24 years since that glorious night - 1/2/1997; where were you?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You haven't us told us where YOU were, Donkey. Did you even see the game?
Watching the game in NC. It kind of sucked because I couldn't celebrate with anyone thereafter. There were no Gators around. Couldn't rewind it and watch again. Nothing.

Didn't really get to celebrate til I returned to Hoggetowne a week or so later.

I think I would have preferred being in Hoggetowne even more than Norlins. Im sure the party lasted days even with students gone.

Last edited:

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
I was sitting with my older brother (Class of '95) in his bedroom. Watching the beatdown is still one of the greatest joys of my life. When Terry Jackson broke for that long TD run, that's when we knew it was over and we had won our first natty. I remember my brother dropping his head in tears of joy. It's a memory I will always keep close to my heart.

I'll also remember all the dominos that had to fall into place for us to get that chance. I was working in college and got home late, long after the Texas-Nebraska game was over, so I had no idea who won. In those days, it wasn't easy to get that information instantly. When I woke up the next morning and saw the headline in the newspaper sitting outside my neighbor's dorm room that Texas had done it, I couldn't believe it and teared up, and nearly fell to the floor because I knew we had a chance again. And a few weeks later, Ohio State confirmed that for us. I could live to be 120 years old and nothing will be more special in football than our first National Title in 1996.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I was there , saw jevon kearse on bourbon street after the game too. I bet I’m one of the few on here that was actually at the game too. Suckas
rich doctors.......:shakehead:.........I went to every damned sugar bowl up to that one. Went to Tempe the year before to meet the Huskers. I told the ex that it looke foggy on that drive to NO and had a bad feeling about it. She never let me forget. But we watched it inGville. I loved that lead in music and had the tape for years. I drove my kids down Univ ave in my van. The girls were thrilled. The boy who was 6 was terrified at the crazy fckrs screaming in the streets. The game was a glorious culmination of 90 yrs of futility and anguish. SOS was our savior and Danny, Riedel Terry and the others were his disciples. The Pat Obrien Hurricanes were the communion. It was the greatest game of our lives and I stayed home. Probably would have died in a fiery crash near the Milton exit on 10. Thank YOU GOD..............

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
In a hotel room in Tally with three huge Nole fans. It was glorious. I was in a jazz ensemble that had played at the governor's New Year's Eve party. The governor's people put us up in a hotel for the 1st to recover. The Lt. Governor was Buddy MacKay who (it is my understanding) personally paid for us to stay on the 2nd as well so that he could give us a personal tour of the capital and introduce us around. None of us was older than 18. The guy was cool as hell.

The guys that I was bunking with were all huge Nole fans. Two of them would end up being alumni. So much **** was talked by them prior to the game. The only thing that could have made it better was beer.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
corch I was a junior at UF who didnt have 2 nickels to rub together. I struggled for many years until i achieved what the american dream allows for.
i was messing with you..........actually bowl games were cheap for me.........bought tix on street for pennies on the dollar and found a cheap hotel.........i saved my coin for GOOD cajun food........and them Cafe Dumond Beniegts................

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb