Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
he's got a point. next to none of these kids would be at uf if not for football standards relaxation

Yeah, I dont agree with that. It may be true and it may not be true, I dont know and neither do any of you guys. I think its pretty inconsiderate to make such generalized opinions about the intelligence of other people based solely on them being good at playing football (or not so good...I know). What I do know is college football makes a sh!t ton of money and they are the prime reason for it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I dont agree with that. It may be true and it may not be true, I dont know and neither do any of you guys. I think its pretty inconsiderate to make such generalized opinions about the intelligence of other people based solely on them being good at playing football (or not so good...I know). What I do know is college football makes a sh!t ton of money and they are the prime reason for it.
so you're saying the standard and well-publicized for decades practice of lower admission standards for football related admissions is incorrect or at worst only slightly a thing? C'mon...

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
so you're saying the standard and well-publicized for decades practice of lower admission standards for football related admissions is incorrect or at worst only slightly a thing? C'mon...

Im saying, what you are saying doesn't make them entitled thugs who don't deserve a dime like chferg is saying and you seem to think is a good point.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Eli Holstein comments about Florida and Alabama. Nice things said about us by him but it feels like he is Bama's to lose. Interesting mention about he is one of 3 we are looking at though.

I made it to Florida a couple weekends ago and that was real good. It was good to see all those guys and catch up with the coaches that recruited my brother to UL. There are a lot of familiar faces in that building, so it was nice to see those guys and reconnect. It's cool to see the facilities and what they have in store for the future. I feel like I'm one of the top guys on their board and they basically told me I'm one of three guys that they're looking at. They'd love my commitment, so that means a lot to me.

I feel really comfortable with Alabama. We have a great relationship and it's been great getting to continue building that bond with them. The spring game at Alabama was great. It was Easter weekend and a rainy day, so not a lot of people were there, and the weather didn't help the passing game either, but everybody there was great and I thought the offense looked great. A quarterback's best friend is a really good defense and obviously Bama doesn't allow the other team to score that much, so that's good to see.

I know that my decision will definitely be before the season, but right now I'm worried about spring practice the next two weeks. I'll worry about everything else after that.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Im saying, what you are saying doesn't make them entitled thugs who don't deserve a dime like chferg is saying and you seem to think is a good point.
what was a good point, was that these kids wouldn't make it in if not for special accommodation, and none are deserving of additional considering all they get after arrival. And that's the only topic I specifically commented on. Whether he feels someone is a thug or not is matter of opinion. The larger point of special accommodation is a matter of fact. Nice job of accusing someone of painting with a broad brush as you do so yourself.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
what was a good point, was that these kids wouldn't make it in if not for special accommodation, and none are deserving of additional considering all they get after arrival. And that's the only topic I specifically commented on. Whether he feels someone is a thug or not is matter of opinion. The larger point of special accommodation is a matter of fact. Nice job of accusing someone of painting with a broad brush as you do so yourself.

I dunno, accusing someone of being an entitled thug will always be the larger point when compared to someone getting into a university with a special accommodation. Maybe that's just me though.

Im the one that accused someone of painting with a broad stroke? The remark I made that you replied to with the below is a pretty broad brush of paint.

And your mom let me in last night based on special accommodations. :P

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I dunno, accusing someone of being an entitled thug will always be the larger point when compared to someone getting into a university with a special accommodation. Maybe that's just me though.

Im the one that accused someone of painting with a broad stroke? The remark I made that you replied to with the below is a pretty broad brush of paint.

And your mom let me in last night based on special accommodations. :p
well we will certainly agree on that. You need special accomodation to score.

To the other point, of which I was crystal clear from the start and none of it had to do with someone being a thug, you're grasping at straws about my above comment. My comment is known fact and the standard practice for the vast majority of scholly players. If it's a broad brush, it's a dead accurate one.

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Not to put too fine a point on things, but I don't see anyone here saying that every recruit standing around with a collection basket in his hand is necessarily a bad person. Sadly, that's now the norm in the brave new world of CFB - and I personally think it stinks to High Heaven. Also, only the most naive among us would deny that a significant portion of these kids have major issues that would totally preclude college life in any form if they weren't talented athletes and hence highly valued "entertainers." The tail is not only wagging the dog these days, it will eventually wag the dog to death if there isn't some drastic change to the current paradigm. JMHO.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Eli Holstein comments about Florida and Alabama. Nice things said about us by him but it feels like he is Bama's to lose. Interesting mention about he is one of 3 we are looking at though.

I feel really comfortable with Alabama. We have a great relationship and it's been great getting to continue building that bond with them. The spring game at Alabama was great.

Bama.
tenor.gif

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I can't speak for everyone, but if I felt that UF was a great team largely because we were just able to outbid other schools with huge pot of money, it takes a little bit of the joy away from me.

CFB is going to have to decide what they want to be. If they just want it to be a mini NFL, then maybe they should just remove the scholarship/academic side of it from the equation. Just pay free agents to come play football for a few years.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
CFB didn't want this. They don't have a choice in the matter.
Sure they do. College Football could require a waiver for NIL, just like many employers do everyday. You want a scholarship, forfeit your NIL under it or some modification. Otherwise go to Canada

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sure they do. College Football could require a waiver for NIL, just like many employers do everyday. You want a scholarship, forfeit your NIL under it or some modification. Otherwise go to Canada
That's essentially what the supreme court told them they cannot do.

If someone is going to regulate NIL, it's going to have to be the government.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I suppose. But you can see why a lot of fans don't want to throw a bunch of their hard-earned into a ridiculous "collective". Let's just buy a title!

It doesn't sit well.

$20 per month from just 80,000 fans, though??? That's not exactly a new mortgage. I joined the Collective the day it was announced here for the base $7 per month, just to see how it went. I'm still giving at that rate. I'd crank it to $20-$50 per month if I had any inclination whatsoever that it'd actually make a difference.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
$20 per month from just 80,000 fans, though??? That's not exactly a new mortgage. I joined the Collective the day it was announced here for the base $7 per month, just to see how it went. I'm still giving at that rate. I'd crank it to $20-$50 per month if I had any inclination whatsoever that it'd actually make a difference.
It's not just about the dollars themselves.

Also, you are welcome to crank $20-$50 per month to Gatorchatter. I will accept it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator