Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Youre out of your mind. Dan Mullen Wide Blockers get about 600 yards a year receiving at most.

I swear some of you come on her and post but never actually watch football.

RBs are basically nomexistent or at best the #2 option in the backfield. He had one or two 1000 yard rushers in 15 years, but many 1000 yard rushing QBs years. What sort of back signs up for that?

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Running backs have never been good in a mullen O. Ever.

What team have you been watching?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, if you want to be a 4 star receiver who catches 500 yards a year, knows 3 WR routes, and goes in the 6 or 7th round, w the 1AA kids, UF and Billy G is for you.

It is why weve had such great WR recruiting since 2007.

No offense but youre a fuchsing idiot.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Im not sure 'development' is the point of contention here and worth the effort. Overall, WR and RBs have been developed, but the problem is that the offense Mullen runs will not attract the elite skill players coming out of high school because they know they won't get the ball as much. So, with that in mind, the thought of 'development' is even more skewed because its a heck of a lot easier to develop a 3 star than it is a 5 star. Skilled players dont want to learn how to block every play or be a decoy...they want the ball.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, if you want to be a 4 star receiver who catches 500 yards a year, knows 3 WR routes, and goes in the 6 or 7th round, w the 1AA kids, UF and Billy G is for you.

It is why weve had such great WR recruiting since 2007.

No offense but youre a fuchsing idiot.

huh?

Toney was a 1st rounder this year. Pitts was a 1st rounder.

Van Jefferson 2nd round.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
huh?

Van Jefferson 2nd round.
what do you think Jefferson
and Swain
and Grimes
and Cleveland
and all the others would have had if they'd actually had production in college?

Van Jefferson had an incrible camp and rocketed from 6th or 7th round the second round. I sure was Dan Mullett who did that. He had first round talent and 7th round production, so it cost him tens of millions.

No one in the NFL GAF if you're good at blocking.

Last edited:

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
huh?

Van Jefferson 2nd round.

Not trying to be a downer J, but Kyle Pitts is an absolute freak of nature and is a TE, so I would contribute his development to Coach Brewster rather than Billy. He just needed somebody to get the ball within 5 yards and he is catching it 99% of the time. KT doesn't have the physical tools that Pitts does but he is lightning in a bottle, you just have to GET HIM THE BALL. Which we only did for one season. As for Van, his dad has been a WR coach in the NFL for a long time, all Billy had to do was not f**k it up.

Where he has let us down as a Coach in my opinion is the lack of development in Tyrie Cleveland, Trevon Grimes, and Jacob Copeland. These guys had all the attributes and tools to be a standout. The most we got out of them were flashes in the pan. Copeland still has a chance to change this narrative but how many of us honestly believe we are going to see him become a gamebreaker? Not I. After this year we might be adding Xzavier Henderson to this group.

In Billy's defense, all of the players mentioned were stuck with Franks for the majority of their career.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
what do you think Jefferson
and Swain
and Grimes
and Cleveland
and all the others would have had if they'd actually had production in college?

Van Jefferson had an incrible camp and rocketed from 6th or 7th round the second round. I sure was Dan Mullett who did that. He had first round talent and 7th round production, so it cost him tens of millions.

No one in the NFL GAF if you're good at blocking.
You beat me to it. Swain was a solid player for us. I wouldn't put him in the same camp as Cleveland and Grimes when it comes to potential but he is maybe the one guy you can point to and say Billy G did a good job of developing. Other than that, it's be a long wet fart.

To all of those guys credit, they still made it to the league despite him. Good post Swamp :fistbump:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You beat me to it. Swain was a solid player for us. I wouldn't put him in the same camp as Cleveland and Grimes when it comes to potential but he is maybe the one guy you can point to and say Billy G did a good job of developing. Other than that, it's be a long wet fart.

To all of those guys credit, they still made it to the league despite him. Good post Swamp :fistbump:
I'm not sure that Swain wasn't the best wide blocker out of the bunch.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
In Billy's defense, all of the players mentioned were stuck with Franks for the majority of their career.
Most of those guys played under Mac as well. We can’t pretend that none of them got better under the new staff. Funny how the human mind works. We’ll rationalize anything to prove our point. So much so that you’ll say that the players developed themselves before you give the staff credit. Wow! Does Saban develop his players? Or does he just throw his freak athletes out there and win games? Having talent isn’t the only prerequisite to being successful.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
Most of those guys played under Mac as well. We can’t pretend that none of them got better under the new staff. Funny how the human mind works. We’ll rationalize anything to prove our point. So much so that you’ll say that the players developed themselves before you give the staff credit. Wow! Does Saban develop his players? Or does he just throw his freak athletes out there and win games? Having talent isn’t the only prerequisite to being successful.

Swain, Cleveland, and KT played under shark humper. While they did improve, pretty much the only place to go was up for them. I think the guys played harder and became better blockers, which is needed all jokes aside. Do you honestly think Swain, Cleveland, or Grimes reached their full potential under him? I don't put it all on BG either, some of that blame goes to Dan as well for not putting them in the best situation to succeed or giving them limited opportunities. KT should have been featured in the offense every year like he was this past season. For some players, you just get the ball in their hands and let them do their magic. See Percy against Oklahoma in the championship game, and many other games.

Glad you brought up little nikki, not sure if you know this or not but he has stockpiled talent since he got to Bama. From 07-2019 Bama signed 236 4/5 Star talent. Second place isn't even close. He has been able to stockpile talent due to the fact that he gets the MOST out of his players, not 50%.They were so loaded, they lost Jeudy and Ruggs to the draft and Waddle to injury and still didn't miss a beat. Smith is great, but I doubt we would have seen him get the opportunity to shine as bright as he did if Waddle doesn't get hurt.

One last thing, are you telling me that every assistant under Saban is the best in College football? That whatever average joe he brings in off the street to coach WR is going to get more out of his players than BG does in his 5th, 6th, or 7th year with guys that he recruited that's been with under his coaching for at least 2 years? The dudes staff has been a revolving door and yet year in and year out, you see those players improve or reach their potential. I guess little nikki just takes a different position group each day in practice:rolleyes:

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019

I was excited for him when he came out of high school. I just had higher expectations for Cleveland and Grimes. But you make an excellent point about Swain being given the opportunity to play in the slot. The knock on Grimes this year was that he couldn't separate. Maybe if he was moved to the slot he could have had more of an impact.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. We can’t pretend that none of them got better under the new staff. .
who got better?

Tony I guess? but he's really getting better he just finally got on the field after 3 years of Dumbfuchs Mullinz giving him 3 plays a game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
don't be ridiculous he also ran the crossing route. and four verticals.

Every Mullinz /Gonzalez receiver to include Harvin got the scouting report of "doesnt know routes"

Except Van, and he knew them when he got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.