going to collapse when hit.
- Not the fastest of dual-threat QB's, but enough speed to keep the defense honest.

Other notes: Competition didn't look that great, and his team appeared to have more talent than a lot of the teams on the highlights. Many passes were into tight coverage, with a few into double-coverage, but his ball placement is very good and he knows how to throw his receivers open. Only a 2-star QB and I think that rating is fair, if only because it doesn't look like the level of competition was high. If I had to project him in college, I think he could start at a G5 school eventually, which means he could be a solid backup for us. With a 3.5 GPA and the ability to run our style of offense, I think it's clear he's being brought in as a practice arm and backup. Not a bad take if he's a walk-on. He's probably already better than Mertz the second he steps foot on campus.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gile is a steal. Especially since we're getting him as a pwo. 2741 yards 28td's and a 74% completion percentage. And did that playing in only 5 full games. Sat out the 2nd half of the all others. He's better than stokes. Can't remember a ever getting a walk on with that kind of production.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Gile is a steal. Especially since we're getting him as a pwo. 2741 yards 28td's and a 74% completion percentage. And did that playing in only 5 full games. Sat out the 2nd half of the all others. He's better than stokes. Can't remember a ever getting a walk on with that kind of production.
Kerwin Bell?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I watched his senior year highlights and didn't see what you saw. He scans the field quickly and even misdirects the safeties with head movement. I do think he's making pre-snap reads and probably determining ahead of time who is going to be open before the ball is snapped. Not unheard of in a high school offense, especially if the coaches don't think his o-line is going to give him much time to throw. My scouting report after watching his senior year highlights:

- Above average arm strength, but nothing to write home about. Left-handed QB who can throw back across his body accurately.
- Great ball placement on deep throws and an accurate passer whether in the pocket or on the move. 74% completion rate senior year.
- Eyes down the field even when pass rush collapses pocket. Fast enough to escape danger or even run with the football.
- Doesn't run big, so don't look for broken tackles. Would like to see him just slide and avoid taking hits if he's just going to collapse when hit.
- Not the fastest of dual-threat QB's, but enough speed to keep the defense honest.

Other notes: Competition didn't look that great, and his team appeared to have more talent than a lot of the teams on the highlights. Many passes were into tight coverage, with a few into double-coverage, but his ball placement is very good and he knows how to throw his receivers open. Only a 2-star QB and I think that rating is fair, if only because it doesn't look like the level of competition was high. If I had to project him in college, I think he could start at a G5 school eventually, which means he could be a solid backup for us. With a 3.5 GPA and the ability to run our style of offense, I think it's clear he's being brought in as a practice arm and backup. Not a bad take if he's a walk-on. He's probably already better than Mertz the second he steps foot on campus.
Nice evaluation. But from what I watched his arm strength is below average. Everything is a rainbow. Didn’t see a single pass close to on a rope.

If a camp arm at best is better than Mertz then we are more screwed than I thought. But I think Mertz has a lot more arm talent and hopefully can get his head right.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nice evaluation. But from what I watched his arm strength is below average. Everything is a rainbow. Didn’t see a single pass close to on a rope.

If a camp arm at best is better than Mertz then we are more screwed than I thought. But I think Mertz has a lot more arm talent and hopefully can get his head right.
I've watched a lot of bad tape this year for QB's, so that may have skewed my eval on his arm strength. He does throw the ball across his body well, which usually means his arm is a bit stronger than average, but as you said he also throws rainbows. Regardless, I did say it was nothing to write home about and I stand by it :lol:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
New RB commit, I'm guessing a PWO based on the offer list. He's a 5'10" 175lb RB out of Miami with offers from Buffalo and Bryant.

RB? WR? He's not what I would have expected. Do we know what role he will play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb