Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Precisely. BN was touted as an organization guru with a vision who could get it done on the trail. He embraced that expectation openly.

As of now WR and DB recruiting are hanging with the best. They seem to have their relationships developed…..

But one look at Bama’s and UGA’s hauls at OL, DT, and LB last year and this year is beyond sobering. They are LOADED in the trenches and second level of defense. UGA pulled a five star DT out of Bradenton, FL last year for Christ sakes. Each cycle we spend failing to reel in our share of elite players at these positions the way it seems we are once again doing on the edges offensively and defensively is another year we spend chasing our rivals because we can’t close the talent gap in key areas.

Stokes saved our blushes at qb this cycle, Webb is a great addition at RB, but one OL commit barely cracks the top 400 nationally and the other falls at 603rd. And we have a group of DEs committed who I like, but zero DTs and zero LBs. If people care about beating the dawgs, and they do, take a look at their DL, LB, and OL rosters, as well as how many of our DT targets lean UGA, and tell me you are satisfied with how things are going outside of WR and DB….
Good Christ. He hasn't coached a single down for the Gators yet, and you expect him to have out-recruited Saban and Kirby already? Under the circumstances, I am extremely happy with the job he's done so far, including on the trail.

You are going to look like an absolute fool when this class is finalized.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thread 'Chris Doering calls out Gators fans'
Chris Doering calls out Gators fans

“I’m a lifelong Gator fan. The son of two Florida grads. I lived in Gainesville growing up, so I feel like I can say this,” Doering said on the Crain & Company Show. “Our fanbase has become the worst. In terms of criticism and lack of patience. (Billy Napier) hasn’t even coached a game yet and his popularity has been up and down mostly because of the recruiting criticism he has gotten. That’s ultimately what cost Dan Mullen his job.”

“I don’t think people understood the disarray the program was in. The lack of elite SEC talent on that roster. I hope Florida fans understand where they are right now and how difficult the schedule is. I think if they go 8-4 with the schedule they have to face, that should be viewed as a successful season.”

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He may be right, but using Dan mullen as an example? That guys the very reason were in the dumper. 15 years of pathetic play, recruiting, and garbage coaching makes ppl doubt things are different "this" year bc they've heard that every year.

If we play well and have a great class then narratives will change immediately. It's as simple as that.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He may be right, but using Dan mullen as an example? That guys the very reason were in the dumper. 15 years of pathetic play, recruiting, and garbage coaching makes ppl doubt things are different "this" year bc they've heard that every year.

If we play well and have a great class then narratives will change immediately. It's as simple as that.
The problem isn’t people talking about the deficiencies and what he’s doing right and what he’s doing wrong. The problem is he’s only been here for a couple months and hasn’t coached a single game. Hell, he hasn’t even been through a single fall practice!

His staff has obviously been working their ass off and for the first time in 10 years we’ve been in it for recruits that matter! There are things that he’s done that I haven’t liked, and I think it’s great to discuss that on the board. But some people just don’t want to like him and they spin virtually every post attacking him.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Very accurate. There’s always been a huge contrarian presence in Gville since I was a kid. I’ve heard it attributed to everything from Spurrier and some of his recruiting(or not recruiting), to the fact that Ward won a title with fsu and the belief that UF would never allow a black QB, to some of the former greats not getting preferential treatment of their kids(Kelsey in recent years for example).

Whether I agree or not, it’s why I’ve said UF should never have empty seats or unsold tickets leading up to a game. There are a ton of kids in Gainesville that would love to go to that game but don’t have tickets and feel it’s out of reach. I give away tix and/or arrange for a kid, or group of small kids, to go to a game every year. It’s not that hard, and it would help to keep rekindle the Gator brand with kids who live within 15 minutes of BHG but who feel disenfranchised with the University.

Seems to me that UF not giving preferential treatment to football legacies appears to be exactly how they treat academic legacies so I am told.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The problem isn’t people talking about the deficiencies and what he’s doing right and what he’s doing wrong. The problem is he’s only been here for a couple months and hasn’t coached a single game. Hell, he hasn’t even been through a single fall practice!

His staff has obviously been working their ass off and for the first time in 10 years we’ve been in it for recruits that matter! There are things that he’s done that I haven’t liked, and I think it’s great to discuss that on the board. But some people just don’t want to like him and they spin virtually every post attacking him.
And are those ppl the majority? So much so that Chris doering credits the negative-no-matter-what attitude to the fan base at large? No. Outside of a few messages board posters and twats on the tweeter, everyone thinks he's doing great.

Doering's overreacting just like that minority group is.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

His staff is working harder at recruiting than any we've had since urbs.

But is there really a correlation between coaching and recruiting? Seems like the good recruiters have success recruiting regardless of their on field performance.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
His staff is working harder at recruiting than any we've had since urbs.

But is there really a correlation between coaching and recruiting? Seems like the good recruiters have success recruiting regardless of their on field performance.
I hope you’re right.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was agreeing with Doering until the Dan Mullen comment. Mullen lost his job because he kept doubling down on obviosly wrong decisions year after year, which lost him the respect of the locker room and eventually the media.

What's unfair to Napier is that fans were told for over a decade by the media that we were wrong about our last three coaches, and then at the end of their tenure, it was revealed we were right about practically every criticism. Now we are stuck in critic mode as a fan base because that's what we are used to, and we as a fan base have a pretty good track record of accuracy. However, I agree with Doering that we are impatient right now, the program was a mess, and some of the criticisms have been pre-mature.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And are those ppl the majority? So much so that Chris doering credits the negative-no-matter-what attitude to the fan base at large? No. Outside of a few messages board posters and twats on the tweeter, everyone thinks he's doing great.

Doering's overreacting just like that minority group is.
It’s not that they are the majority. It is that they are the loudest so they are seen the most.

Perception eventually is viewed as reality. We see this all the time.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was agreeing with Doering until the Dan Mullen comment. Mullen lost his job because he kept doubling down on obviosly wrong decisions year after year, which lost him the respect of the locker room and eventually the media.

What's unfair to Napier is that fans were told for over a decade by the media that we were wrong about our last three coaches, and then at the end of their tenure, it was revealed we were right about practically every criticism. Now we are stuck in critic mode as a fan base because that's what we are used to, and we as a fan base have a pretty good track record of accuracy. However, I agree with Doering that we are impatient right now, the program was a mess, and some of the criticisms have been pre-mature.
100%

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Under the circumstances, I am extremely happy with the job he's done so far, including on the trail.
Correct. At the present Nap is pulling UF out of past HC sabotage. IMO, he's got us on a solid plane for launching a well-developing team of properly oriented athletes for the hottest SEC competition. I am confident that a new UF era of "Vince Lombardi"-like grit will power our fighting style. I see us upsetting any overconfident opponent very gruffly. Gators are returning to playing rough & tough. Go Gators. Napier puts UF in the player development business for a change. And development is the HC's essential skill. Players that come will get better at being their best.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

I’m not worried about Napier; he’ll either win or not, but he’ll successfully block out all the nonsense.

My fear is that someone above him will care about the nonsense and not give him the time he needs. It seems to me that too many fans expect him to be the next Saban or Shart. I don’t think that’s who he is. The better comparison might be Dabo. The last three clowns (& Urbs to a certain extent) left the place a mess; it’s going to take three years - at least - to fix it. Whether we like it or not, we need to be patient.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019

Almost all of the posters here get that part. Unfortunately, there is a core group who won't wait to see the product on the field nor the actual result of the committed/ signing/ enrolled class. Those are the one's Doering is referring to as" the worst. In terms of criticism and lack of patience". His comment's are spot on!

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
T'were a lot easier to be a Gator fan when finishing in the top 25 was a great year. Went to ball games to cheer guys I knew from class. Never knew we recruited players (true, when I got to school and found out I asked why we wanted anyone at Florida that had to be asked). Bear Bryant had a chokehold on the SEC and beating Bammer was a seminal event. Ray Graves was the man. The televisation of college athletics has ruined the concept.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
T'were a lot easier to be a Gator fan when finishing in the top 25 was a great year. Went to ball games to cheer guys I knew from class. Never knew we recruited players (true, when I got to school and found out I asked why we wanted anyone at Florida that had to be asked). Bear Bryant had a chokehold on the SEC and beating Bammer was a seminal event. Ray Graves was the man. The televisation of college athletics has ruined the concept.

Still cool if I hang out here on your lawn or…?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The pessimistic volume gets turned up too loud on here.
Praise is contemptible pumping. Pumpers are declared idiots.
I should know. I'm an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator