Dan Mullen comments to the press

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes... 1000 miles is 1000 miles. Yes, 1000 miles is far from home for Grimes too. Spinning just makes you look either dumb or desperate.

I agree California is far from Florida. It's why would shouldnt be spending 1/4 of our time there.

And yet we still are bc we get our teeth kicked in every where else and Bammer and Clemson are too smart to go there.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You're probably right....but this was probably handled a few levels below the head coach - such as an "assistant director of player development" or some sh*t. And that person chose not to bring it to a higher level. It's similar to the military where you try to handle conflicts/problems at the lowest level possible. We don't know what Steele told the assistant director, he could have just said, "I don't like Jalon, he's an a-hole!" and not expound on it. So the assistant director said, "Okay, we'll move you at the end of the semester because there's a ton of paperwork, blah, blah, blah..." Sure, it's not excusable since it escalated, but the way Steele broached it was probably nonchalant "ok man, that's cool I can wait". (I'm just taking a stab here, it could have happened the complete opposite).

My problem is with TWO separate warning signs..."reports" and your ONLY FIVE star recruit on the whole team are making you aware of JJ. I mean this isn't like 911 with different agencies not sharing information. It's your football program. WTF

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I really think this is a problem. Steele was begging to get out of there and then you are getting reports that the same kid that your prized recruit is trying to get away from is also in some kind of trouble. Sorry, but this doesn't jive for me. Either you are just clueless to what's going inside your program or you chose to turn your head the other way. Neither one is good. JJ doesn't put on a uniform until you FIND OUT what is going on. The onus is on our staff to get complete information and not let him put on that Gator uni until you get all the facts.

DISAPPOINTED.

Dude .. this shyte gets old. You are a record stuck in a rut who needs a good hit. You have no freaking clue what was discussed and between whom yet you take it to embellished lengths of "begs to get out of there". You make things black and white, this and that with comments like "you are just clueless to what's going on inside your program or you chose to turn your head" as if that is the truth. It aint. You are the one that is clueless who takes a scrap of 'hearsay' (<--proud of me donk?) and turn it into a freaking absolute truth.
pitchforks-and-torches-e1546221601913.jpg

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It's as if you enjoy being on the wrong side of an argument. This has been addressed at length, including quotes from one of our players about distance being a major factor. Mullen himself has publicly stated that there was a desire to get back to the West Coast. If that isn't even remotely true, he gets killed when/if the Steele's ever decide to go on record about his transfer.

I've mentioned Tabor. What about Grimes? He moved and was granted a waiver to be closer to his sick mother.The distance from Fort Lauderdale to Columbus is 1134 miles. From Lauderdale to Gville is 314, or roughly 1/3 the distance. He's still a 5+ hour drive away. But everyone agrees, that it's a lot better than the alternative.

The others thing no one is pointing out is where exactly was Steele supposed to go? He's a 5*, so he's not going to a G5 school. So Usc and Ucla are the most obvious. No 5* defensive player in his right mind would line up to play for Chip Kelly. And few people actually feel like Helton has more than a year still in LA. Not to mention, he rejected them twice which means he clearly wasn't sold on the Trojans. That leaves basically Stanford and Cal, and who knows if he had the grades for either. Oregon is the hot team in the P12 and was the closest of all his finalist(outside of Usc). There were posters on Rivals saying he was Eugene bound the day it was announced he was in the portal. It made the most sense.

If he'd gone with the gamecocks or Sooners(his other finalists) you'd have a very valid point that it had nothing to do with location. As it is, we're getting into semantics with Goldkamps wording, and using the "omg, 1000 miles" argument despite it being debunked repeatedly. Bottom line, he felt way more at home on the West Coast and Oregon checked all the remaining boxes.

Question, if we would have taken care of business and listened...and got him away from the serial rapist before his name ended up on police reports, do you think he still transfers? Yes or no.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You are the one that is clueless who takes a scrap of 'hearsay' (<--proud of me donk?) and turn it into a freaking absolute truth.
Yes. Good job.

And yet.... no one has pitchforks out.

It's just a learning experience.

Frankly, I dont give a damn about a CB from Cali or a project Qb and expect that, more likely than not, neither would have worked out even if they stayed.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Question, if we would have taken care of business and listened...and got him away from the serial rapist before his name ended up on police reports, do you think he still transfers? Yes or no.
I don't care and I think he is a Cali DB who likely wouldn't have developed.

Just seems soft.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Yes. Good job.

And yet.... no one has pitchforks out.

It's just a learning experience.

Frankly, I dont give a damn about a CB from Cali or a project Qb and expect that, more likely than not, neither would have worked out even if they stayed.

I agree with all of that ... except that moron is a twatwaffle in a douche canoe filled with pitchforks.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I really think this is a problem. Steele was begging to get out of there and then you are getting reports that the same kid that your prized recruit is trying to get away from is also in some kind of trouble. Sorry, but this doesn't jive for me. Either you are just clueless to what's going inside your program or you chose to turn your head the other way. Neither one is good. JJ doesn't put on a uniform until you FIND OUT what is going on. The onus is on our staff to get complete information and not let him put on that Gator uni until you get all the facts.

DISAPPOINTED.

I don't agree. Once you have facts, sure. Before that, you have rumors, no charges being filed, and nothing factual to go on. If it's a real game and we needed him, I could see questioning how much Mullen knew and when. But Jones is a 4th string guy that got some late game reps in the Spring game.

Remember Carl Johnson being arrested for being on a bus the same time his ex was on it. And all of this based on her claim that he date-raped her...on two separate occasions? Someone who'd never been in trouble and ends up being suspended from campus despite no evidence that he'd ever done anything wrong to warrant the RO in the first place.

It sucks that this has become so commonplace and is totally unacceptable. But I'm not willing to ruin a kid's future until I get the whole story. And again, maybe a real game is different. But if it turns out to be completely fabricated, he's now missed a chance to play for the first time for no reason. That's not fair either.

I can see your point about being overly cautious, so it's not as if you're way off base. I just think some measure of discretion at that point is ok.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I do Rex. It is beginning to look as if he wanted to leave and was looking for an opportunity to do so. It is speculation of course but signs are pointing in that direction.

Could be. I guess I wish we tried a little harder to keep our top end talent. When UGA has 22 5 stars and we have none...it really makes you wonder.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't agree. Once you have facts, sure. Before that, you have rumors, no charges being filed, and nothing factual to go on. If it's a real game and we needed him, I could see questioning how much Mullen knew and when. But Jones is a 4th string guy that got some late game reps in the Spring game.

Remember Carl Johnson being arrested for being on a bus the same time his ex was on it. And all of this based on her claim that he date-raped her...on two separate occasions? Someone who'd never been in trouble and ends up being suspended from campus despite no evidence that he'd ever done anything wrong to warrant the RO in the first place.

It sucks that this has become so commonplace and is totally unacceptable. But I'm not willing to ruin a kid's future until I get the whole story. And again, maybe a real game is different. But if it turns out to be completely fabricated, he's now missed a chance to play for the first time for no reason. That's not fair either.

I can see your point about being overly cautious, so it's not as if you're way off base. I just think some measure of discretion at that point is ok.

How is holding him out of the spring game ruining his future? Just curious?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Just my speculation. Yes. From everything I've seen, I don't get the impression he was ever entrenched and it's unlikely that he goes a full 3-4 years without facing some type of adversity that causes him to want to get back to the WC.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016

WTF dude? You just keep on putting things into perspective before going off the deep-ass end. What fun is that?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
How is holding him out of the spring game ruining his future? Just curious?

It's punishing him for something for which there is no charge or evidence. Perhaps my wording is a bit too strong. But if we start suspending people just based on reports of an allegation, that is wrong.

Keep in mind, we're still viewing this through the eyes of him almost certainly being guilty of some type of wrong behavior. What if he wasn't? What if this was your kid who'd done nothing wrong, but has to not only face criticisms and internet speculation, but also gets suspended from his first Spring Game for absolutely no reason? As I said, I do get being overly cautious so I'm not implying you're crazy here. I just don't think we can or should be so knee-jerk about things.

And ftr, my first comment on the Edwards thing was that he had to go because of the nature of the crime. Once there is evidence that someone did something wrong like that, I'm not waiting for a jury to convict, he should be gone. I just don't see anything indicating Mullen had those types of details on the Jones case prior to the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.