Best Posts in Thread: Captain's Cogitations - Tennessee-Martin

1. Captain Sasquatch

Captain Sasquatch Mr. SQ, the Sashole
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,054
    Ratings:
    +17,687 / -505
    Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar, all against Franks, just find a new sport to watch you dumbasses!

I'm a little shocked this morning at the hate for Franks. I don't know what else he could have done last night to impress some of you who already have your minds made up about him. Play defense? Do a backflip? Bang a cheerleader on the field? He had a great game. He wasn't perfect, he certainly missed Pitts a couple times when he was open down the field, but he was extremely accurate and managed the game exactly the way he was supposed to.

Mullen said it after the game, and I definitely noticed it during the game, but UTM is constantly dropping 8 men and rushing 3 on defense. If some of you were concerned with him taking a long time to get the ball out, it's because we had 4-5 guys running routes being defended by 8 guys in zone. It's going to take a while when the defense plays like that. He'll have all day to throw, but the receivers have to get open. If you have an issue with the WR screens being called, then clearly you've never paid attention to a single Dan Mullen football game in your entire life. His offense has a lot of WR screens, even going back to Tebow.

Franks dropped dimes on every downfield throw except one of his two incomplete passes, the jump ball in the endzone (which was his one truly bad play, Swain was WIDE open about three seconds earlier on that play and he missed him). But if you guys are going to take the small handful of times he didn't make the right read out of an entire game's worth of passing plays and judge him on those, once again, find a new sport to watch. Or maybe pick up a copy of "College Football for Idiots" at Barnes and Noble today. Every single QB is going to make the wrong read a few times a game, just get over it. We left after Trask's TD pass because we had to drive home, so I'm not sure how either of them looked throughout the 4th quarter. But I can guarantee all of you the offense is in far better hands with Franks than it is with either of those guys..

The offensive line continues to worry me, they just aren't opening holes up for the run game right now. For those of you pissed about the short passes last night, we're calling them because those short passes are basically our running game for the time being. We can't open up enough space to make headway through the middle of the defense, might as well get the ball out into space quickly and take your chances out there instead of counting on our line to block. That's the one truly troubling thing about our offense moving forward. We've got to find a way to create more space up the middle or it's going to be very difficult to get the running game going no matter who is carrying the ball. And the tight ends certainly aren't pulling their weight blocking, either.

I was happy to see the defense pitch the shutout last night. Even though the opponent was clearly inferior, the tackling was much improved, and there really wasn't much to critique with the way they played. Felt good to have the first shutout in three years. Apparently UK's QB is hurt pretty bad, so our defense has to be letting out a sigh of relief they don't have to face him again this year. Feel terrible for the kid, though, hopefully it's not too serious of an injury.

The one thing that frustrated me the most was UTM taking their sweet ass time the whole game. It almost seemed like their strategy was just to shorten the game so they didn't get blown out by 70. Mullen also mentioned this in the postgame about how few plays we ran on offense in the first half because their offense was in stall mode. Anyway, having said all that, it was a decent enough game, but the Two Bits tribute was awesome and it's always great to walk out of a stadium with a W. Big game next week, it's time for SEC football!

:chomp:

• Like Like x 42
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
    • soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $10,595
      Ratings:
      +15,493 / -98
      I don’t know what’s gotten into Ox. But I’m afraid there may be shambles involved.

• Captain Sasquatch

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $8,054
        Ratings:
        +17,687 / -505
        Got a dislike from Ox, that means this is my best one yet! :yes:

• Like Like x 22
        • Dislike Dislike x 2
        • List
        • BNAG8R

BNAG8R ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ mind, ⭐️ ⭐️ body

Oxbucks:
          $2,567
          Ratings:
          +4,973 / -55
          [​IMG]

• Jay26

Jay26 Senior Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $4,428
            Ratings:
            +10,166 / -292
            Good stuff, Sas. I’ve been harsh on Franks as most have, but he’s really developed a lot under Mullen. Hate that people are going to bag on him no matter what. Guess some are still butthurt about the shushing episode.

Oh, and check this out:

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $7,343
              Ratings:
              +15,696 / -141
              Your observation about them dropping 8 into coverage doesn't make me feel any better about our run game.

• Jay26

Jay26 Senior Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $4,428
                Ratings:
                +10,166 / -292
                Old white dudes hate his persona. It is what it is :lol:

• Captain Sasquatch

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $8,054
                  Ratings:
                  +17,687 / -505
                  Not a threat at all? You serious, Clark? :lol:

He's not Tim Tebow running the ball, but he's not Dan Marino, either. He has running ability, and has showed it numerous times throughout his career. Just admit you hate the kid for telling you to STFU, that's all this is about.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
                    $6,417
                    Ratings:
                    +14,527 / -165
                    He was much better in this game. My issue again has always been his antics.

However – he is not a fit for this offense. He’s just the best that we have right now. If you don’t have a QB that can run, this offense can’t go. This is not Franks fault. He’s a pro style trying to fit his game and he did a really good job last night.

He was really accurate this game.

You’re right on the running game. This O-line is getting no push. Pass blocking has been decent though. I’d like to see a slight change in playcalling to run some sweeps and counters. Particularly if they’re running 3 man fronts. The counter allows a hole to form and the RB to see it. A little slower developing but that’s okay if they’re running an undermanned front.

Also the shovel pass may help in drawing in the LBs to free up the middle of the field.

• -THE DUDE-

-THE DUDE- This is the year!!!

Oxbucks:
                      $2,705
                      Ratings:
                      +5,218 / -56
                      I’m still pissed about him sliding 1 yard short of a 1st against TN leaving a 4th and 1 late in the game [emoji35]

• SeabeeGator

SeabeeGator Well-Known Member
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $4,836
                        Ratings:
                        +4,884 / -234
                        He’s been clear - this is a dictatorship. Censorship is just part of the deal.

• lizardbreath

lizardbreath Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                          $2,196
                          Ratings:
                          +2,673 / -81
                          Great take Sas. Franks looked about as good as I think he's capable of looking - at this point in time anyway. I liked his stat line quite a lot, I like that he didn't turn the ball over or act like a complete tool on the sideline even more. That's an admittedly low bar for some, but seemingly a noteworthy accomplishment for FF. And just as important, he looked like he was actually managing the offense reasonably well. I think it also bears repeating that 45-0 doesn't suck that much, and 12-3 after 15 games isn't just cause (in and of itself) for dire consternation. There'll be plenty of time for that if the run blocking / run game don't improve considerably by next week.

For the record, I didn't like the DM hire either. One reason being the limitations of the RPO, another being the history of so-so recruiting that continues to the present day. I thought it was a cop-out and an admission of the fact that UF FB ain't what it used to be, and that "OK" is just going to have to do for a while. I think that DM may still be just a stop-gap - hopefully on the way to better things. But I think now that there is a chance that he may actually be something more than that. But real concerns persist and real answers still need to be found - some need to be found pretty damn soon.

But to say that progress isn't being made, or that all hope is already lost, is wrong and counter-productive in the long-term effort to bring the glory back to G'ville. Everything starts from where we are now, alternate facts or more pleasing realities are luxuries we do not enjoy. Whatever comes to pass, going ape shytt, right out the gate, is not a good start to righting the ship. Worst case scenario is that DM leaves behind a better roster and a better brand image, with higher expectations of conduct and on-field success, than the shytt he was handed by the previous gaggle of incompetents. I guess I'm pretty much "OK" with that - at least for now. Go Gators!

• ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix In shambles
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $5,773
                            Ratings:
                            +13,286 / -467
                            Here's a free clue.
                            If Franks takes the snap and immediately throws to the sideline that's a a running play, a long hand off. If he takes the snap and looks down field first (as he did many times last night) that's a pass play. If nothing is there, he's throwing the easy sideline pass. So yeah, you can say that a lot of Mullen's offense is sideline passes. The "taking what the defense gives you" philosophy leads to that. Throw in an Oline that can't run block and a defense dropping 8 and your gonna get a lot of short passes.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $7,343
                              Ratings:
                              +15,696 / -141
                              The rule clearly states that any poster complaining about a dislike automatically gets another dislike.

• Captain Sasquatch

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $8,054
                                Ratings:
                                +17,687 / -505
                                I'd do it, but he'd edit it back and lock the thread. You know, the adult way.

• Slevin

Slevin Law’s Alter-Ego
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $9,545
                                  Ratings:
                                  +13,192 / -292
                                  This thread title definitely needs the “ox in shambles” part to be added

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
                                    $3,687
                                    Ratings:
                                    +4,361 / -70
                                    One of the best posts I’ve read today. I didn’t like the hire either. But I have warmed up considerably. I don’t see him as a homerun hire that comes in and wins championships year 1-2. But I think he is building a sustainable program that will soon land the top QB, RB types etc that will win titles.

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
                                      $3,687
                                      Ratings:
                                      +4,361 / -70
                                      Good point. For as little as we use Toney I think Copeland can make that up. I love Toney but I actually think Cope runs more like Percy. He cuts and goes hard. Toney is more of a jitterbug out there.

I think Elam is going to emerge quickly. He’s a ball hawk.

• Captain Sasquatch

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                        $8,054
                                        Ratings:
                                        +17,687 / -505
                                        The great thing for me at the games is we have endzone seats, which give a perfect view of how the plays develop on offense that you definitely don't get on TV. It's frustrating to watch games on TV for that very reason. Show me the receivers!

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                          $7,343
                                          Ratings:
                                          +15,696 / -141
                                          I lol'd at Slides McSliderson.

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                                              • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                              • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.