Ever visit the Baker Creek site?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ever visit the Baker Creek site?
I never heard of them until you mentioned their name. Very nice site and I will try to look a little closer at the varieties they offer, their focus seems to be on heirloom seeds. The heritage behind some of the corn and bean cultivars is really old and facinating.
I tried growing a number of heirloom tomato varieties last year including Cherokee Purple, Japanese Black Trifele (actually a purple), and a couple of different cherry varieties alongside a Beefmaster. The purples (mostly originated in Russia) have an outrageous flavor but it seems the heirlooms are more susceptable to all kinds of problems and the yield is substantially less so I decided this year to stick to 2 hybrids. Nothing worse than beginning to germinate seeds in February, do your best to care for them all spring and wind up with a dismaI garden in June. I do have a Cherokee Purple that came up as a volunteer in another pot so I pulled and repotted it. It has one really nice looking tomato on it that should be ready to eat with several more small ones coming.
Do you have a garden?

Glass Gem Corn, and other heirloom jewels of the corn cabinet... - Milkwood: permaculture courses, skills + stories

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I never heard of them until you mentioned their name. Very nice site and I will try to look a little closer at the varieties they offer, their focus seems to be on heirloom seeds. The heritage behind some of the corn and bean cultivars is really old and facinating.
I tried growing a number of heirloom tomato varieties last year including Cherokee Purple, Japanese Black Trifele (actually a purple), and a couple of different cherry varieties alongside a Beefmaster. The purples (mostly originated in Russia) have an outrageous flavor but it seems the heirlooms are more susceptable to all kinds of problems and the yield is substantially less so I decided this year to stick to 2 hybrids. Nothing worse than beginning to germinate seeds in February, do your best to care for them all spring and wind up with a dismaI garden in June. I do have a Cherokee Purple that came up as a volunteer in another pot so I pulled and repotted it. It has one really nice looking tomato on it that should be ready to eat with several more small ones coming.
Do you have a garden?

Glass Gem Corn, and other heirloom jewels of the corn cabinet... - Milkwood: permaculture courses, skills + stories
I do not. I really just don't have time, but I have an Ag background and I love researching stuff. Hope to get a garden going in the next couple years, but it'll be a go big type deal. So I'm heavy researching now, so i have reference points.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, diatomaceous earth for arthropods

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I do not. I really just don't have time, but I have an Ag background and I love researching stuff. Hope to get a garden going in the next couple years, but it'll be a go big type deal. So I'm heavy researching now, so i have reference points.

Awesome. Get to know Dr. Elaine Ingham and the council she runs with.

the message in this one begins to come through after a couple of minutes

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Saturday morning in the big garden applying residual herbicide. I’m going to try and remember to take this picture through the course of the crop as it develops all the way to harvest.
A2B007B3-EC3F-463C-8A37-3340C4FC7B53.jpeg

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Dang that cotton's coming on quick. What do you rotate crops with?
Unfortunately this is the 4th consecutive season my place is in cotton, although my yields have gotten progressively better with only marginally increased input costs. I’d love to rotate to corn or soybeans but the economics just don’t work right now. If all goes to plan it will be in soybeans next year.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Small garden this afternoon. Some tomatoes are starting to ripen and it looks like I’m gonna have to turn the boy loose with a pellet rifle if these birds don’t leave them alone. Got some banana, bell and jalapeño’s coming along too.

Attachments

• 44E3EB03-7E11-481A-B854-D9FAEFF00C81.jpeg
    44E3EB03-7E11-481A-B854-D9FAEFF00C81.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 08975AE7-61C1-4893-9952-874E1531E79B.jpeg
    08975AE7-61C1-4893-9952-874E1531E79B.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 66
  • B29F0084-53FF-4A27-9DD1-90CE93BC7884.jpeg
    B29F0084-53FF-4A27-9DD1-90CE93BC7884.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 70

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like you got a bunch of tomatoes on those bushes. I'm picking mine 3 or 4 days before I really would like cause I know if I don't schit happens. That lone Cherokee Purple I have I found a worm hole in the bottom today.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@Okeechobee Joe -nice color, I planted some last year, smaller yellow and white bloom didn't come back this year. There was a patch of lillies that were growing around an old stump here that was about to take over the yard, finally got them and the stump dug out and gave a lot to several neighbors.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Awesome. We've had BLT's 3 of the last 5 days for dinner and I think we're gonna have them again tonight.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
The taste on the Creoles is amazing. Being from LA, I always heard they wouldn’t do well north of Baton Rouge due to climate and soil ph. That is utter BS. These are the real deal and will make up half my plants next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator