Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

When asked about the big weekend of recruiting we just had, coach said... "Gators aren't going away on the recruiting trail. We are going to follow through. We are going to be diligent. And look, verbal commitments mean lots of different things these days, right, so the finish line is out there a few months from now...~...I think we will improve as we go and this is a sign that we are gaining some traction here."

Coach putting the other teams on notice...

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When asked about the big weekend of recruiting we just had, coach said... "Gators aren't going away on the recruiting trail. We are going to follow through. We are going to be diligent. And look, verbal commitments mean lots of different things these days, right, so the finish line is out there a few months from now...~...I think we will improve as we go and this is a sign that we are gaining some traction here."

Coach putting the other teams on notice...
With regards to eliminating distractions and unforced errors, he said as of yesterday we have 10 days before we turn the page on the first game. Love his attention to these things and excited we're getting close to seeing the product on the field,

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Just read on tos that we are pushing hard for James Smith and Qua Russaw. So guess we aren't done on the DL. That would be pretty amazing if it happened and it sounds like they want to play together at the next level.

Red D

Nov 4, 2017
Just curious. Any of the commits have eligibility concerns? It seems like every year there’s a stud or two who we lose to the JUCO route.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Comments like "we're back" are definitely premature. While this year's haul is really good and our current coaching staff is doing a great job, it's the consistently great recruiting that will better determine if we are, indeed, back.

The use of the earlier graph helped to illustrate how we still have a long way to go.

I'd like to think that recruiting well simply correlates into great things but it does not do so in and of itself. Other things are needed like good recruiting, consistency in our coaching staff, the ups and downs of our competition and sometimes luck.

If you look at the four red lines, you'll see the high-water marks we've had in recruiting and I've annotated our W/L record for those years but also included the coach for that year and the W/L record for our team three years later. I did this hoping to find a correlation that a good haul, one year, brings us fame and fortune 3 years later...it does not, except for 2006 as that haul translated into 13-1, 9-4, 13-1 and 13-1. However, the other three high-water marks were meh.
1660587974427.png

1660588683217.png

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Comments like "we're back" are definitely premature.

@oxrageous

Challenge Cant See GIF by Tennis Channel

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Comments like "we're back" are definitely premature. While this year's haul is really good and our current coaching staff is doing a great job, it's the consistently great recruiting that will better determine if we are, indeed, back.

The use of the earlier graph helped to illustrate how we still have a long way to go.

I'd like to think that recruiting well simply correlates into great things but it does not do so in and of itself. Other things are needed like good recruiting, consistency in our coaching staff, the ups and downs of our competition and sometimes luck.

If you look at the four red lines, you'll see the high-water marks we've had in recruiting and I've annotated our W/L record for those years but also included the coach for that year and the W/L record for our team three years later. I did this hoping to find a correlation that a good haul, one year, brings us fame and fortune 3 years later...it does not, except for 2006 as that haul translated into 13-1, 9-4, 13-1 and 13-1. However, the other three high-water marks were meh.
View attachment 47366

View attachment 47367
Issa Rae Buzzkill GIF by The Lovebirds Movie

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Really? You think recruiting is going to get WORSE under Napier after this season? I think this is going to be his "worst" class in perhaps his entire tenure at UF.
Put your pants back on. I never said that.

I was just making the comment that one year, this year, of good recruiting does not mean we are back. In fact, I then showed how our best recruiting in four different years only netted great results from only 1 of those years while the other 3 were meh. Which means, you have to sustain great recruiting.

I think CBN can, and will, do that.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Because we field a team of only 3rd year players?

I think you know why and are just being silly.

It is typical of a recruiting year to lose players each year but the majority of them stay for 3 yrs. If you want to move the standard to 4 yrs we can look at that too. But, I've already done that for 4 years and it ain't no better.
And the reason it ain't "2 yrs" is because most coaches don't play a sophomore over a more experienced Junior or Senior that has been in said coaches weight program, nutrition program, 2 or 3 years of game planning, leadership program, etc. There are exceptions but it's not the norm. But if you want to move the standard to 2 yrs we can look at that too. But, I've already done that for 2 years and it ain't no better.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
How is me saying "we're back" any different than you saying you expect Napier to have sustained recruiting success? I'm not sure why you think my comment was premature but yours wasn't.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think you know why and are just being silly.

It is typical of a recruiting year to lose players each year but the majority of them stay for 3 yrs. If you want to move the standard to 4 yrs we can look at that too. But, I've already done that for 4 years and it ain't no better.
And the reason it ain't "2 yrs" is because most coaches don't play a sophomore over a more experienced Junior or Senior that has been in said coaches weight program, nutrition program, 2 or 3 years of game planning, leadership program, etc. There are exceptions but it's not the norm. But if you want to move the standard to 2 yrs we can look at that too. But, I've already done that for 2 years and it ain't no better.
It isn't any number of years. One class isn't going to carry you to a championship. If you wanted to just use recruiting data you'd need to do a weighted average of the previous 5 classes, but that still doesn't account for the percentage that actually make it to campus and stay there. What would be better would be to look at the ratings of the full roster in those good years. Then of course you'd be looking at the blue chip ratio which has already been discussed here.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
How is me saying "we're back" any different than you saying you expect Napier to have sustained recruiting success? I'm not sure why you think my comment was premature but yours wasn't.

What makes you think I'm discussing your comment on "we're back"? I'm referring to @neteng saying it from post #5,201 even though I didn't tag him in it or do a reply. So if you said that too then it does apply to you.

So as to you saying we're back implies that we ARE back, ie now. And this year's recruiting ain't even over. I think we'll do even better but I cannot agree that we are back, even though I hope we are.

I maintain that consistency in recruiting will be a better indicator of us being back versus blind faith or being a pumper for just one year.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
It isn't any number of years. One class isn't going to carry you to a championship. If you wanted to just use recruiting data you'd need to do a weighted average of the previous 5 classes, but that still doesn't account for the percentage that actually make it to campus and stay there. What would be better would be to look at the ratings of the full roster in those good years. Then of course you'd be looking at the blue chip ratio which has already been discussed here.

When it comes time for you to run the numbers, you should try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb