Best Posts in Thread: Shocking: 34 year old Ed Aschoff passes away

1. BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $16,575
    Ratings:
    +22,607 / -322
    Wow, that's a shocker. He was the last decent 'writer' at the Sun. It was good to see him get the ESPN gig.

• williston_gator

williston_gator Twitter junkie
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $4,371
      Ratings:
      +7,257 / -88
      @AschoffESPN: (1/9) Hi all, Katy again- this will be my last post on Edward’s social media. I wanted to provide an update about Edward’s passing that may help people in processing it and making a little more sense of what happened.

@AschoffESPN: (2/9) After his passing, the hospital received the final results from his lung biopsy. Unbeknownst to us, Edward had stage 4, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in his lungs. This is an aggressive type of cancer that is usually undetectable until it is very advanced.

@AschoffESPN: (3/9) Both pneumonia and non-Hodgkins lymphoma can trigger HLH in the body and that is seemingly what happened with Edward. All of this combined is what led to his very rapid decline those last few days, and ultimately his passing.

@AschoffESPN: (4/9) Edward's family and I are so grateful for the excellent care that was provided by all his caregivers, including the team of doctors and nurses.

@AschoffESPN: (5/9) I hope this information helps people in dealing with this tragedy. It has helped me knowing that his passing was inevitable, and I’m at least grateful he didn’t have to go through the painful treatment and drawn out process of battling the disease

@AschoffESPN: (6/9) He wouldn’t have wanted to go out like that. His ass was too vain. I also wanted to provide this update because he would have wanted everyone to know that something way bigger than pneumonia took him down.

@AschoffESPN: (7/9) In lieu of flowers, we’re asking that donations be made to a scholarship fund being set up by the University of Florida’s School of Journalism and Communications (see end for details). He loved mentoring and sharing his advice for up-and-coming journalists and reporters.

@AschoffESPN: (8/9) Again, thank you to everyone for your continuous support. To all of you who have reached out, provided and offered support, donated, attended services, shared their favorite Edward stories, how he touched your life, thank you, from bottom of my ❤️ -Katy Berteau Edward Aschoff on Twitter

@AschoffESPN: (9/9) Donations to the Edward Aschoff Memorial Fund at UF’s College of Journalism and Communications can be made out to the “U.F. Foundation”, sent to P.O. Box 14425, Gainesville, FL 32604, Attn: Gift Processing. Please note "Edward Aschoff Memorial Fund" in the memo area. Edward Aschoff on Twitter

• Gator98MD

Gator98MD Senior Member
        Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
        $897
        Ratings:
        +1,801 / -39
        Explains somewhat what happened

• FireFoley

FireFoley Senior Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $3,703
          Ratings:
          +5,204 / -319
          Ed's story is truly sad and tragic. But it is nice to hear that your family story has had a positive ending to date and we all pray for the continued good health of your wife.

• jeeping8r

jeeping8r Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere

Oxbucks:
            $433
            Ratings:
            +553 / -20
            Swampy did hit one thing though, Check the damn patient. Few months ago wifey had a gall bladder issue, ER doc looked at a few tests and was going to send her home. We declined and doc got pissed. Anyway once admitted they ran another scan and indeed her GB was bad. Doc who did surgery said she was 12-24 hours from having a severe infection and it's good we stood our ground and stayed.
            Within hours of the surgery she was 1000% better.

• Gatorraid81

Gatorraid81 Well-Known Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $2,799
              Ratings:
              +3,680 / -265
              5 years ago my wife was diagnosed with Stage 4 non Hodgkins Lymphoma ( follicular, I think was type the doctor’s said or something like that). She had it in her lower back and in her hip (sacrum I believe). The doctors were confident the whole time that chemotherapy would treat her fine. They said it was a very treatable form of non hodgkins. She had to have a port put in and got aggressive chemotherapy treatment every 3 weeks. 6 hours treatments, but it got rid of the cancer. 6 months later she was cancer free and now has been going on 5 years. Come to think of it, I know a couple of people that have had a type of lymphoma and responded well to treatment. Not sure what could’ve been done in Ed’s case, if anything. Just sad to hear.

#124 Gatorraid81, Jan 16, 2020
              Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
              • Gator98MD

Gator98MD Senior Member
                Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                $897
                Ratings:
                +1,801 / -39
                Man what a pissing contest

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
                  $8,593
                  Ratings:
                  +16,876 / -295
                  Edward Aschoff, ESPN college football reporter, dies at age 34
                  9:16 PM ET
                  • Andrea Adelson
                  • Chris Low

Edward Aschoff, a beloved college football reporter for ESPN, died on Tuesday after a brief illness. He was 34.

"We are very sorry to have to share the devastating news of the tragic passing of friend and ESPN colleague Edward Aschoff," ESPN said in a statement. "He died earlier today, his 34th birthday. Our thoughts are with his loved ones, including his fiancee Katy."

A talented storyteller, whether he was on camera or crafting a written piece, Aschoff joined ESPN in 2011 as part of the SEC blog network after covering recruiting and Florida football for The Gainesville Sun. A graduate of the University of Florida, Aschoff had a keen sense of humor and connected with many he crossed paths with, be it professionally or personally.

USC coach Clay Helton opened his news conference Tuesday to offer his thoughts on Aschoff.

"Very, very sad," Helton said. "Very surprising. Wish nothing but the best for his family. Our condolences go out. He was nothing but first class to this organization and always to me. Ed, you'll be missed."

Aschoff was easy to spot in press boxes. Not only was he almost always the most dapperly dressed person there, with a collection of quirky socks that made him the envy of those around him -- but his bright smile and radiant disposition always drew a crowd.

His witty picks columns in the SEC blog were must-reads, and he oftentimes poked fun at himself about everything from his cat, Meeko, to his love of soccer. He was an inaugural season ticket-holder for Atlanta United FC and was there to watch the team win its first MLS Cup in 2018.

Aschoff had a knack for gaining the trust of people to tell the most delicate of stories, including his last feature on LSU running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire and his unique relationship with his father and stepfather.

He was equally tenacious when it came to tracking down news and taking an even-handed look at some of the more polarizing subjects in college football. In 2016, Aschoff and fellow ESPN reporter Adam Rittenberg won first place in the Football Writers Association of America writing contest in the enterprise category for their look at how race plays a role in college football after several African-American players confided in them about their experiences with race and racism on campus. Michael Weinreb, who served as a contest judge, called the reporting "eye-opening" and "surprisingly frank."

"Ed was one of the smartest, brightest reporters I've ever had the pleasure of working with," said ESPN executive editor Lauren Reynolds. "Watching him grow from our co-SEC reporter with Chris Low to a multi-platform national reporter was a treat. For as good of a reporter Ed was, he was an even better person. He always put people first -- those whose stories he told, and those who had the honor of working alongside him.

"The outpouring of love and support from those whose lives he touched has been overwhelming, and is a testament to the light he brought to this world."

Universally loved by his ESPN colleagues, Aschoff was the life of the party on road trips and became a connoisseur of all the top restaurants and night spots in college football locales. But his favorite lunch spot was Ajax Diner on the historic Square in Oxford, Mississippi.

In a tweet posted Tuesday night, ESPN senior vice president Rob King described Aschoff as "a ray of light."

"He smiled with his entire being, loved his fiancee and family, and brought joy to the job," King said in his tweet. "I hope you knew him, too."

Several of Aschoff's fellow college football reporters also took to social media to remember him.

[​IMG]
                    Kyle Bonagura

✔@BonaguraESPN

Edward Aschoff was one of my closest friends. He was was one the most genuine, enthusiastic, personable people I’ve ever and he made the world a better place.

Today is unspeakably sad and I’m devastated for Katy and his family.

9:30 PM - Dec 24, 2019
                    Twitter Ads info and privacy

21 people are talking about this

[​IMG]
                    Adam Rittenberg

✔@ESPNRittenberg

Ed Aschoff is one of the best people I know. Talented, kind, fun, gracious and always positive. A great colleague and an even better friend. All of us are devastated and heartbroken. Just isn’t fair. I love you, Ed, and will miss you. Prayers to Katy and Ed’s family. https://twitter.com/espnpr/status/1209657035341598725 …

ESPN PR

✔@ESPNPR

Statement from ESPN: “We are very sorry to have to share the devastating news of the tragic passing of friend and ESPN colleague Edward Aschoff. He died earlier today, his 34th birthday. Our thoughts are with his loved ones, including his fiancée Katy.”

9:27 PM - Dec 24, 2019 · Berkeley, CA

24 people are talking about this

[​IMG]
                    Bruce Feldman

✔@BruceFeldmanCFB

Devastated about Ed Aschoff’s passing. One of the kindest, warm-hearted people I’ve ever met. And, if you were lucky enough to have gotten to know him, there’s no question you feel that way too.. God, he will be missed.

8:33 PM - Dec 24, 2019

96 people are talking about this

[​IMG]
                    Max Olson

✔@max_olson

Can’t fathom the idea I won’t get to see Ed Aschoff again. Can’t fathom how this even happened. He was so damn young and so damn talented. This is a brutal loss.

8:44 PM - Dec 24, 2019

See Max Olson's other Tweets

Aschoff cut his teeth on SEC football while growing up in Oxford, where his father, the late Peter Aschoff, was a professor at Ole Miss. His mother, the late Patricia Aschoff, was a well-respected special education teacher in the Oxford School District. Aschoff always called her fried chicken and mac & cheese second to none.

