Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I suppose. But you can see why a lot of fans don't want to throw a bunch of their hard-earned into a ridiculous "collective". Let's just buy a title!

It doesn't sit well.

:alone:

Grow up. Either we buy it or someone else does.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
$20 per month from just 80,000 fans, though??? That's not exactly a new mortgage. I joined the Collective the day it was announced here for the base $7 per month, just to see how it went. I'm still giving at that rate. I'd crank it to $20-$50 per month if I had any inclination whatsoever that it'd actually make a difference.
I won't sponsor an endangered elephant for $20 a month or a dog rescue for $20 a month or adopt a giraffe for $20 a month (which is what Franks wanted).

Maybe if you got Sarah McLachlan to sing GatorBait it would help.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
There are plenty of filthy rich boosters that could fully fund this collective. What I don't want is for anyone to be made to feel guilty or somehow less of a fan if they don't want to directly give money to these teens so they can put rims on their car and bling around their necks. I've supported the school for decades, watched every game since 1989. I must have bought 200 Gator shirts and hats.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I love how free room + board, monthly stipulation checks, free books, free tutoring, free healthcare, and free tuition turned into, "oh my God these players were exploited and forced to play for free." Add that all up and get back to me how much they were really earning a year to play; especially out of state recruits. On top of that, many of these kids had the opportunity to get a degree from a school they'd never sniff without football opening the door for them.

I hate the new landscape of college football. Yes, pay-to-win was happening before, but it's going to get a LOT worse now. We aren't going to come out on top of this brave new world. Miami has rich boosters who are all-in on buying recruits, hell overpaying for recruits if the $400k for a crappy 3-star rumor is true.

Billy Napier is making a valiant effort to attract top talent here, even dragging our administration to bring us into the current century as far as facilities and support staff goes. Too little too late, unfortunately. "Show me the money" is the name of the game now, and I just don't see our alumni coughing up enough money to compete with the big dogs. Just wait until the big dogs get their new non-affiliated recruiters set up *wink wink*. Whenever we do manage to find a diamond in the rough who turns out to be a generational talent, one day soon these new recruiters will be showing up to mom and dad's house with multi-million dollar offers to play for their school, provided their son simply uses that convenient transfer portal. We haven't even seen the worst of what's to come IMO.

If I wanted to watch football played by mercenaries, I'd watch the NFL. There used to be something special about playing for your school as a student, and cheering for your school as a student/fan. Those days are numbered, if not already gone. "Go Paidors! C'mon Paidors, get up and go!" just doesn't have the same ring to me.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's essentially what the supreme court told them they cannot do.

If someone is going to regulate NIL, it's going to have to be the government.

I’d have to read their ruling, but it’s absurd to think that the situation cannot be maneuvered. The NCAA could just as easily say no more 800 SAT’s. Raise the min standards and then what?

Regardless, a scholarship is a contract. Did they really rule you can’t put conditions on a contract

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I love how free room + board, monthly stipulation checks, free books, free tutoring, free healthcare, and free tuition turned into, "oh my God these players were exploited and forced to play for free." Add that all up and get back to me how much they were really earning a year to play; especially out of state recruits. On top of that, many of these kids had the opportunity to get a degree from a school they'd never sniff without football opening the door for them.

I hate the new landscape of college football. Yes, pay-to-win was happening before, but it's going to get a LOT worse now. We aren't going to come out on top of this brave new world. Miami has rich boosters who are all-in on buying recruits, hell overpaying for recruits if the $400k for a crappy 3-star rumor is true.

Billy Napier is making a valiant effort to attract top talent here, even dragging our administration to bring us into the current century as far as facilities and support staff goes. Too little too late, unfortunately. "Show me the money" is the name of the game now, and I just don't see our alumni coughing up enough money to compete with the big dogs. Just wait until the big dogs get their new non-affiliated recruiters set up *wink wink*. Whenever we do manage to find a diamond in the rough who turns out to be a generational talent, one day soon these new recruiters will be showing up to mom and dad's house with multi-million dollar offers to play for their school, provided their son simply uses that convenient transfer portal. We haven't even seen the worst of what's to come IMO.

If I wanted to watch football played by mercenaries, I'd watch the NFL. There used to be something special about playing for your school as a student, and cheering for your school as a student/fan. Those days are numbered, if not already gone. "Go Paidors! C'mon Paidors, get up and go!" just doesn't have the same ring to me.

Well said and painfully accurate. Personally, It's going to be a helluva lot harder to remain fully invested in a "college" team largely composed of mercenaries and rank opportunists who couldn't care less about UF or the fans. IMHO, this crap is a dagger in the heart of what was the greatest sport on Earth for over a century. TBC, I don't really blame people for trying to make a buck, but make no mistake, CFB as we have known it is dead and gone. But what really pisses me off is the fact that this was instigated by a cabal of professional haters who jumped on the all pervasive "victimhood" bandwagon as an excuse to cash in bigtime - while pissing all over a great American tradition. FTAH, and horses they rode up on.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
So much butt hurt. :cry2:Very few of us thought this was gonna be a good thing, And God knows it isn't sustainable.

