Diwun Black WILL be attending UF....by his 30th birthday

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Twitter is a nightmare. No way to edit. It sucks.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I thought Black was the best player in the last recruiting class. I'm not feeling great about the vibe of the program right now.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The only way you're right in this scenario is if we don't lose anyone else from the class and they all contribute/become starters. This class got off to a 3 man head-start on the classes ranked above us. So, starting now...if our class and all the other school's classes have normal attrition we are STILL down three 4-stars from the class.
You sure no one else has lost anyone? No one else had people fail to qualify? We either have supremely ****ty luck, we only take high risk players and the we’re paying for it, or you’re viewing this in a vacuum. Probably a combo of all three but the last is at the forefront because it’s fresh.

And not all would have to contribute. A higher percentage of the class needs to compared to other teams... at this moment... but that should even out when others suffer attrition.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Love an argument that starts off with "most reasonable people agree", you know some schit not based on facts is going to happen next.

You're argument is dependent on Mullen getting a substitute asset that covers for the loss of a 4 star guy(s) that have been lost. Fields/Grimes do not factor into this discussion, because both already had substitute assets in place. What are the substitute assets on the already depleted roster from the previous two regimes are there to take the place of what was lost?
Fair. I don’t have numbers but I’d be curious to see an argument against what I was saying? You implying it’s better to rate a recruit or recruit class before we see how they translate to college? You’d be in the minority of what I’ve seen but I could be persuaded.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
@SeabeeGator You gave the facepalm but didn't explain where I was wrong in my statement, would you care to give me reasons why I'm wrong? I'll wait!
I don’t agree with your post. We had folks here claiming 0-8 and no bowl. Still hear claims that this was the worst roster since 0-10. Some how finished with a 10 win season. It’s just my opinion but not bad at all and exceeded my personal expectations, at a minimum.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fair. I don’t have numbers but I’d be curious to see an argument against what I was saying? You implying it’s better to rate a recruit or recruit class before we see how they translate to college? You’d be in the minority of what I’ve seen but I could be persuaded.

the recruiting ranking has nothing to do with the product after it has been in college, it is a raw ranking of the talent amassed to going into a program. Would you say the same player that is getting coached by Mullens staff would look the same as the same player being coached by McElwain's staff? The rating is only about the perceived transition to the college game if all other factors are the same. Similar to the draft rankings of prospects going from the College game to the NFL game.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Okay...this is like the "stars don't matter" argument.

Would you rather have 15 4-star kids to work with or 15 3-star kids to work with? I hope you said 15 4-stars.

Okay, so now...would you rather have the three extra 4-star kids in the class or have no kids in your class? I hope you said you'd rather have the three 4-star kids vs. no kids.

If they get weeded out they get weeded out (usually due to not being able to crack the lineup) - a few years later. This is completely different. These kids NEVER even got a chance to get weeded out. They're gone. Never on the roster (at least during the season). This is devastating to the class. I have no clue why you're trying to sugar coat it. Maybe we land a couple of transfer? Who knows...

Speaking of "sugar coating", calm down with the pumping man.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
the recruiting ranking has nothing to do with the product after it has been in college, it is a raw ranking of the talent amassed to going into a program. Would you say the same player that is getting coached by Mullens staff would look the same as the same player being coached by McElwain's staff? The rating is only about the perceived transition to the college game if all other factors are the same. Similar to the draft rankings of prospects going from the College game to the NFL game.
There are so many variables that go into ranking in HS that aren’t a level playing field. Overall talent, size of school they attended/competition they faced, camps attended, offer sheet (specifically if Bama or UGA offered), trouble in HS, grade problems, system they played in vs the system they’re going to, experience, etc. You can only “coach up” so much. At some point, talent limits what you can do. Its the coaches job to match those talent to their needs. Stars are a great starting point but we know more about a player after college is done. I bet Taylor would rerank as a high 4 star today but weight concerns dropped him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Has he done a good job so far yes but has he exceeded expectations I don't think so.
Ridiculous. He wasn't following Spurrier or Meyer, he was following the biggest tard to ever walk a sideline, with a locker room that was low on talent and totally beaten down with Butterness. What he did last year turning around the MENTALITY of the team was nothing short of amazing.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Ridiculous. He wasn't following Spurrier or Meyer, he was following the biggest tard to ever walk a sideline, with a locker room that was low on talent and totally beaten down with Butterness. What he did last year turning around the MENTALITY of the team was nothing short of amazing.
I agree he changed the mentality of the team but I just don't feel like he went above and beyond. I think he did a good job but what I said is facts we easily could have lost 4 in a row or heck 5 if we didn't make a stand on the goal line vs LSU. If those calls don't go our way and we lost the 4 in a row would you be saying the same thing? I'm not trying to say I don't think he's done a good job I just think to say he's exceeded expectations. When he starts recruiting like the big boys and I know it's hard with facilities being bad so I want to give him slack but I don't know if he can hang even if he had the best in the country he just dont seem like a good recruiter. We will see though

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
if we didn't make a stand on the goal line vs LSU. If those calls don't go our way and we lost the 4 in a row would you be saying the same thing?
And if my Aunt had balls she’d be my Uncle. If you don’t think last year’s team was a great example of doing more with less than I don’t know what would convince you.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I agree he changed the mentality of the team but I just don't feel like he went above and beyond. I think he did a good job but what I said is facts we easily could have lost 4 in a row or heck 5 if we didn't make a stand on the goal line vs LSU. If those calls don't go our way and we lost the 4 in a row would you be saying the same thing? I'm not trying to say I don't think he's done a good job I just think to say he's exceeded expectations. When he starts recruiting like the big boys and I know it's hard with facilities being bad so I want to give him slack but I don't know if he can hang even if he had the best in the country he just dont seem like a good recruiter. We will see though
GTFO with the “if” scenarios. It’s a simpleton move and it’s never-ending.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
GTFO with the “if” scenarios. It’s a simpleton move and it’s never-ending.
Exactly, hence the face palm for his earlier post. What if our secondary wasn’t decimated by injuries against UGA? Maybe we win? What if Reese was available against Kentucky? Maybe we stuff the run better and win?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Black was the best player in the last recruiting class. I'm not feeling great about the vibe of the program right now.

Diwan is 170 lbs and hasn't played for a year and is in love with social media.....FIO

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly, hence the face palm for his earlier post. What if our secondary wasn’t decimated by injuries against UGA? Maybe we win? What if Reese was available against Kentucky? Maybe we stuff the run better and win?
Same logic that gave Chimp the NC in 2012. What if we didn't suck on offense?

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
So the only problem with your argument is that’s not what happened. Look, winners win and losers lose. He did a fair share of winning last year and it felt good. It also felt completely different than the fools gold we were served by the last two idiots. I’m far from sold on Mullen, but I have no doubt he can string a bunch of 9-3 seasons together. I just don’t know if he can get back to wining titles. Gonna need some players for that to happen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im not sold on Mullinz, especially his recruitng which thus far is just a halfstep better than Butters.

However, he ended the season with things clicking and it at least gives us hope that it night be a direction change and not a fluke.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.