He attended the University of Florida from 2004-08, and got an up-close view of some of those powerhouse national championship Gators' teams under Urban Meyer, helping cover the 2008 national championship team for The Gainesville Sun.

Upon joining the ESPN staff, Aschoff moved to Atlanta and quickly became known as the ATL Kid. As Aschoff progressed in the media business, he took pride in helping younger journalists break into the business and was always there to counsel and guide them any way he could.

He moved to Los Angeles in 2017 to begin a more expanded national role that included television coverage. Over the past three seasons, Aschoff reported from campuses across the country for ESPN.com, SportsCenter, SEC Network and ESPN Radio, and worked as a television and radio sideline reporter during college football games.

But Aschoff was more than just a college football fan. He loved sports, rooting for the Carolina Panthers in the NFL, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the NHL, the Colorado Rockies in MLB and the Toronto Raptors in the NBA. He was able to watch the Raptors beat Golden State this past June in Oracle Arena, writing on his Instagram page, "I remember being a little nerd in the backseat of my parents' car when my dad told me that the new NBA team would be named after a dinosaur. I immediately disowned the Bulls (sorry mom) and have been rooting for the Toronto Raptors ever since."

Nothing got Aschoff more giddy than Godzilla, whom he grew up idolizing. He could hardly contain his excitement when he was cast as an extra in Godzilla 2, released in May, and was able to attend the premiere in Los Angeles, where he got to meet a childhood hero, Kyle Chandler.

Aschoff and his fiancee, Katy, were set to be married in New Orleans in April. When Katy proposed to Edward last December, she gave him a Godzilla ring as she got on one knee.

• divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $10,871
                    Ratings:
                    +20,668 / -142
                    Young healthy people who aren't used to being sick like this usually think they can just fight it off. Wish he had been on IV antibiotics and 24 hour care earlier but it's hard to second guess specially without knowing all the details. But people should always go to the hospital if they ever say to themselves, "This is the sickest I've ever been" or "the most pain I've ever had" or "I just don't feel right". That's what hospitals are for.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
                      $8,593
                      Ratings:
                      +16,876 / -295
                      :(

Best writer from Gainesville in 20+ years.

Young. Enormous potential.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $16,575
                        Ratings:
                        +22,607 / -322
                        This is nice:

FWAA CREATES NEW AWARD IN MEMORY OF EDWARD ASCHOFF

FWAA > News > Edward Aschoff Rising Star Award

DALLAS (FWAA) – Edward Aschoff was always easy to spot in a press box – not just because of his dapper suit, his unique socks or trademark lapel pin – but also because of his infectious smile, his laugh, and his pure love for whatever assignment he was working on.

[​IMG]
                        Edward Aschoff
                        Aschoff, a beloved ESPN college football reporter, died on Christmas Eve – his 34th birthday – from previously undetected Stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in his lungs. He was a bright light in our industry, one the FWAA hopes to honor through an annual Edward Aschoff Rising Star Award.

Each year, the FWAA will recognize one promising journalist no older than 34, who has not only the talent and work ethic it takes to succeed in this business, but also the passion to make it better. Aschoff, a 2008 graduate of the University of Florida, loved people, and even as his career at ESPN escalated, he still guided and befriended younger journalists along the way.

"He was someone I always looked forward to seeing when our paths crossed in a random SEC press box or elsewhere, someone who always encouraged me as a younger journalist trying to navigate my way through this business and life, someone I always admired – both for his work and his zest for life – and someone I could always count on for a laugh," said Tom Green, who was a student at Florida when he met Aschoff in 2010 and is now the Auburn beat reporter for AL.com/Alabama Media Group. "I'll always be grateful for his friendship, his advice and his respect, because I know I'm better for having known Ed. We all are."

Aschoff moved to Los Angeles in 2017 to begin a more expanded national role that included television coverage. Over the past three seasons, he reported from campuses across the country for ESPN.com, SportsCenter, SEC Network and ESPN Radio, and he worked as a television and radio sideline reporter during college football games.

Jordan McPherson, a student reporter at Florida from 2013-17 who is now covering the Miami Marlins for the Miami Herald, said Aschoff helped him on several occasions.

"He was a pro's pro and touched my life with just a few brief interactions that he didn't have to make," McPherson said. "His positivity was infectious, his ability to mentor through simple conversation was second to none. He will be missed, but always be remembered."

Last month, the University of Florida's College of Journalism and Communications established the Edward Aschoff Memorial Fund, which will provide support for students involved in sports journalism.

"Edward was one of our stars – not just because he was so talented as a journalist and storyteller, but also because of everything he did to help people around him. He always had a good word of advice for young journalists, he was always willing to give back, and he always made people smile," said Ted Spiker, chair of the department of journalism at the University of Florida who taught Edward in several classes at UF.

During the 2015 college football season, Aschoff and ESPN.com colleague Adam Rittenberg were winners in the FWAA's annual best writing contest for their enterprise piece, "The racial impact of Eric Striker." Contest judge Michael Weinreb called it, "An eye-opening, surprisingly frank and timely examination about how college football is affected by issues of race and identity."

Aschoff inspired us through his storytelling, brightened our lives with his gregarious personality, and uplifted our spirits with his energy. The FWAA hopes to honor his memory and his commitment to aspiring journalists with this award.

"Edward epitomized everything you want in a sports journalist: He knew how to build relationships, to gain trust, to break stories but also to tell stories," said ESPN.com's Andrea Adelson. "And he did it all with a flair that made you want to watch his television pieces or read his written stories right away. His dogged determination and relentless work ethic allowed him to rise to the top at ESPN, and all his exemplary qualities serve as a model for young journalists everywhere about what truly can be achieved if you go after what you want."

To submit nominations for this award, please send a paragraph or two about the nominee, including why you are nominating him or her, and three links of work samples to Heather Dinich at heather.dinich@espn.com. Please include your name, job title, and a phone number. A panel of FWAA members will choose the winner. Entries should be submitted by June 1.

Founded in 1941, the Football Writers Association of America consists of 1,400 men and women who cover college football. The membership includes journalists, broadcasters and publicists, as well as key executives in all the areas that involve the game. The FWAA works to govern areas that include game-day operations, major awards and its annual All-America team. For more information about the FWAA and its award programs, contact Steve Richardson at tiger@fwaa.com.

• gator1946

gator1946 Senior Member
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $1,828
                          Ratings:
                          +3,308 / -61
                          I've lived more than twice as long as Ed did. I've had pneumonia before and made it with no problems. I'm looking for something fair about this. There is nothing fair. Life's not fair. RIP to a good guy.

78 Dazed and Confused
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $14,556
                            Ratings:
                            +20,609 / -1,117

Attached Files:

#69 78, Dec 25, 2019
                            Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
                            • FireFoley

FireFoley Senior Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $3,703
                              Ratings:
                              +5,204 / -319
                              Well to come home after a not so fun evening now to read this just totally screwed up the nite and the next few days. This not only brutally sad but almost unbelievable. Pneumonia? I mean that seems rare for a person that age. Sure I hear of elderly people passing from pneumonia brought on by other ailments, but a 33 yo? Unless it was some strong version of bacterial pneumonia? Maybe a more knowledgable member can enlighten us? RIP Ed. Way too soon.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $7,606
                                Ratings:
                                +10,936 / -162
                                Just saw this thread, and that's how I learned of it - so thank you to the GC family and sharing, even when the news is bad.

I had a friend from HS, he still lived in G'ville, died of pnuemonia only a few months ago (about 48-49y old). Stubborn fella, likely a smoker of weed/cigs/vaping. Just brutal to lose someone, esp when you think something could have been done.

Coming back to Ed, much respect all around, going back to his early days. He'll definitely be missed by more than he will ever have known he had touched. Rest well, Ed.

• Gator98MD

Gator98MD Senior Member
                                  Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $897
                                  Ratings:
                                  +1,801 / -39
                                  Well, assuming he had no Comorbid conditions such as diabetes, it’s hard to explain other than just bad luck and obviously sepsis. As others have said, pneumonia shouldn’t take the life of a healthy 34 year old. H1N1 influenza has of late had a predilection for killing the young, but rarely penumonia

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Bring Back Mohamed, Slev and Assquish
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $57,125
                                    Ratings:
                                    +84,449 / -5,453
                                    I don't think we do a good enough job in general of teaching people what things should be a sign that someone is in extremis, whether in the ER when discharging patients or even in general ed classes, like health class in high school.

He said mentions thinks like having trouble walking. He should have been back at the ER right then, which was like three weeks ago. By the time he is having trouble walking, his body isn't compensating well, either to dehydration or extreme pulmonary consolidation from the pneumonia.

It no doubt didn't help that ERs in LA (and most urban areas) are disaster areas and he probably didn't feel well enough to go there and wait 19 hours for help.

• NVGator

NVGator Member
                                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $7,470
                                      Ratings:
                                      +11,543 / -526
                                      So so sad. Heartbreaking. RIP Ed. Hope you are in a much better place.

• Gatordiddy

Gatordiddy Well-Known Member
                                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                        $6,352
                                        Ratings:
                                        +9,503 / -80
                                        Wow -
                                        Terrible indeed. She had some real shyt to deal with the last few weeks.

I did love her comment:
                                        “He wouldn’t have wanted to go out like that. His ass was too vain”

she sounds like she would have been a good wife for him.

78 Dazed and Confused
                                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                          $14,556
                                          Ratings:
                                          +20,609 / -1,117
                                          Sure does. So rare, so sad.

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                                              • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                              • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.