Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So, we’ve been complaining for years about the millions in facility upgrades for almost every sport EXCEPT football, but the schools are greedy? I’m not saying there isn’t some greed involved, I just think more revenue is reinvested than some suggest. There’s also a certain level of entrepreneurship risk involved. Do the kids see a scholarship reduction if fan attendance and jersey sales plummet because they suck? They risk their bodies on the field, but they aren’t on the hook financially if sports programs tank.

And while the perception (real or imagined, I can’t prove it either way) of the greed may have contributed, it was Northwestern players who took action. So, it WAS the players after all.
If you were a starting football player for a team that’s on national television every week while taking in $25+ million and you couldn’t profit from your own autograph, jersey, picture or even have a damn job, you’d see the silliness in blaming this on the players.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
But do you really think we would be having the same conversation in a few years, when the “schools and athletic departments aren’t limited on how much money they can make, so this isn’t fair” argument’s started?

Love the analogy, btw.
I’m sure it would have been kicking the can down the road, but they didn’t even try. Now it’s just the Wild West.
We won’t be competitive enough for 5* players because UF follows the rules. Schools that are offering contracts up front with a few filthy rich boosters will own the elite talent now and moving forward.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m sure it would have been kicking the can down the road, but they didn’t even try. Now it’s just the Wild West.
We won’t be competitive enough for 5* players because UF follows the rules. Schools that are offering contracts up front with a few filthy rich boosters will own the elite talent now and moving forward.

They’re not getting money up front, imo. But they’re getting offered lucrative packages once they land, so it’s still pay for play. Our hope here is that we continue to improve and get to a better footing, and/or these deals start biting kids and they sour on things. I just personally think that if there was some sort of way to regulate it, we’d see these ideas being discussed already. I also don’t think the powers that be had any incentive in seeing the kids being paid, but also would not have been harmed financially if they had been. I think too often this has been pointed as a money grab where are the schools don’t want to give up their funds. A kid selling his autograph and making a few dollars does not harm them in anyway. So it’s not that.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Ricks is LSU, while LSU steaks a QB from our backyard today also
So according to you that’s 2 top corners that choose other schools over us AND Bama. I guess Nick’s losing his touch as well

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Honest question, when was the last time we had a good JuCo player? Not sure we’re not taking RFN in 2005. Actually not even sure I’ve heard of other teams really benefiting from them either. Seems like the portal is the new solution, not going JuCo.

Wasn’t Trenton Brown a Juco kid? RFN barely counts because he was a highly recruited 4* that was previously committed to us.

That huge behemoth of a DT from Bama Mt. Cody was juco. It happens but it’s rare they really ever do anything at this level

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Wasn’t Trenton Brown a Juco kid? RFN barely counts because he was a highly recruited 4* that was previously committed to us.

That huge behemoth of a DT from Bama Mt. Cody was juco. It happens but it’s rare they really ever do anything at this level

I almost put that in my first post. He was already part of a previous class, but he did technically come from junior college.

There is Brown, Cody and a few other examples. But typically they have not panned out. I think with all the resources that are available and with the internet making recruiting a Fr/Soph HS year thing, the general thinking is kids who don’t make the grades initially, having known the opportunities in front of them for years, are likely missing something. The only advantage was physical maturity that can play right now. With the portal providing instant impact as well, it seems to take a lot of the shine off taking those risks when you can who grab someone who has already shown it at this level.

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
5GM75D.gif

Elijah Davis, a 6-foot-4, 300-pound sophomore from East Mississippi Community College.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
If you were a starting football player for a team that’s on national television every week while taking in $25+ million and you couldn’t profit from your own autograph, jersey, picture or even have a damn job, you’d see the silliness in blaming this on the players.

The no job thing was certainly ridiculous, as is several other stupid rules. I’m not saying we needed zero changes, but we went from zero to lawlessness at ludicrous speed.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The no job thing was certainly ridiculous, as is several other stupid rules. I’m not saying we needed zero changes, but we went from zero to lawlessness at ludicrous speed.
I agree. But where you and I disagree is who’s to blame. You blame the players, but I blame the structure and those that created it and wouldn’t budge from it.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I agree. But where you and I disagree is who’s to blame. You blame the players, but I blame the structure and those that created it and wouldn’t budge from it.
Blame is a strong word. I noted who took the initial action, and to a certain degree I did it just to poke at you. But technically, the NW players took the initiative. Did they have grounds to complain? Yes, but I would argue that they exaggerated their plight.

Also, because of their long list of extra bennies under the old system, I just don't sympathize with their situation.

That said, I agree that the ncaa deserves every bit of criticism that is thrown at them. To borrow a phrase from Al Pachino, "we should take a flame thrower to the place! Hooaaa!"

Edit: btw, you get minus points for not acknowledging my "ludicrous speed" reference. Have you no soul???

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I don’t mean this in an insulting way, but you also haven’t provided a scenario where being paid for autographs and merchandise doesn’t immediately create a pay for play atmosphere within recruiting. There can’t be structure. Even your cap idea is easily skirted. Private sector always outsmarts. Again, it took one booster like 4 days to get around the no booster involvement rule. I’m a capitalist. But this was one area where I felt it didn’t belong. Because it can’t be tamed, only not allowed all together.

And when I say “you haven’t”, what I’m really saying is even those tasked with the very concept you’re suggesting haven’t been able to.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t mean this in an insulting way, but you also haven’t provided a scenario where being paid for autographs and merchandise doesn’t immediately create a pay for play atmosphere within recruiting. There can’t be structure. Even your cap idea is easily skirted. Private sector always outsmarts. Again, it took one booster like 4 days to get around the no booster involvement rule. I’m a capitalist. But this was one area where I felt it didn’t belong. Because it can’t be tamed, only not allowed all together.

And when I say “you haven’t”, what I’m really saying is even those tasked with the very concept you’re suggesting haven’t been able to.
You may be right but when they made this into a multibillion dollar business, there was no way to stick with same rules the had in the 70s. They refused to adapt.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You may be right but when they made this into a multibillion dollar business, there was no way to stick with same rules the had in the 70s. They refused to adapt.

Right, but they refused to adapt for the same reason Saddam refused to adapt. Because they simply couldn’t in any fashion that wouldn’t be immediately exploited and end up in worse conditions than already existed. Unless we’re ok with full blown buying players, you can’t have them getting paid. If we are ok, that’s fine. We won’t be left completely out. But we’ll lose to almost anyone that the wealthier donor schools want. And again, it will be worse for the majority of student athletes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator