Schiano to coach Rutgers after all

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
And Henley Field (right next door) was as sweet and smooth a baseball field as I ever played on. Many high School and Senior League games there. Loved that place.

Yes, great park with a rich history. Watched a lot of baseball back in the day there, LHS, Florida Southern, Tigers (Detroit and Lakeland). I believe the Tigers and Lakeland have the longest running uninterrupted Spring Training relationship of any MLB club and town. Since the late 30's. All the others have moved from city to city.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
That is awesome!! If I didn't have it nailed already, I've locked down the "Biggest Knucklehead in Thread" award. Sheesh, I can barely express a thought in this thread without getting it dead wrong!

As a Dreadnaught, you'd think I'd remember that there were 2 Strawbridges, but I still don't really. I think Wayne and Tim are probably 8-9 years older than I, but still.

I'm definitely not posting in this thread again. Just hoping I won't need to correct anything in this one.

The Strawbridges had two other brothers, younger than Rick and older than Tim. Both have passed away, the younger one in an accident just a couple of weeks ago.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I think Rutgers could benefit from a strong defensive coach. Maybe an aggressive one that’ll spring some upsets every once in a while. There’s a guy who’s defense just two weeks ago beat a top 10 team at home. Might be a good option.
Choker wouldn't last a minute in Jersey :lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Schiano is making demands that Rutgers may not want to approve (facilities upgrades): article says Butch Jones appears to be the backup plan if Schiano isn't hired. Poor Moorhead, he's gonna get fired from MSU and not have a landing spot:

Greg Schiano reportedly making ‘significant demands’ in Rutgers talks

With buzz continuing to grow about a Greg Schiano-Rutgers reunion, the former RU head coach met with university officials in Columbus, Ohio, for several hours Tuesday regarding the opening, nj.com‘s Steve Politi has reported. Instead of coming out of that meeting with its next head football coach, though, the university headed back to Piscataway dealing with what Politi described as “significant demands.”

What those “significant demands” are is unknown at the moment, according to Politi. From the report:

Schiano is believed to want significant improvements to the football infrastructure in Piscataway, including an indoor practice facility that is a common recruiting tool on every rival Big Ten campus and would likely move the team out the existing headquarters at the Hale Center.

It is likely that any project of that magnitude would need high-level university approval before it can be included in a contract with the coach. The next football coach’s contract will need Board of Governors approval, and the university would presumably need to call for a “special meeting” to approve any deal.

Rutgers recently upgraded its football locker rooms, weight room and outdoor practice fields with contributions from donors, but the price tag on field houses has soared into nine-digit territory at other conference schools.

In what direction the university will head is unclear. Butch Jones, who interviewed for the job late last week, is believed to be the backup plan if the Schiano talks implode, the website reported.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Schiano is making demands that Rutgers may not want to approve (facilities upgrades): article says Butch Jones appears to be the backup plan if Schiano isn't hired. Poor Moorhead, he's gonna get fired from MSU and not have a landing spot:

With buzz continuing to grow about a Greg Schiano-Rutgers reunion, the former RU head coach met with university officials in Columbus, Ohio, for several hours Tuesday regarding the opening, nj.com‘s Steve Politi has reported. Instead of coming out of that meeting with its next head football coach, though, the university headed back to Piscataway dealing with what Politi described as “significant demands.”

What those “significant demands” are is unknown at the moment, according to Politi. From the report:

Schiano is believed to want significant improvements to the football infrastructure in Piscataway, including an indoor practice facility that is a common recruiting tool on every rival Big Ten campus and would likely move the team out the existing headquarters at the Hale Center.

It is likely that any project of that magnitude would need high-level university approval before it can be included in a contract with the coach. The next football coach’s contract will need Board of Governors approval, and the university would presumably need to call for a “special meeting” to approve any deal.

Rutgers recently upgraded its football locker rooms, weight room and outdoor practice fields with contributions from donors, but the price tag on field houses has soared into nine-digit territory at other conference schools.

In what direction the university will head is unclear. Butch Jones, who interviewed for the job late last week, is believed to be the backup plan if the Schiano talks implode, the website reported.

I guess no matter how sh!tty of a football coach you are (Butch Jones), you'll always find employment.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Schiano and Rutgers can't come to a deal.

