Best Posts in Thread: The primary role of the sports message board

1. oxrageous

oxrageous It's Good to be King
    Administrator

Oxbucks:
    $13,667
    Ratings:
    +28,727 / -486
    I had a member last night that was disappointed that a couple of people were dishing out personal attacks, and I wrote him a PM this morning. However, I thought it was important enough of a topic to share much of what I wrote right here.

I consider myself as providing a valuable community service here, and I'm only half joking when I say that. I think the primary reason for a sports message board to even exist is for therapeutic reasons; i.e. venting / letting it all out. Before message boards, a lot of pissed off, drunk men would take it out on their families, wives, or pets - or they would simply destroy property in fits of rage. In some cases it was so bad the police had to be called. I myself used to punch holes in walls back in the 90's during football games; part of me wonders if I could have avoided that had Gatorchatter been around. Hell, the governor should give me a medal for reducing the crime rate.

Obviously, the past decade has been particularly bad. It's a helpless feeling to see something you loved destroyed by incompetence and you have no power to do anything but watch the destruction. So, when something like what happened last night happened, I try to stand out of people's way and let them vent. Most vent in a controlled manner - some lash out at others. If they get totally out of hand I will send them away for the night to cool off, otherwise I will leave it alone. In most cases, those being attacked are super pissed too and don't hold grudges because they know the other is just letting off steam. Also, keep in mind that I was extremely pissed myself and didn't have the best judgement going on either. It's not like I'm a neutral observer in all this destruction; part of me wishes I was.

At any rate, the rage has subsided and a lot of crime has now been avoided due to Gatorchatter. It's honestly nice to have a place to commiserate with people that have the same interests. I'd rather cry in my coffee with you guys than cry alone. I hope no one did any real harm to anything or anyone last night.

Discuss.

• MJMGator

MJMGator Slightly amused
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $5,961
      Ratings:
      +17,439 / -218
      I’m way past getting irate over Gator football. If you haven’t come to grips after the last decade, then there’s little hope you ever will.

• FlyingGator

FlyingGator Well-Known Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $459
        Ratings:
        +538 / -2
        [​IMG]

• oxrageous

Administrator

Oxbucks:
          $13,667
          Ratings:
          +28,727 / -486
          I think those guys were diverted to NV's house instead. :lol:

I hope he's okay this morning.

• oxrageous

Administrator

Oxbucks:
            $13,667
            Ratings:
            +28,727 / -486
            At least gatorbro learned how to click the quote button. Maybe he'll make a post when he regains consciousness.

• FlyingGator

FlyingGator Well-Known Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $459
              Ratings:
              +538 / -2
              My house after bad game before I joined Gatorchatter..

[​IMG]

and after...

[​IMG]

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey TaggelwainLivesMatter
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $23,708
                Ratings:
                +48,037 / -1,757
                [​IMG]

It hurts, Ox. It hurts bad.

• oxrageous

Administrator

Oxbucks:
                  $13,667
                  Ratings:
                  +28,727 / -486
                  Hell, I was reading back in the thread. In posts #64 and #65, gatorbro quoted my original post with no responses at all, getting a total of thirteen "drunks" as a result and half a dozen posts of drunk gifs following that for good measure. Then, TWO MONTHS LATER, he bumps the thread to finally respond for real.

I think the guy really is drunk.

• oxrageous

Administrator

Oxbucks:
                    $13,667
                    Ratings:
                    +28,727 / -486
                    When you're lashing out at cover2, who is one of the most mild-mannered souls out there, you know you are super, super pissed. :lol:

There's no doubt he slept outside last night, a bottle of bourbon clutched in one hand.

• oxrageous

Administrator

Oxbucks:
                      $13,667
                      Ratings:
                      +28,727 / -486
                      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
                      • Drunk Drunk x 1
                      • List

78 Dazed and Confused
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $8,996
                        Ratings:
                        +14,966 / -535
                        I remember feeling insanely frustrated watching my beloved Blackhawks lose a close game when I was nine years old. My parents had company over upstairs.

I walked upstairs and announced I was going to stab the ref in the heart for putting Mikita in the penalty box late in the final period.

They all looked at me like I had just announced my mother sucked c*cks in hell.

• divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $4,357
                          Ratings:
                          +13,418 / -70
                          I find punching my neighbor's cat to be cathartic.......and sometimes my neighbor.

• Thick&ThinG8r

Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                            $572
                            Ratings:
                            +1,027 / -44
                            Piss off.

• Like Like x 10
                            • Drunk Drunk x 2
                            • List
                            • soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $5,723
                              Ratings:
                              +10,430 / -46
                              Again with the insults.

Unreal.

• Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $2,659
                                Ratings:
                                +6,938 / -293
                                "Intellectual conversation"......in this place...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

• G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator Intrepid Chauvinist
                                  Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $1,572
                                  Ratings:
                                  +1,595 / -63
                                  I used to have more of a championship-or-bust mentality, and would be bitterly disappointed at the point in any given sports season when my team of choice was eliminated from contention. That was before any of my teams actually won one. Then I got these, I think in the following order if I've got it right:
                                  • Gators (football)
                                  • Marlins
                                  • Marlins
                                  • Gators (basketball)
                                  • Heat
                                  • Gators (football)
                                  • Gators (basketball)
                                  • Gators (football)
                                  • Heat
                                  • Heat
                                  • Gators (baseball)
                                  The first one, the Gators in '96, felt fantastic when it happened. Finally!

But shortly afterwards, I had sort of an epiphany: My life hadn't changed one bit! I still had to go to my same old job. Nobody was more impressed with me than they'd been before. I didn't get a ring, or a trophy, or certainly not a cash prize. Nobody carried me around on their shoulders. And the thing is, even if they did, they would've had to put me down eventually. Life goes on, no different than before.

I guess after investing all that time, emotion and money in pursuit of that elusive goal of seeing my team win it all, I was expecting...I don't know. Something more than an opportunity to buy a Nat'l Champs t-shirt, and one round of begrudging congrats from my co-workers?

I'd hate to call it disillusion, but it did feel like kind of a let down. That feeling soon passed, though, and I wanted to win another one.

Then, "I" did win another one. Or rather, one of my teams did. And then another, and another, and another. After each one, it became progressively less and less of a big deal. I came to realize something, and I know it sounds like a super-cheesy cliché, but it's true: The real joy doesn't come from reaching the mountaintop; it comes from the climb.

I am a sports fan. I like watching games. I love when my team wins...that game. That day. I'm not fixated on "winning it all," because as I've learned, that joy is fleeting and inconsequential in terms of its real impact on my life.

I'm not really sure the point of this, other than to share my personal perspective. I'm not trying to tell anyone else how to think or approach things, but I do feel like my day-to-day outlook on following sports is a healthy one. For me it is, anyway.

Let's put it this way: You may not believe me, but I was happy and relieved when LeBron James left my Miami Heat, and I'd never want him back. I don't think it would be much fun to be an Alabama fan or a New England Patriots fan, for the same reason. It's a drag to be stuck with that championship-or-bust mentality. For me, it kills the joy of just watching and enjoying each individual game.

It's not "my" win when my team wins; I don't play on the team. By the same token, a loss is not "my" loss, so I don't take it to heart too much. I just like watching games, not taking anything for granted, and not knowing what I'm gonna get.

That's it. Thanks for reading my ramblings if you made it this far.

[​IMG]

• PaulDrake

PaulDrake Della Street's Baby Daddy
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $485
                                    Ratings:
                                    +923 / -15
                                    It's amazing to me how much over reaction one can expect after a loss or a series of losses. My god, Mullen inherited a frickin' dog of a program. It's like everyone has mental whiteout from the last two coaches who turned out to be unbelievably shyt hires. Hell, Mullen may turn out to be three in a row, who knows. But the guy inherited a program that has been stripped of everything that made it competitive. Mullen has more than a mountain to climb, he has an Everest times two. I'm not a pumper because I can throw him under the bus just as fast as everyone else that have build in pessimistic view points. But for the love of god I'm going to five the guy a shot and it may take a year or two.

As for this board it's a god send and I can't thank Ox enough for the work he's done and is doing. I like talking and sharing Gatordom with like minded fans. I may go spells without contributing but I am constantly reading and checking in when I don't have much to say. I'm not as articulate or insight as most on here but I like to jump in and prove I'm an idiot once in a while by opening my mouth. As for being attacked big deal. I've been reamed by experts over my lifetime and the stuff I see and hear on this board is amateur at best. Keyboard courage is the cheapest commodity there is which means it's not anything to lose sleep over. But I'm at the point that I can't imagine NOT having this board to come to. The others pall in comparison which says all you need to know about Aaron [Ox]. Anyway, I'll continue to be optimistic that somewhere down the road we will come out of this and that's part of the fun. If that wasn't true than the Cubs and Red Sox franchises would have folded decades ago.....

• diehardg8r

diehardg8r Junior Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $929
                                      Ratings:
                                      +2,807 / -54
                                      I can't plaster mine, new piece of sheet rock. I also put some chicken wire around my TV...like the stage for the Blues Bros.

• divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
                                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                        $4,357
                                        Ratings:
                                        +13,418 / -70
                                        Yeah, no doubt his wife just let him sleep it off in the bushes last night.

• VAGator

VAGator GCLM
                                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                          $13
                                          Ratings:
                                          +19 / -0
                                          As to the OP...
                                          1) To provide a place to hear what similar minded individuals think about the status of UF and then debate/discuss/disagree etc.
                                          2) To fight like brothers and sisters over our opinions and to rejoice together when things go well. Go home if ur a BayBe:cry2:
                                          3) Hear and see a lot of f'ing funny ****.

Thank you OX for providing all of the above!

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                                              • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                              • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.