24 years since that glorious night - 1/2/1997; where were you?

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Here it was, the play that finished Nebraska. We were going ballistic.

I was putting up a Christmas tree in my townhouse in Fullerton watching that game. I broke a few ornaments jumping up and down watching that play.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have no memory of where I was.

It was my first year at UF and I went to every game. So much different game day experience vs today.

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
I was there with my best bud- drove from Atlanta and reviled in the cesspool that is NO--- what a glorious night and the tickets were free.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Stationed in VA and parents were visiting for Christmas. My second born was about 4 days old. Dad and I watched the game and kept asking, "is this really happening?" It felt surreal and so freaking awesome. My clown BIL sent me a front page of the loss in tally for Christmas. I got to return the favor.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have no memory of where I was.

It was my first year at UF and I went to every game. So much different game day experience vs today.

A better experience. University Ave. is no longer an appealing place to be on game day. It’s one big money grab.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
At the game.
Bought our tickets on line and ended up sitting by a couple of Noles in dorky Cat-in-the hat hats. Normally sitting by Noles would not be a good thing but these guys were not taking it well. I remember them storming off cussing Spur Dog after our last score saying something about him running up the score.
Damn what a night.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was at the game with my father. One of the great memories I have with him. He'd been a lifelong Gator fan and alum and kept commenting that he thought he'd never see the day.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Watched from home as a senior in highschool. Was nervous at half time. 2nd half was glorious, I'll never forget it.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Funny you ask Ox. I was at the game because my dad was handed tickets at work. Been a Gator ever since.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I shared my experience during the championship game so now for the SEC championship game experience when we knew we would be playing for it all.

My oldest and I attended the SECCG in Atlanta to include the fanfare pregame activities.
My son and I were waiting in line for the field goal kicking booth with a couple of cool Bama fans in front of us in line.

About 30 yards away about 200 people were huddled in front of a 19” TV that had the Big 12 championship game on. We heard from some people that Nebraska was ahead but it was really close. The crowd around the tv was bouncing around like children that needed to pee and the suspense was killing us so one of the Bama fans went over.
A few seconds later those 200 people roared like 10,000 people and we knew something amazing had happened.

The Bama fan comes back and tells us what happened. The two Bama guys were crushed because they knew their best chance to win was against an unmotivated gator team. That hope was gone completely.

Suddenly the game became ten times bigger and we had a jump in our step the rest of the day.

A truly memorable day for me and my son

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My boss went so that meant I had to mind the fort and not go. I watched it on TV and banged his wife in celebration.
The details are vague here, but did any of this involve kidnapping and forcible assault? If so, it would still rank only about 5th on your list of "Worst things I've ever done."

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Sophomore in high school planning my sh!t talking the next day to all the "FSU" fans at my school (that are now all UGLY fans).

As much as the Nebraska loss stands out I also remember watching the Rose Bowl going crazy.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I was at my uncle’s house near Boulder Colorado with @jaywalker72, who was my roommate at the time. We drove home playing “Celebrate” on the radio over and over.

He can also confirm I called the final score before the game.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
As for the 1996 SECC game buildup, I was eating in The Varsity in downtown Atlanta watching that NU-UT game, the place erupted when that play happened. The SECC game was incredible, with Danny sealing the Heisman, the two old long time Bammer fans next to me paid him the ultimate compliment, both said that they thought the greatest QB they ever saw was Namath, until Danny.

As for the title game, was in Dunedin with my late uncle, lifelong Gator, watching on the tube, he actually shed tears of joy when the clock ran out. Great memory for sure.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I watched it alone, at a rather nice hotel in the Orlando area, while serving as art director on a promotional video shoot for Murray lawn tractors. I'll never forget the feeling of exhilaration that washed over me as we continued to pile on the points and FSU lost their composure and started committing one stupid, self-destruction personal foul after another. It was a moment of triumph, vindication and unbounded joy that I will never forget.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Keith jackson was from Macon, that's all you need to know
Jackson was a dwag doosh who never passed up an opportunity to trash the Gators. He was a talented announcer and I enjoyed his play by paly, but he was an unapologetic gator hater to the marrow of his bones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.