Votes: 70 29.3%
  • B+

Votes: 28 11.7%

• Total voters

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Give Mullen an A. The players actually bought into what Mullen was preaching. That right there is a big improvement.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With this destruction of Michigan we have exorcised our Michigan and Butters demons. We also shut the door on FSU in a huge way. What a great way to end the year! Go Gators!!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I gave him an A-. I thought he did well going 3-3 vs the top 25. That's up from his MSU days and a very important metric.

I do have a question though...I keep hearing about how bad Mac was and how we only had a 4 win team last year. Mac was a 4 win coach but the talent was better, IMHO. You can't argue both sides. Mac coached em down? Right? Then Mullen coached them back up again? The talent was obviously better than 4 wins.

Mullen has us trending up. Keep us moving in the direction. Close on the trail. No regression.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I went with an A-. Too much accomplished to give anything lower with the shyt show that he inherited. Sure UK and Mizzou were not what we expected but this team not folding up meant more to me in the long run. CDM checked off a lot of the expectations on my list this year. Defending the Swamp will get back to where it needs to be soon enough. One thing that meant a lot is he took back control of this team and the locker room. To hear the team respond to him after the game and thanking him is a true testament. When you have players considering quitting and Mullen gets them to buy in, that's a coach you want. I've also been one of the biggest FF critics. To see him emotionally break down tells me alot. He earned some more respect from me on Saturday. This is all to credit CDM and his staff. Thank you for a season that we could all at least enjoy. I am fully expecting to be in ATL in early December next year. Go Gators!

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I’m absolutely shocked at the amount of apathy that’s set in to the fan base if this is the means for the majority.

I know, I’m a grouch.
I see zero apathy on this board. Some people are just more patient than others. And factoring in real world considerations is not "settling" or "resignation to mediocrity" - it's about equipping yourself with enough facts to make a reasonable estimate of a given situation. I believe that DM deserves an A, or at least an A-, depending on how you view recruiting. More will be revealed on NSD, and the grade may well change accordingly. A strong finish should solidify an A for even the most demanding observer.

Remember, DM's first season did not spring into being, fully-formed from some rarefied vacuum. He hammered it together out of the wreck he inherited from McNumbnut and fueled it with his own zeal and passion for "The Gator Standard." By any reasonable standard, we are off to an excellent start in this new era of UF FB, and DM sure as hell isn't apathetic - not by a long shot.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The people who do not acknowledge what a great job the coaching staff did this year are largely the same people you are clueless about recruiting and who did not acknowledge that this roster is the least talented in at least 30 years... those who clapped when Butters brought home classes stuffed with a dozen stolen from FIU.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The people who do not acknowledge what a great job the coaching staff did this year are largely the same people you are clueless about recruiting and who did not acknowledge that this roster is the least talented in at least 30 years... those who clapped when Butters brought home classes stuffed with a dozen stolen from FIU.
Might be interesting to do a detailed analysis of CUM with CDM. Of course, Myer wins recruiting, but I guess CDM wins the season.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Right now I have them as a solid B. Just because I was expecting an F or a D season doesn’t turn B quality work into an A.

We lost to a UK team we should’ve beaten. Got taught a lesson by Mizzou and failed to take advantage on opportunities against UGAy.

We beat a good LSU team. Improved throughout the year...mostly. Ended the season really strong over the four games.

Recruiting should end better than Butters, but not leaps and bounds. If he ends up top 10 recruiting with the two transfers discussed, he gets a bump to a B+.

You could then make the case for extra credit based on culture change.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Injuries are part of the game but for a team as thin as we were on defense too many people are blaming the coaching too much for the kentucky game in my opinion. New system and players tend to play slower until they have internalized it and that is compounded when C.C. is out and you lose your best and only other significant experience in the backfield I.e. Wilson. People seem to forget they scored twice on third and long which despite the inflated score from the last play of the game was the difference.

