Captain's Cogitations - Tennessee-Martin

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The great thing for me at the games is we have endzone seats, which give a perfect view of how the plays develop on offense that you definitely don't get on TV. It's frustrating to watch games on TV for that very reason. Show me the receivers!
Yeah, My season tickets were end zone so you could see holes open in the line, plus you do get a better feel of who's open. It's just a little bit of a bytch when they're in the other end zone. I actually prefer end zone seats.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Short passing game is what can open up the running game. Gonna have to be a pass to set up the run offense until this line gels.
Those passes racked up 300+ yards. No you don’t get to back out the big plays. They happen because of the little plays. We had trouble running and they dropped 8. It was strategic and effective. Just not as exciting.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Here's a free clue.
If Franks takes the snap and immediately throws to the sideline that's a a running play, a long hand off. If he takes the snap and looks down field first (as he did many times last night) that's a pass play. If nothing is there, he's throwing the easy sideline pass. So yeah, you can say that a lot of Mullen's offense is sideline passes. The "taking what the defense gives you" philosophy leads to that. Throw in an Oline that can't run block and a defense dropping 8 and your gonna get a lot of short passes.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
100% False. Just pull up UT '07, watch, and take a lap.
You mean the 2 running plays he had did you ever see him throw!? He could not hit anything open with the ball his accuracy was horrible. But he went to Jc and next thing we know he's a totally different player.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Your observation about them dropping 8 into coverage doesn't make me feel any better about our run game.
yeah, they better get better quickly or it will be a trying time in Lexington. By the way, it was obvious to me that Franks is the best of the litter. Trask got away with a missed pick although he got rid of the ball quicker than Franks, which is Frank's worst defect. He waits just a tad too long.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a free clue.
If Franks takes the snap and immediately throws to the sideline that's a a running play, a long hand off. If he takes the snap and looks down field first (as he did many times last night) that's a pass play. If nothing is there, he's throwing the easy sideline pass. So yeah, you can say that a lot of Mullen's offense is sideline passes. The "taking what the defense gives you" philosophy leads to that. Throw in an Oline that can't run block and a defense dropping 8 and your gonna get a lot of short passes.
well if the defense is dropping 8, any kind of run block should net at least 4 years a carry.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a free clue.
Franks is a weird dichotomy on intermediate downfield throws. A passer who consistently bails too quick or holds onto the ball too long.

The windup delivery only adds to the dilemma by narrowing the margin of error. A guy with a whipsaw like Aaron Rodgers can wait until the last moment and deliver it on a rope. Franks isn't that passer, not even close. It'll limit his future.

That points to two things. The downfield plays aren't there, or the passer has neither the recognition or skills to make them.

It's likely some of both, but I think the deficiency lies more on the quarterback side.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
yeah, they better get better quickly or it will be a trying time in Lexington. By the way, it was obvious to me that Franks is the best of the litter. Trask got away with a missed pick although he got rid of the ball quicker than Franks, which is Frank's worst defect. He waits just a tad too long.

I think it’s mainly because he doesn’t trust his receivers for himself. One of the things that Mullen has been trying like hell to get him to do is to play loose. Do not be afraid to make mistakes. I think he’s petrified of turning the ball over. If you notice every down field pass he connects on his way receiver is wide open. He never thread the needle.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Good to see the giraffe have a great passing game against an inferior opponent. Hopefully it translates to better play starting next week.

I'm more interested in how our freshman DB's are looking considering Henderson went down yet again. Losing Toney sucks, but Mullen only lets him touch the ball two or three games a game anyway so it's not 1/100th like losing a Percy for example. Toney's production, unfortunately, can easily be replaced.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Great take Sas. Franks looked about as good as I think he's capable of looking - at this point in time anyway. I liked his stat line quite a lot, I like that he didn't turn the ball over or act like a complete tool on the sideline even more. That's an admittedly low bar for some, but seemingly a noteworthy accomplishment for FF. And just as important, he looked like he was actually managing the offense reasonably well. I think it also bears repeating that 45-0 doesn't suck that much, and 12-3 after 15 games isn't just cause (in and of itself) for dire consternation. There'll be plenty of time for that if the run blocking / run game don't improve considerably by next week.

For the record, I didn't like the DM hire either. One reason being the limitations of the RPO, another being the history of so-so recruiting that continues to the present day. I thought it was a cop-out and an admission of the fact that UF FB ain't what it used to be, and that "OK" is just going to have to do for a while. I think that DM may still be just a stop-gap - hopefully on the way to better things. But I think now that there is a chance that he may actually be something more than that. But real concerns persist and real answers still need to be found - some need to be found pretty damn soon.

But to say that progress isn't being made, or that all hope is already lost, is wrong and counter-productive in the long-term effort to bring the glory back to G'ville. Everything starts from where we are now, alternate facts or more pleasing realities are luxuries we do not enjoy. Whatever comes to pass, going ape shytt, right out the gate, is not a good start to righting the ship. Worst case scenario is that DM leaves behind a better roster and a better brand image, with higher expectations of conduct and on-field success, than the shytt he was handed by the previous gaggle of incompetents. I guess I'm pretty much "OK" with that - at least for now. Go Gators!

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Good to see the giraffe have a great passing game against an inferior opponent. Hopefully it translates to better play starting next week.

I'm more interested in how our freshman DB's are looking considering Henderson went down yet again. Losing Toney sucks, but Mullen only lets him touch the ball two or three games a game anyway so it's not 1/100th like losing a Percy for example. Toney's production, unfortunately, can easily be replaced.

Good point. For as little as we use Toney I think Copeland can make that up. I love Toney but I actually think Cope runs more like Percy. He cuts and goes hard. Toney is more of a jitterbug out there.

I think Elam is going to emerge quickly. He’s a ball hawk.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Great take Sas. Franks looked about as good as I think he's capable of looking - at this point in time anyway. I liked his stat line quite a lot, I like that he didn't turn the ball over or act like a complete tool on the sideline even more. That's an admittedly low bar for some, but seemingly a noteworthy accomplishment for FF. And just as important, he looked like he was actually managing the offense reasonably well. I think it also bears repeating that 45-0 doesn't suck that much, and 12-3 after 15 games isn't just cause (in and of itself) for dire consternation. There'll be plenty of time for that if the run blocking / run game don't improve considerably by next week.

For the record, I didn't like the DM hire either. One reason being the limitations of the RPO, another being the history of so-so recruiting that continues to the present day. I thought it was a cop-out and an admission of the fact that UF FB ain't what it used to be, and that "OK" is just going to have to do for a while. I think that DM may still be just a stop-gap - hopefully on the way to better things. But I think now that there is a chance that he may actually be something more than that. But real concerns persist and real answers still need to be found - some need to be found pretty damn soon.

But to say that progress isn't being made, or that all hope is already lost, is wrong and counter-productive in the long-term effort to bring the glory back to G'ville. Everything starts from where we are now, alternate facts or more pleasing realities are luxuries we do not enjoy. Whatever comes to pass, going ape shytt, right out the gate, is not a good start to righting the ship. Worst case scenario is that DM leaves behind a better roster and a better brand image, with higher expectations of conduct and on-field success, than the shytt he was handed by the previous gaggle of incompetents. I guess I'm pretty much "OK" with that - at least for now. Go Gators!

One of the best posts I’ve read today. I didn’t like the hire either. But I have warmed up considerably. I don’t see him as a homerun hire that comes in and wins championships year 1-2. But I think he is building a sustainable program that will soon land the top QB, RB types etc that will win titles.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
One of the best posts I’ve read today. I didn’t like the hire either. But I have warmed up considerably. I don’t see him as a homerun hire that comes in and wins championships year 1-2. But I think he is building a sustainable program that will soon land the top QB, RB types etc that will win titles.
Thanks for the comment. I concur on your analysis,

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously not, given his 92+% completions, no interceptions, a couple of touchdowns, and doing exactly what the coaches asked of him all game long.
Against the fourth-best team in Tennessee, his play was exemplary.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Obviously not, given his 92+% completions, no interceptions, a couple of touchdowns, and doing exactly what the coaches asked of him all game long.
If 56 is old, I meet the criteria and I loved me some FF last night. Sure, I could see areas in need of improvement, but I thought he had a good, good game even with the caveat of the opponent. I really don’t care about the antics, other than it seems like a distraction and makes me worry where his head is at, but I suspect he’s just a reflection of a lot of kids in his generation. Until I see it bothering his teammates, I can live with it. Ultimately he will be judged by his performance in the big games. I see him play like this over the next eight weeks or so and I’ll be his biggest fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.