Here’s Greg Schiano’s complete list of demands: $4M a year, a $25M guarantee and a private jet

Schiano apparently asked for the moon:

Among the proposed deal points:

• An annual salary of $4 million for each of the next eight seasons through February 2028, with $400,000 retention bonuses every two years after the second year of his contract.
  • A $25.2 million guarantee if the university were to terminate his contract without cause before 2021. That guarantee would go down in later years in increments, to $4.2 million by 2026.
  • Unlimited use of a private jet for all recruiting activities and for all non-recruiting program and university-related travel.
  • Bonuses if season ticket benchmarks were reached.
There were also provisions for a car, private golf club membership, spousal and family travel to games and a $100,000 relocation and temporary lodging bonus.

In addition, the proposed deal included a pledge to expand and improve the university’s football facilities by 2023, or Schiano could leave without penalty, and called for an initial salary pool set at $7.7 million for the 10 full-time assistant coaches and other support staff members, which would increase annually by no less than 3%.

Rutgers, according to the site, originally offered Schiano a 6-year contract worth an average of $4 million a year.

Chris Ash signed a 5-year contract worth a total of $11 million upon taking the job ahead of the 2016 season and earned $2.3 million in 2019, second worst in the Big Ten.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Rutgers could benefit from a strong defensive coach. Maybe an aggressive one that’ll spring some upsets every once in a while. There’s a guy who’s defense just two weeks ago beat a top 10 team at home. Might be a good option.
Their last coach was the DC for Urbs

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Schiano and Rutgers can't come to a deal.

Here’s Greg Schiano’s complete list of demands: $4M a year, a $25M guarantee and a private jet

Schiano apparently asked for the moon:

Among the proposed deal points:

• An annual salary of $4 million for each of the next eight seasons through February 2028, with $400,000 retention bonuses every two years after the second year of his contract.
  • A $25.2 million guarantee if the university were to terminate his contract without cause before 2021. That guarantee would go down in later years in increments, to $4.2 million by 2026.
  • Unlimited use of a private jet for all recruiting activities and for all non-recruiting program and university-related travel.
  • Bonuses if season ticket benchmarks were reached.
There were also provisions for a car, private golf club membership, spousal and family travel to games and a $100,000 relocation and temporary lodging bonus.

In addition, the proposed deal included a pledge to expand and improve the university’s football facilities by 2023, or Schiano could leave without penalty, and called for an initial salary pool set at $7.7 million for the 10 full-time assistant coaches and other support staff members, which would increase annually by no less than 3%.

Rutgers, according to the site, originally offered Schiano a 6-year contract worth an average of $4 million a year.

Chris Ash signed a 5-year contract worth a total of $11 million upon taking the job ahead of the 2016 season and earned $2.3 million in 2019, second worst in the Big Ten.
It's freaking Rutgers. The guy was either out of his mind, or really didn't want the job unless he got the moon.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's freaking Rutgers. The guy was either out of his mind, or really didn't want the job unless he got the moon.

He's lost his mind, because he did want the job. He apparently stepped away from the Pats job this off-season in anticipation of this job coming open. Then he asks for top tier program money. What a nut. I can see asking for facilities and a good assistant coaches pool ($7.7 million for 10 assistants?). Moorhead or Butch might back their way into this job after all!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He's lost his mind, because he did want the job. He apparently stepped away from the Pats job this off-season in anticipation of this job coming open. Then he asks for top tier program money. What a nut. I can see asking for facilities and a good assistant coaches pool ($7.7 million for 10 assistants?). Moorhead or Butch might back their way into this job after all!
I mean, again....it's Rutgers. Coming in demanding an indoor practice facility and a private jet? WTF? Rutgers has zero expectations in football, this is ridiculous.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I mean, again....it's Rutgers. Coming in demanding an indoor practice facility and a private jet? WTF? Rutgers has zero expectations in football, this is ridiculous.

Totally agree. They're getting the B10 money now, so they have some money. But for Schiano to expect top tier money is absurd.

destingator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Hell, If I was Moorhead I would go for it. Those retards in Starkville apparently think that they're supposed to compete in football consistently even with Mullen gone.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Thursday night's Egg Bowl could be a battle of which of the coaches is fired. If Ole Miss wins, Moorhead might be fired. If State wins then Luke might be out. There has been quite a drop in the competitiveness of these two programs since the Mullen versus Freeze era.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
($7.7 million for 10 assistants?).
Again, this isnt much. 700k average and he will have to pay for Coordinators.

It is fcckimg NJ. You know the cost of living there. And you have to live innfckkimg Jersey which means you have to pay them twice as much even after accounting for cost of living.

Rutgers makes more off the B10 contract that an SEC team. They can afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.