Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I dont understand what the love for Miami is all about. They went 3-5, right? I don't want to sound like a snob but I can almost guarantee that 3/4 of their team can't get into UF. Its been a long time even since my kids were looking at schools but I think a 1200 SAT gets you in at UM but at UF 1450 and up is the norm. Am I wrong?

A little wrong.
Miami’s academic standards are nearly as high as they are at UF for the typical incoming freshman.

The difference is in the standards for athletes.
There are about five academic standards that each school can choose to establish. UF maintains THE highest standards for athletes along with a handful of other schools such as Notre Dame. Miami meanwhile has established entrance standards that are some of the lowest allowed for athletes.
For decades UF has lost recruits due to these standards only to watch Miami and FSU gobble them up immediately. This is nothing new for the gator nation.

Mgnihilo

Founding Member
South Carolina Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You must have read something that I didn't. I did not discredit anyone's opinion.

Why am I pleased with BN? He has brought the buzz back to Florida football for all high school coaches and kids. Schools that had once banned Florida from being on their campuses are now having their kids sign with us. We just picked up a kid from Rockledge, that would have never happened under Mullen. Rock's coach played at FSU and did not trust Mullen at all. Look at the inroads BN has made at IMG too. All these top tier kids talk to each other as they compete and they like what's going on at Florida. Florida was not even in the conversation for many years.

I think BN did a fair job with what he had and he didn't go in and try to reinvent the wheel. I do not think AR was very football smart and he was the problem. He depended and assumed that his athletic talent would get him thru the season and obviously it did not. If you study AR's play calling, it was limited because I really don't think he understands the defensive schemes very well. We'll see how he progresses in the NFL but I honestly think he will be a bust. The team was behind AR and BN understood that. I think if he would have come in heavy handed he would have lost the team. He will not have that issue next year.

Does BN need to change his style? Probably tweak it a little for the SEC but his structure is made to succeed. He will work on some minor staff changes I'm sure but to say that the staff as a whole is no good is not accurate. The staff did not have a lot to work with but they took ownership of that.

We also have not had the player drama (not withstanding Kitna) that we always seem to have. BN kept them in line and dismissed the ones he needed to quietly. We are graduating our kids and that is ultimately BN and the Universities goal. We will not get every kid because not every kid can make the grades to play for us. Thats OK to me.

Finally, I do not post every day because I find the bulk of the comments seem to be coming from kids playing XBox and complaining about coaches and players with zero appreciation for the game. No you don't have to be a player to know the gae but you have to give it respect. Thinking that a new coach would come in with a broken program and flip a switch to play in the National Championship game is ludicrous.
I can't give this enough thumbs up. Napier was given a dumpster fire...not just in the clubhouse but in the relationships the UF had with high school coaches around the state. Shark boy did a lot of damage to our product but more than anything, he made Florida a into a pariah across the state. If he has done anything, Napier has begun healing those relationships. IMO, that is the most important thing he has done this year. In our history, how many IMG players have we gotten?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Specifically, our secondary play (coverage, tackling, run support) has been horrid for a while. Can’t blame it all on the schemes. Attention to technique, discipline, and responsibility has been sorely lacking previously.
I’ve have been consistently frustrated with 2 particular areas…..one technique and 1 scheme (1) Tackling. I’ve said for years we are the worst tackling team I’ve ever seen and this spans Mac, Mullen and Napier. Simply horrid to borrow from Cover. (2) This year we played way too passively in coverage. Gave away too much space. I know why we did it but it simply was ineffective. Should have played aggressive and let the chips fall where they may.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
You must have read something that I didn't. I did not discredit anyone's opinion.

Why am I pleased with BN? He has brought the buzz back to Florida football for all high school coaches and kids. Schools that had once banned Florida from being on their campuses are now having their kids sign with us. We just picked up a kid from Rockledge, that would have never happened under Mullen. Rock's coach played at FSU and did not trust Mullen at all. Look at the inroads BN has made at IMG too. All these top tier kids talk to each other as they compete and they like what's going on at Florida. Florida was not even in the conversation for many years.

I think BN did a fair job with what he had and he didn't go in and try to reinvent the wheel. I do not think AR was very football smart and he was the problem. He depended and assumed that his athletic talent would get him thru the season and obviously it did not. If you study AR's play calling, it was limited because I really don't think he understands the defensive schemes very well. We'll see how he progresses in the NFL but I honestly think he will be a bust. The team was behind AR and BN understood that. I think if he would have come in heavy handed he would have lost the team. He will not have that issue next year.