But it is what it is. We have everything in our favor in Florida and the SEC. The only thing that stops us from winning the NC every year is ourselves. Now in the era if NIL even more so. We better embrace it or never see another championship.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
And I hate the "collective" term..ugh.
Used to be sports parents pushed the talented kids to make it to the "pros". They can start cashing in a few years earlier now. I'm not naive that life is so simple and pure always, it hasn't been. But, it does appear the good old halcyon days are in the rearview mirror.
For some reason I think of Rollerball.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

All great points that we’ve discussed and with which I agree. I’ll go another step. A guy like Jordan Davis was the 424th ranked player nationally, the 15th ranked player in his state and the 29th ranked DT coming out of HS as a 3*. He was just drafted as the 15th overall pick and is about to sign for generational wealth. You think Smart and his other uga coaches(closet homosexuals or not) deserve a little of that credit? The coaching and development they receive is worth millions in itself.

I do agree with Threat that we’re here and there’s no turning back. But I still think the whole thing is beyond ridiculous and such a massive departure already from how it was originally supposed to look.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's a cluster-**** that's only gonna get worse. But either you play the game or you don't.
There are zillionaire boosters to handle the load, and our $7 million a year head coach could certainly do his part recruiting. Haven't the average fans been shaken down enough?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
So much butt hurt. :cry2:Very few of us thought this was gonna be a good thing, And God knows it isn't sustainable.

But it is what it is. We have everything in our favor in Florida and the SEC. The only thing that stops us from winning the NC every year is ourselves. Now in the era if NIL even more so. We better embrace it or never see another championship.

Thank you for your concern over the comfort level of other people's butts. Have you ever considered a career in proctology?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well said and painfully accurate. Personally, It's going to be a helluva lot harder to remain fully invested in a "college" team largely composed of mercenaries and rank opportunists who couldn't care less about UF or the fans. IMHO, this crap is a dagger in the heart of what was the greatest sport on Earth for over a century. TBC, I don't really blame people for trying to make a buck, but make no mistake, CFB as we have known it is dead and gone. But what really pisses me off is the fact that this was instigated by a cabal of professional haters who jumped on the all pervasive "victimhood" bandwagon as an excuse to cash in bigtime - while pissing all over a great American tradition. FTAH, and horses they rode up on.
I disagree on the blame. Student athletes have been clamoring for decades about being able to earn something, anything from their NIL. The NCAA and the Power 5 turned it into a multibillion dollar business while turning a deaf ear to the student athletes. It bit them square on the ass and now they have absolutely no control over the situation.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I disagree on the blame. Student athletes have been clamoring for decades about being able to earn something, anything from their NIL. The NCAA and the Power 5 turned it into a multibillion dollar business while turning a deaf ear to the student athletes. It bit them square on the ass and now they have absolutely no control over the situation.

I totally agree that there is plenty of blame to go around. If the NCAA hadn't been so unbelievably stupid and greedy we may have avoided this schytfest. But while we're at it, don't forget the likes of Jimbo Fisher, et al, for turning what could have been a manageable accommodation into a total goat phukk. I'm sure there are other factors, but I'm too lazy and butt hurt to think about it anymore.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
There are zillionaire boosters to handle the load, and our $7 million a year head coach could certainly do his part recruiting. Haven't the average fans been shaken down enough?
Wow. Hating 2-bits was one thing but now you don't even want to support Gator athletes.:shakehead:

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
There are plenty of filthy rich boosters that could fully fund this collective. What I don't want is for anyone to be made to feel guilty or somehow less of a fan if they don't want to directly give money to these teens so they can put rims on their car and bling around their necks. I've supported the school for decades, watched every game since 1989. I must have bought 200 Gator shirts and hats.
Fcukers aren't getting any of my money

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I don’t know if it was so much turning a deaf ear to their concerns, as much as it was having the same logic/fact based rationale that’s been posted here regarding the value of what it already being received, and also recognizing the absolute disaster that would ensue the moment they opened that can. Now, I can agree that they did a poor job of communicating that defense. But based on the initial few months I’d say they were pretty much dead on.

And I hate the billion dollar argument. Amazon is a billion dollar company because of a bunch of people loading boxes and delivering packages at 30-50k annually. Exxon is a billion dollar company because of rough necks risking their lives and being paid a fraction of what the executives get. That’s really more my issue in all this. I hate the change in the traditional spirit of college athletics, but it’s also this “equality” push spurring it on that is ridiculous. We’re kicking the can of life down the road for them.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Then someone else can. I don't need Gator football to live.
Not with WWE wrestling around.

On top of that, many of these kids had the opportunity to get a degree from a school they'd never sniff without football opening the door for them.
What is it.? 50+% never get degrees.

"Go Paidors! C'mon Paidors, get up and go!" just doesn't have the same ring to me.
Now that line cheered me - :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator