Florida State is in shambles: throw INT in end zone after being in winning FG range

Which would you rather see?

• UF wins 2020 National Championship

Votes: 146 81.1%
  • FSU football program permanently dismantled

Votes: 34 18.9%

• Total voters

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Believe it or not, I could actually see Kelly. He may very well have realized that he can make the playoff in a perfect storm season, but that's it. The academic restrictions he faces at ND will always prevent him from going any further. Add that to the fact that he's entered virtually every year for a decade on a "warm seat", and he may decide he's tired of that and that it's time for something different. Similar landscape, knows the opponents and could probably do fairly well.

iu

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We might be overestimating how concerned Urban is about the Ring of Honor...

Not so sure about that. Great coaches all have giant egos. Meyer is no different. He has the chance to have his name hanging above a football stadium for eternity. As I said, if fsu was just that "too good to resist" job right now, I could maybe see it. But the combination of all factors tells me he wouldn't.

Sound like it's moot. Their AD just issued a statement that none of Newburg's story was/is true. I don't believe that necessarily, but he also emphatically brought up Meyer by name and said they'd never consider him.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Sound like it's moot. Their AD just issued a statement that none of Newburg's story was/is true. I don't believe that necessarily, but he also emphatically brought up Meyer by name and said they'd never consider him.

Is this the AD they are supposed to be replacing?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Two reasons Urby won't go to FSU:
1) At this point in his career he's not walking into a dumpster fire/rebuild. Smart coaches know better.
2) He's a $10M/yr, 7 year kinda guy. FSU could barely afford WiLLLLLLLie at $5M/yr. Throw in the $20-25M they'll need to get rid of Taggert, buy out current assistant's contracts, and buy out new assistant contracts and there is just no way they can afford it.
3) Meyer hates FSU as much as we do.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I don't think it's as much about his not liking the noles, as much as it is that there will be other places that will be more attractive as a destination than fsu presently. The talent will be far less than it has been by the time a new coach comes in. And we haven't even seen yet what type of backlash this potential firing will cause.

If there's one thing Meyer's shown it's that he hates losing and will pick destinations based on his ability to win, and win immediately. Anything less than that would only tarnish his image.

So yeah, they may be able to come up with some big money. Maybe. But so can several other jobs that will be opening if not this year then next. And they may not have half the baggage.
This is the most likely when it comes to Ol Urbs. It’s why USCw makes the most sense. No really strong conference rival to deal with. Fertile recruiting ground where any decent competition is far away. Roster with some good (tho not great) talent. He’d have them winning their conference in two to three years.

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
Not so sure about that. Great coaches all have giant egos. Meyer is no different. He has the chance to have his name hanging above a football stadium for eternity. As I said, if fsu was just that "too good to resist" job right now, I could maybe see it. But the combination of all factors tells me he wouldn't..

Understand and agree... I don't mean to say Meyer takes the FSU job, ever. My thinking was that the ROH would likely be pretty far down the list of reasons that he wouldn't take it.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I agree with this line of thought. At the same time I think they can get someone good at a reasonable salary. It would have to be a Freeze or Kiffin type. Someone that has some slime about them. Would FSUx go there though?
I was thinking Kiffin as well. But then again not going with a minority could cause all kinds of headaches.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Any mentions of Jon Gruden yet? They seem to be following the typical Tennessee fan base pattern - it’s only a matter of time.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I was thinking Kiffin as well. But then again not going with a minority could cause all kinds of headaches.
Kiffin would take less money than others just to roll the dice on restoring the narrative he’s a good HC. Love him or hate him, there’d be some buzz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator