Best Posts in Thread: Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Virginia in the Orange Bowl

1. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $6,184
    Ratings:
    +10,010 / -20
    Maybe it wasn't quite the way most of us would have scripted it, but the 2019 Gators defeated the pesky and maybe underestimated Virginia Cavaliers. I mean, this was the same ACC team that got obliterated by Clemson. Certainly it was expected that we'd give them more of the same? Only we aren't Clemson and they came into this game with a lot to prove. They also have a pretty good QB, who didn't hurt us with his legs (Grantham's plan made sure of that) outside of extending some plays, but kept them in it with his arm. He had two receivers that weren't bad. We had several DB's that were. But that's been somewhat of a theme this year, hasn't it?

I know what many of you are thinking. 11-2 means little when you didn't win your division, losing to the Dawgs along the way, and you weren't in the playoffs. Disappointing? Yeah, I suppose. But regardless of who or what they did or didn't do that left us on the outside looking in, it's clear that Dan Mullen has a plan and some ideas about the direction the program is headed. Loosely quoted, he expressed that from last year to this we went from 10 wins to 11 (or from 9 to 10 if you consider the bowls meaningless ;)) and the next step, which will be harder, is to move from 11 to 12. Got to figure UGA will be pretty critical if that is to happen. If this plan isn't fast enough to suit you, well, tough sh!t. There's still work to be done in several areas. We all should know that. Perine reminded us that we were 4-7 his sophomore year. Yeah, there's a little bit to be proud of.

*We didn't get the 2 score victory that everyone seemed to be predicting. We made plenty of mistakes. Good grief I haven't seen as many of our kids slip and fall down like they did tonight in a long time. Unfortunately I have seen the blown coverages and an inability to compete with the receivers for some balls that were in abundance. But I did see a team that played hard. That will save you on a night when schematically some things aren't going well and your opponent is believing. This is a good trait to have when you're good, but not great. If you maintain it when you improve, you can be hard to beat. I think that has been a Mullen goal in his idea of progression.

*Hats off to the OL. We ran the ball better tonight than anytime during the season. Was Virginia a great D? Nope, but we have fared worse against worse. Good note to end on. And hats off to Perine. He looked as complete tonight as he ever has. Speed, some deft cuts, getting some tough yards after contact. Great way to finish your career. Good luck ahead to a great Gator!

*The 4th down option was a ballsy call. Mullen believed in his guys and they didn't let him down. There's a big difference in thinking you can do something and knowing you can. This is part of the team and individual character development that the really good teams understand and embrace.

*We will all miss Greenard. He more than earned his keep this year. Only regret was that we didn't have him his entire college career. He's a warrior and a class act. It was also good to see Zuniga out there. He looked a little rusty, but there's nothing wrong with his motor. David Reese is another guy I'll miss. All the departing receivers, Jefferson, Swain, etc. Thanks to these guys and all the seniors.

*Trask had a few erratic moments, but made enough good throws, play executions, and decisions to get the job done. EJ had some good runs, no pass attempts however. Forgotten, overlooked, still growing? :dunno:

*MacPherson had a great night to end his season. Townsend not so much. Both are great at what they do. They are a part of what is a strength of the special teams...the coverage teams and FG/PAT. The return teams? Even though KO returns have been pretty much neutered, the best I can say about PR is that Swain is pretty reliable with the fair catches. I'm not sure our return scheme allows for a lot of opportunities. Hopefully that changes in the near future ;).

*On a sad note, RIP Edward Aschoff. I always enjoyed his take. The announcers described him as "a proud Gator alum." He's what affiliation with our school s all about. A good person gone too soon. Prayers for his family and friends.

Another season completed and as Mullen said post game, the 2020 Gators will be "born in two weeks!" Can't wait to see them as they coalesce from winter to spring and summer and finally to next fall. Even though I find myself in the all too familiar position of wanting more, I feel like it is getting within reach. I didn't feel like that the last 10 years or so. Happy New Year to you all. Looking forward to many good things in 2020! As always...Go Gators!

:chomp:

• maheo30

maheo30 WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $10,986
      Ratings:
      +14,150 / -177
      My thoughts...

1. Early in the year sticks into our minds. But, Pitts has been an above average blocker in the last third of the season. Last night, he was really good to the point he was sealing off defensive ends.

2. This is a guess. But, when I listen to Mullen talk about Trask, I get the feeling that he has given Trask a lot more responsibility than Franks. Mullen didn't talk much about Franks changing plays at the LOS. He mentions it quite often with Trask.

3. Slaton was flat out dominating at times last night. It may have been his best game as a gator. If his play is carried into next season then watch out. We may finally have some elite d-tackle play.

4. Another great season. Mullen built upon last year. As he said in his press conference, now it is time to go from 11 to 12 wins.

#6 maheo30, Dec 31, 2019
      Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
      • oxrageous

oxrageous It's Good to be King
        Administrator

Oxbucks:
        $29,948
        Ratings:
        +46,496 / -1,797
        Talk about a massive difference in the passing game. In "good" games for Franks, he was lucky to hit 220 yards. Trask had an off night and still threw for 300. Awesome stuff.

• GatorJB

GatorJB Senior Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,453
          Ratings:
          +2,957 / -25
          UVA came to play. Fortunately, they were no match for Perine. Glad he ended his career with arguably his best game. Also, we don't win 11 games without Greenard. He'll be missed.

Mullen is certainly going for the slow and steady rebuild. Hard to envision us improving to 12 wins next year (really next two years) based on recruiting and the fact that we're losing several good players. I think the easy schedule will prevent us from looking worse. Mullen said that getting to 12 wins is a lot harder. I hope he realizes some assistant coaching changes are necessary to get over that hump. Your comment on special teams was a good example.

• Since65

Since65 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
            $265
            Ratings:
            +836 / -4
            I agree with most of what you have written but especially this. Sports competition is full of the unexpected and the "best" teams don't always beat the lesser teams. Upsets happen. Which is part of what makes watching live events so much fun. It's great to see that Mullen appears to be teaching the Gators the old Herm Edwards mantra "you play to win the game".

Thanks for all your reportage during the season. Happy New Year!

• Gator By Marriage

Gator By Marriage A convert to Gatorism
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $9,662
              Ratings:
              +10,359 / -159
              His block on the flea flicker was beautiful. Not many guys would have made that play.

• CaribGator

CaribGator 2020 Champs
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $3,263
                Ratings:
                +4,008 / -215
                Definitely has the team heading in the right direction. Did well on the early signing day.. Feels good to finally go in to the off season without cursing the coaching staff and worrying what kind of schitshow we’ll have next season.

Go Gators

• itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $14,379
                  Ratings:
                  +21,343 / -187
                  Well put, as always, Cover. Wholeheartedly agree on the comment regarding the timeline for our return to relevance. It was a serious job and Mullen has obviously got a plan. One that is working. The damage done by the previous 2 coaching regimes was thorough and that takes time to cleanse. Hopefully we’ll close some holes in the next couple of weeks during the final recruiting push. Above all, this team, and Coach Mullen, has earned our support, despite the opinions of a few.

#5 itsgr82bag8r, Dec 31, 2019
                  Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
                  • Cozumel Gator

Cozumel Gator Living in paradise, streaming all games
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $190
                    Ratings:
                    +234 / -1
                    Cover 2 Thank you for all your recaps this season. You are absolutely correct in your assessment the fog of the previous lost decade is lifted.

• CGgater

CGgater Gainesville Native

Oxbucks:
                      $7,295
                      Ratings:
                      +10,051 / -155
                      Good stuff as usual, cover! Great perspective on the game and the season.

To read the game thread, you'd think we were losing by 30. Sure, we should've won by a more comfortable margin, but VA played disciplined football - Bronco is no willie. "But climpson embarrassed VA, waaaahhhhh." News flash - we're not climpson.

Will we eventually get there? Maybe. At this point, I can only hope we see no further delays in the facilities upgrade and maybe DM will see the dead weight on his staff and bring in recruiters willing to earn their paycheck.

In the meantime, this football team is not an embarrassment anymore. We're 11-2 with our only losses to #1 lsu and a top 10 ugaly who has out recruited us for the last decade. DM must continue to build on his efforts thus far. If he's nearing his ceiling, hopefully the AD will recognize it. We shall see.

P.S. With the seniors we're losing, DM better close strong in Feb and develop the underclassmen in a hurry!

Go Gators!!! [emoji246][emoji246][emoji246]

• G8trwood

G8trwood Well-Known Member
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $2,003
                        Ratings:
                        +2,710 / -110
                        Thank you C2,

The field must have been really slick as a number of big plays for both teams came on a defender slip.

It was good to see Perine have a complete game, crisper cuts and acceleration and that blocking on the flicker. He will be missed.

David Reese had a solid game too, really stepped up on a number of big stops. I hope we have a replacement for him.

CDM 4th down call, wow, But he felt mo slipping and it was needed. Maybe stop running into the wall and exploit the edges a bit more. We were faster than their DL. Saw some WR blocking last night!

I think I counted 7 potential int last night, rough start for Trask. Glad he settled down and even had a few big runs. He seems to throw better with less time to think..lol.. number of back foot passes. Pitts and VJ had big nights, Cleve was Cleve.

I don’t even know what to say About the defensive backfield

It was a roller coaster and not an ass kicking, but the Gators fought tough for the W!

Go Gators

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                          $2,645
                          Ratings:
                          +3,910 / -342
                          Great comments as usual, I thought Trask was somewhat off and we did not seem to be able to get open deep. Some drops as well. I saw the beginning of the ACC championship game, VA offense was pretty good at the beginning. We had several defensive mistakes and of course some very close to sacks that would have made a difference. For those not satisfied, I am never satisfied with the play, but totally good with the results. We could have beaten LSU at their place.

• maheo30

maheo30 WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $10,986
                            Ratings:
                            +14,150 / -177
                            Since he had a solid game against Virginia, I figured I'd put this in here.

White working toward a starting job on O-line in 2020

A. White figures to play a major role on next year's offensive line. He can certainly push for a starting spot at guard, where he already looks like one of Florida's most athletic blockers pulling into space.

B. Florida's line seemed at its best when White was in with the starting lineup in Monday night's Capital One Orange Bowl win over Virgina.

C. "It was good to compete for a job, but it wasn't just me," White said humbly after the Orange Bowl. "It was all the other freshmen that are also trying to work themselves into starting roles."

The true freshman has a point. The Gators had nine first- and second-year players working on the O-line in bowl practices, and they'll add one or two more for spring ball and likely one more for the fall.

• Homer J

Homer J Senior Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $1,056
                              Ratings:
                              +1,487 / -109
                              I was thinking the same thing. With Kyle being off , it shows that CDM will not pull a QB to give the team a spark. This reminds me of the Kentucky game where Franks could not get anything going. Had he not gotten hurt, we would have lost that game.

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                                $4,695
                                Ratings:
                                +8,100 / -242
                                He was off, but part of it was they were trying to take away the pass and dare us to run. It wasn't his best game, but Virginia isn't a bad defense. But as the commentators pointed out there were 4 potential picks that bounces off the hands/chests of UVA defenders in the game. He will have to get better, or he will have to get replaced.

• fischerwood

fischerwood I believe we are on the way back now

Oxbucks:
                                  $204
                                  Ratings:
                                  +232 / -11
                                  I'd like to add that I thought Elam was a good shutdown corner, grew immensely this year, we need more coaching and execution from our other returning DB's...very toasty at times.

• NVGator

NVGator Member
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $7,451
                                    Ratings:
                                    +11,511 / -524
                                    Good stuff @cover2 Nail it completely. We were very good, but not great. Loved seeing Perine shine. Wish Zuniga had the same. The Offense has a few questionable calls while the Defense seemed to flip like a dead fish.

• NVGator

NVGator Member
                                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $7,451
                                      Ratings:
                                      +11,511 / -524
                                      1. I’m so ferking tired of the slanted F.

2. I’m so tire of seeing @cover2 getting 70+ Likes for his 2 cents.

• Funny Funny x 3
                                      • Like Like x 1
                                      • List
                                      • Alumni Guy

Alumni Guy Newbie
                                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                        $2,195
                                        Ratings:
                                        +2,898 / -119
                                        upload_2020-8-7_19-0-33.jpeg
                                        stupid slanted F font is stupid.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
                                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                          $12,094
                                          Ratings:
                                          +18,766 / -284
                                          Just think about where Saban and Alabama wound up, what #13? LSU rose to the top this year, but not so next year. We need to beat UGa. Who else is there but us?

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                                              • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                              • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.