Missouri game and effort was likely a hangover from uga but still inexcusable across the board and I never wanted Franks pulled more than in that game. Defense was just as bad

Uga was too big a moment for the guys. Franks reverted and Scarlett fumbled as a result from trying too hard imo but the game plan to win was there. My biggest gripe about coaching in that game was not calling a timeout after the first busted coverage on Georgia's last drive of the half. And then the 2nd. And then the 3rd. Saw the score coming and it changed the game. Wasted a great half of defense on one 2 minute drive.

All things considered I think it was a B+A- year for the coaching mainly because I think talent in the starting ranks has been there but the two deep is where we drop off. If we stayed healthy I thought we could win most of our games and for the most part we did on both accounts.

His job with Franks is an A+ and if you don't agree I don't know what else to tell you

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It also took a while to get the kids to believe.

Imo this is the biggest thing. You heard Lewishat was Lewis, right?--saying he was ready to quit. I doubt he was the only one. They were certainly playing like a team that quit and didnt believe in Butters.

This is a big deal. Attitude is everything, and he had to figure out how to bring them back without breaking the most fragile of the bunch.

The psychological aspect of making kids winners was actually CUM's strength. He was never really an Xs and Os guy. It seems like some of it has rubbed off on Mullinz.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
A team of football players has to respect their coach. That is the first thing. The second thing is that the players have to believe the coach cares about them as people. And the third thing is the coach has to respect his players. He has to feel like they are buying in. Without those three things the “x’s and o’s“ won’t matter. Without those three things the mojo won’t be there. That wide sweep on fourth down gets thrown for a loss. Mullen was able to check all three boxes. And that my thirsty Gators is the difference.

:chomp:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I am re watching the game and I have to say again that Mullen did wonders with Franks. The kid has heart and grit and gives his all. I think Jones will take us to the next level but its Franks job to lose. This game was fun like the clown game.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I gave Mullen an A+
Mostly to anger some people.
Partly because the question is Mullinz’ grade for the first year. Not the team’s grade. Not recruiting.
So the question is how did Mullen do with this band of misfit toys? Could anyone have done better?
Mullen far surpassed anyone’s realistic expectations. Not so much in the final record (I optimistically thought we’d could get 9 wins) but in the execution. At best I thought it would be a boring, unremarkable, no hope for the future kind of season and it was the exact opposite.
We all know the vast improvements we witnessed so I won’t go in to that. The question in my mind is could any other coach have done better and I think not. That’s why Mullen gets an A+.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
It also took a while to get the kids to believe.

Imo this is the biggest thing. You heard Lewishat was Lewis, right?--saying he was ready to quit. I doubt he was the only one. They were certainly playing like a team that quit and didnt believe in Butters.

This is a big deal. Attitude is everything, and he had to figure out how to bring them back without breaking the most fragile of the bunch.

The psychological aspect of making kids winners was actually CUM's strength. He was never really an Xs and Os guy. It seems like some of it has rubbed off on Mullinz.
hes a few wins away from you spelling his name correctly. That’s his biggest accomplishment imho

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
The offense threw for 2,779 yards with a broken qb, a perennial bench warmer, and a freshman. I think just about every part of this team over performed. He got Franks to rush for 350. 350!!! Franks finished 45th in qbr.

ESPN has us finishing 39th in total offense and the NCAA ranks us 45th. I think most of us would have been happy seeing us in the top 100 and I predicted around 70th. Just amazed what he was able to squeeze out of a dried out program in year one. And a lot of this doesn’t happen without Jefferson and Grimes coming in.

Last edited:

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
The psychological aspect of making kids winners was actually CUM's strength. He was never really an Xs and Os guy. It seems like some of it has rubbed off on Mullinz.[/QUOTE said:

Despite what Ispaz would have us believe, DM was Urbie's X's and O's guy. The psychological aspect was the question, and like you said, he passed with flying colors

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb