2023 Win or get the fu(k out

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Bowl game or not. Today was an embarrassment on National TV and MacAfee will be laughing about the end on his show Monday. Count on it. He has like 4m daily viewers now. This was a REALLY bad look.
Here is the part of your post that I think it wrong...nobody was much paying attention to these lower case bowl games today, most folks out doing holiday stuff (at least where I live). As for MacAfee, I never heard of him and have no clue who he is and was not impressed with anything he said, so....just don't agree that this is such a bad look as you are extrapolating.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Generally, I try not to post when I'm emotionally "out of balance". It can cause you to say unbalanced things.........

Sometimes it takes 24 hours for reality and common sense to take over the narrative.

Give it some time, this year was never going to be a "good" year. It may even take 2 years of wondering in the wilderness to put the UF Football Program on solid ground again.

I hate loosing but it's the price of bad hires in the past.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Here is the part of your post that I think it wrong...nobody was much paying attention to these lower case bowl games today, most folks out doing holiday stuff (at least where I live). As for MacAfee, I never heard of him and have no clue who he is and was not impressed with anything he said, so....just don't agree that this is such a bad look as you are extrapolating.
He has a big Q score and has partnered with Peyton Manning. He does a daily live show with tons of viewership. Interviews top names weekly. Does NFL commentary and college games as well as WWE. Plus partnered with Fanduel. Huge following in the 18-25 kids.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
You want to know the dead giveaway that Billy’s “trust the process” is just lip service?

Kicking the field goal on 4th down with less than a minute to play rather than going for the end zone. Ultimately both the FG & TD, had he gone for it and converted, would be meaningless to the outcome. However, that call was strictly about keeping the scoring streak alive so Billy and his ego didn’t look bad being the HC responsible for ending the streak.

What happened to “scared money don’t make money”???

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
You want to know the dead giveaway that Billy’s “trust the process” is just lip service?

Kicking the field goal on 4th down with less than a minute to play rather than going for the end zone. Ultimately both the FG & TD, had he gone for it and converted, would be meaningless to the outcome. However, that call was strictly about keeping the scoring streak alive so Billy and his ego didn’t look bad being the HC responsible for ending the streak.

I hesitate to write this as I think Billy has shown his game day coaching and game management is not up to SEC snuff but I have no problem with kicking the FG to keep the streak alive. The bottom line is Oregon State had us beaten early in the 4th quarter. They kept their 1st string D in and kept blitzing the whole game. They were throwing the ball with 7 minutes left and a 30 point lead. It was obvious they wanted to end the streak more than they wanted to reward their back up players with playing time or practice good sportsmanship. I get it, especially for a PAC-12 team to kick an SEC team’s ass that badly. But, because they played for that instead of what a team would normally do with such a big lead in the 4th, I think us kicking the FG to make their efforts worthless was just fine. My gut says with out Billy hiring a good OC, getting a new DC, and getting a great QB in the portal we will lose the streak in Utah next year anyway. So, Fuchs the Beavers and I’m glad we didn’t lose the streak to them..

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

BS. If he wanted to kick the FG he should have done it the prior possession.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
@Pablos Tunnel I think you're right on that. I wondered all season who MacAfee was and why he was on GameDay. But yesterday, I got to watch the game with my niece and nephew who are home from UF. My nephew, age 21, is a huge fan of MacAfee and was explaining to us old people how great he is.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, of all the things to bytch and moan about, this? The scoring streak was a thing long before this game. Napier did the right thing, a selfless thing, by sending the field-goal unit on the field.

Can you imagine all the social media Kleenex boxes being emptied if he goes for it on fourth down and comes up empty? Move the phuck on.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

I have to disagree on the FG. (not trying to pile on here ... just an opinion .)

He should have kicked it the prior possession because there was no guarantee we would get another shot. If he had, and they made it, then you would have a point.

But he absolutely needed to put points on the board.

Hundreds of past players and dozens of coaches helped insure that record remained (at least so far) active.

Not getting shut out since 1988 is the last "good" records we have. We have been out matched by much. much better teams during that time spam.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, of all the things to bytch and moan about, this? The scoring streak was a thing long before this game. Napier did the right thing, a selfless thing, by sending the field-goal unit on the field.

Can you imagine all the social media Kleenex boxes being emptied if he goes for it on fourth down and comes up empty? Move the phuck on.
I was livid he didn't kick it on the prior possession. I'm still pissed about it. He got lucky we got the second chance.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was livid he didn't kick it on the prior possession. I'm still pissed about it. He got lucky we got the second chance.

It's not in Napier's DNA to do the cautious thing, and esp in a circumstance like this with the game outcome not in doubt. The only upside was school pride. I can imagine him biting his lip as the kicker lined up for that kick.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's not in Napier's DNA to do the cautious thing, and esp in a circumstance like this with the game outcome not in doubt. The only upside was school pride. I can imagine him biting his lip as the kicker lined up for that kick.
I bet he was and probably was most of the second half too.

I haven't had quite enough time to soak this in and write a rational post yet.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I agree.

It was a lower tier bowl, played before (way before) Christmas. The fans of the two programs will remember it and that’s it. We played with our 3rd string QB and were missing some key guys and a lot of backups. Nobody else will even be talking about it. Unless he wins fewer than five games, CBN will be back in ‘24. And quite frankly, I believe he should get three years minimum as long as everything off the field keeps trending well.

I know it sucks to watch, but if things are ever going to get better, we need to be patient. Our roster has a ways to go.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree.

It was a lower tier bowl, played before (way before) Christmas. The fans of the two programs will remember it and that’s it. We played with our 3rd string QB and were missing some key guys and a lot of backups. Nobody else will even be talking about it. Unless he wins fewer than five games, CBN will be back in ‘24. And quite frankly, I believe he should get three years minimum as long as everything off the field keeps trending well.

I know it sucks to watch, but if things are ever going to get better, we need to be patient. Our roster has a ways to go.
@Gator By Marriage

I am starting to get my rationalization back after yesterday. It sucks to lose. One thing that I wanted to comment on your post about the roster and I went back and looked at it this morning.

Of the 2 deep depth chart on both Offense and Defense: UF listed played:
23 FR
15 SO
02 JR - (1 of them, Reese who is 2nd string)
02 SR - (Burney and Dean, nuff said there)

I should be able to post more once the coffee starts hitting. :coffee:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is a great schedule for UF but expect it to change. Word is, Oklahoma and Texas may try and come to the SEC next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.