Does BN need to change his style? Probably tweak it a little for the SEC but his structure is made to succeed. He will work on some minor staff changes I'm sure but to say that the staff as a whole is no good is not accurate. The staff did not have a lot to work with but they took ownership of that.

We also have not had the player drama (not withstanding Kitna) that we always seem to have. BN kept them in line and dismissed the ones he needed to quietly. We are graduating our kids and that is ultimately BN and the Universities goal. We will not get every kid because not every kid can make the grades to play for us. Thats OK to me.

Finally, I do not post every day because I find the bulk of the comments seem to be coming from kids playing XBox and complaining about coaches and players with zero appreciation for the game. No you don't have to be a player to know the gae but you have to give it respect. Thinking that a new coach would come in with a broken program and flip a switch to play in the National Championship game is luidicrous.
I'm curious, since you obviously understand the game at a level most of us have no chance of attaining, what is your opinion of Toney and his scheme, and why do they both suck?

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I imagine all those people expecting a NC this year are terribly disappointed.
s reactions wars GIF

Is it too much to expect not to lose to Tennessee, Vandy and Kentucky in the same year for the first time since the collapse of the Roman empire?

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
I'm curious, since you obviously understand the game at a level most of us have no chance of attaining, what is your opinion of Toney and his scheme, and why do they both suck?
In short, we did not have the skill players to play, especially not play man.....at all. His scheme wants to be cover 1 but we do not have the skill to play man over the top. He wants to run a 4-3 but with our weak LB its not effective. His 'creep scheme' is to appear to have a 5 man rush but only send 4. We're too slow to run a 3-4 with any gap coverage which would be better and I think with the right athletes you will see that next year. . Our DL is too small and we only had a few that returned with any experience. Barney led us in sacks with 4 on the year and as a team we had 23. We had next to zero talent at LB other than V Miller and we all know what happened when he was out. Dean is a great kid but lets face it, if he was our best DB that doesn't say much. Had we had anyone that could play man in the secondary everything would have changed. If you can't cover there is no way to bring effective pressure. I will be surprised if we put any defensive players in the top 50 in the NFL this year. I'm not a huge fan of Toney and I doubt that he will ever be considered a defensive genius but I don't put the blame on him either. His scheme is If AR could have been the real deal and scored more points our defense would not have looked that bad.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
In short, we did not have the skill players to play, especially not play man.....at all. His scheme wants to be cover 1 but we do not have the skill to play man over the top. He wants to run a 4-3 but with our weak LB its not effective. His 'creep scheme' is to appear to have a 5 man rush but only send 4. We're too slow to run a 3-4 with any gap coverage which would be better and I think with the right athletes you will see that next year. . Our DL is too small and we only had a few that returned with any experience. Barney led us in sacks with 4 on the year and as a team we had 23. We had next to zero talent at LB other than V Miller and we all know what happened when he was out. Dean is a great kid but lets face it, if he was our best DB that doesn't say much. Had we had anyone that could play man in the secondary everything would have changed. If you can't cover there is no way to bring effective pressure. I will be surprised if we put any defensive players in the top 50 in the NFL this year. I'm not a huge fan of Toney and I doubt that he will ever be considered a defensive genius but I don't put the blame on him either. His scheme is If AR could have been the real deal and scored more points our defense would not have looked that bad.
Thank you, for taking the time to write all that out. I learned a bit more today than I knew yesterday. Appreciate it!

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Did you just fill ltraz's shoes/vacancy?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I skimmed through that article, thanks for posting it. Did I miss anything? I didn’t see Florida mentioned once.

Also, I can’t believe we are at the place in life of now putting a NIL Valuation with all these kids. It’s like we need a Kelly Blue Book going forward.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Thank you! That's the issue with most comments here. If you haven't played the game, you probably don't understand WTF is going on. I've been a Gator player and coached kids my whole life. I'm pleased with the direction BN is taking us.
You should post more so that we can benefit from your former-player perspective. Fans are nuts, man.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I skimmed through that article, thanks for posting it. Did I miss anything? I didn’t see Florida mentioned once.

Also, I can’t believe we are at the place in life of now putting a NIL Valuation with all these kids. It’s like we need a Kelly Blue Book going forward.
Just posted for informational, not a recruitnic, but saw some 4* LB brothers on there, and a TE or two. Maybe our resident recruiting followers would have input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb