Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I look at Jim McElwain's class going into his last season. it took a few cycles but he finally hired a few studs we had #1 recruiting class going into that season. Obviously we all knew that class wasn't going to stick , mainly because he refused to fire Doug nussmeier, focked the qb position totally and didn't recruit worth a shcit the 2 previous cycles.
So that's probably why I'm so passive about it. If we can bring a balanced class that hovers around the top 10 and be competitive on the field, I could us eventually turning the corner in recruiting.

That’s fair. I could live with that as long as we’re fielding good teams. I still question the patience aspect and whether he’ll get that long if he’s not producing. But I’m also still hopeful as I want him to be a long term guy.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I don't think all of our problems are NIL,related. According albaverdie, on3 has us top 5 in NIL funding. I just don't think we added many recruiters that have been real active in the region or in the national level really. Outside of Raymond , Peterson and Bateman, I don't think didn't really added anyone that already had relationships built in the southeast. I think we're likely gonna have to make some staff adjustments along with adapting in this NIL world.
One thing about NIL: You’d better take care of the players you have before you pour out $$$ to unproven recruits. Talk about demotivation.

I have heard BN mention they started with current players. Wonder where On3 or anyone else is getting reliable info on NIL

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I don't think all of our problems are NIL,related. According albaverdie, on3 has us top 5 in NIL funding. I just don't think we added many recruiters that have been real active in the region or in the national level really. Outside of Raymond , Peterson and Bateman, I don't think didn't really added anyone that already had relationships built in the southeast. I think we're likely gonna have to make some staff adjustments along with adapting in this NIL world.
Assume this is part of the issue, but how do you explain the guys who have visited campus 8-10 times and are still going elsewhere (or trending that way)? That is plenty of time to build relationships, even over just a few months. We even have reporters saying guys visited too much and essentially got bored.

I also think our NIL, or lack of NIL re recruits, is an issue. Seriously, when does Foley leave the building.

Separately, our collective being set up so quickly, private, and run by the first husband and wife to be friends with Heitner is also a problem and likely limiting contributions.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There is so much that we can point to that may be the issue, may not be, and perhaps a combination of all. I still really believe that UF is in a "lets see how you do under this new change" before people are committing. This is the 4th coaching change since UM and it has been, for a lack a better words, a continuous rinse and repeat of inept coaches, bad culture, and laziness. It seems as if its pretty much put up or shut up before some will go with UF. Now, we've seen a bit of those taking the leap. I'm looking at this as we've all said a re-build. Mullen IMO really damaged the UF brand and left a really bad taste. Napier is going to have to rinse that funk away and it just seems a big part of the reason we're dealing with this. And most of all, it's a time consumption process.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The D staff is doing their job with the exception of Bateman , who apparently sucks at his job . It was Toney who landed Shemar last year and will have to help out with LB recruiting too since Bateman is useless. We will see if he can coach worth a damn. Should be Wingo or Diwun next to Miller , but we will likely see Amari out there as a starter . Who hasn’t made a play in years

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Assume this is part of the issue, but how do you explain the guys who have visited campus 8-10 times and are still going elsewhere (or trending that way)? That is plenty of time to build relationships, even over just a few months. We even have reporters saying guys visited too much and essentially got bored.

I also think our NIL, or lack of NIL re recruits, is an issue. Seriously, when does Foley leave the building.

Separately, our collective being set up so quickly, private, and run by the first husband and wife to be friends with Heitner is also a problem and likely limiting contributions.
Foley has nothing to do with NIL. That has to do with boosters. Are you contributing?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
There is so much that we can point to that may be the issue, may not be, and perhaps a combination of all. I still really believe that UF is in a "lets see how you do under this new change" before people are committing. This is the 4th coaching change since UM and it has been, for a lack a better words, a continuous rinse and repeat of inept coaches, bad culture, and laziness. It seems as if its pretty much put up or shut up before some will go with UF. Now, we've seen a bit of those taking the leap. I'm looking at this as we've all said a re-build. Mullen IMO really damaged the UF brand and left a really bad taste. Napier is going to have to rinse that funk away and it just seems a big part of the reason we're dealing with this. And most of all, it's a time consumption process.
247 as well as many Podcaster have quite a few Gator recruiting Heavy Leans...when do the actually commit?
August? OR later.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
247 did a recruiting breakdown showing our positional needs relative to how many players we currently have at each spot on the field with eligibility past 2022.

It seems with the bodies currently on the team and current or likely commits we are at or approaching at least the minimum number of players we should be carrying for each position on the roster.

Except one: inside linebacker is a disaster.

We should be carrying 7-8 scholarship players at this position. We currently have four. Our target for this cycle is at least 3-4 ILB commits.

Right now, we have none.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
But again...why do these kids wait to decide?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Foley has nothing to do with NIL. That has to do with boosters. Are you contributing?
I don’t think it’s lack of funding. I think we’ve taken the stance of following the rules and state law by not offering deals before enrollment. That’s what I believe is causing us to lose recruits to teams like UT and Miami. Losing them to OSU, Bama and the dwags has been the norm for years unfortunately.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Thread title should be updated to the current status: Waiting on the next commit. (if there is one). :lol:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I don’t think it’s lack of funding. I think we’ve taken the stance of following the rules and state law by not offering deals before enrollment. That’s what I believe is causing us to lose recruits to teams like UT and Miami. Losing them to OSU, Bama and the dwags has been the norm for years unfortunately.
So, following the rules and the laws of the state you are funded by is wrong? If we can't win following all the rules as intended, stop playing the game.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
That and I speculate that it has much to do with the relationships. BN wasn’t on elite recruits’ radar at LA, so there is ground to catch up. We are seeing him get some very good guys in the footprint and I expect we’ll see some further success drawing from LA between him & Raymond. Showing the program’s improvement will be key and go hand in hand with continuing to build those relationships. Guys like Sale have the NFL chops but are a year or 2 behind. If we see flips, I bet they will come from guys like Peterson and Raymond, or the other LA coaches etc. longer ties to guys we want.

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
Its hard to come into a program with no connections from another state, another division and pick up the broken pieces. Napier has done wonders and at least the kids that I talk too here on the Space Coast are excited about Florida again. There are going to be kids that some say we should have got, that don't make it where ever they go, it always happens. There will be kids that we get, that we really don't want, that happens to. NIL has all but ruined the game IMHO. You take poor kids and give them money for the first time in their lives without any guidance and you're looking for trouble. I believe this coaching staff is looking for the kids that will buy in without being bought if that makes sense. We will be fine this year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How prepared for battle Nap gets the boys will mean a lot. Great preparedness only shows after playing can be observed. Nap's on-camera sideline corrections or support will let the team and us fans know.

'til then, maybe practice reports ... or player leaks ((gushes) will fire fans up.?
Our team will be much better because the overall coaching has immensely improved. Determination has been brought back from the edge of extinction ...or from the million $ beached shore of an island vacation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.