Mike Leach hired at MSU; already entertaining the masses

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What a lateral move for leach. He made the pac12 title game one year, I think. The only way he sniffs the sec championship game is if he splurges for the sec network package. Dude must've really hated it out there.

I think he would have gladly coached at any SEC school. He was about to go to ut before Fulmer stepped in.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think Leach makes MSU a potential thorn in the side of the West powers, and gets them back to being a team that can’t be overlooked. He won’t win anything of consequence in the current landscape, but that’s never been his or the bulldog’s mo. They just disrupt. He will do that and beat someone he shouldn’t every year.

Considering their options just days ago, I’d say they hit a surprising home run. I had them dead in the water last week.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Gatorchatter in shambles...Grantham stays.
What's not to like about tons of sacks, INTs, fumbles, and other outstanding plays? Sure you give up a few TD's with a recklessly aggressive D. But it's damn fun to watch. And who cares, as long as you score more than the other team, you freaking win. You idiots want to win every game 35-7. You have Bama envy. Come on back down to earth and strain to compete for a our First Ship in more than a decade.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SEC, once again, dominating the charts.

We must have the best food as well as football.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. For some reason, someone thought that made the midwest look bad.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There is no way the chimp should be 8th on this list. That dude would go berserker in Vegas and it would be epic.

He’d get into a heated exchange with the flight attendant about a minor matter, force an emergency landing in Albuquerque and never even show. That whole lost is terrible and frankly none of them would make my trip.

Smart is gay and would totally flame out in that setting.

Pretty sure Mason and Stoops both have a touch of DS.

Partying with Kiffin in Vegas? No thanks, I’ve been subpoenaed before.

And zero chance I’m hanging with a fat guy at the pool or listening to booze-nose sob about his exwife at dinner.

I’d consider Mullen, Ogeron, Leach and maybe Gus.

The only ranking I agree with is Pruitt at the bottom. I picture him just riding that slanted elevator in the Luxor again and again, audibly asking, “wonder how they dun this?”.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Looks like we're stuck with Grantham then. Is he taking any other calls? Is anyone else calling? I'd think there would be people still looking at him for HC vacancies, just based on his numbers. You'd have to be an attentive Gator fan to know that his defenses are not as airtight in critical situations as the season-long stats would otherwise indicate.
The entire phvkking planet has heard of 3rd and Grantham! :cry2:

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Guys record is an average of 7 wins and 5 losses a year and that was in podunk conferences, I'm glad to see MSU embrace being mediocre.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I am just not so sure that a pirate who likes to hang out in Key West wlll be good fit in the Baptist culture of Starkville, Mississippi. John Cohen the Mississippi State AD said that his program is blue collar which plays hard nosed football and has to outwork their rivals who have more resources than they do. So what did he do? He goes out and hires 58 year old Mike Leach the poster boy for the air raid offense. I am not so sure how Leach is going to do against SEC West defenses like Alabama, Auburn, LSU week in and week out. I don't see how you can get anywhere in the SEC without playing defense and being able to run the ball.

Mullen was able to have success in Starkville based on his football philosophy, his energy, his clean cut demeanor, his confident yet also humble nature. That speaks to Mullen's ability as a football coach. But even Dan Mullen could not supplant Jackie Sherrill in the eyes of many of the MSU faithful. Of course, the Bulldogs were ticked off and bitter when Mullen returned to Gainesville.

Mississippi State football trolls Dan Mullen by honoring Jackie Sherrill

I think Cohen's hire of Leach was more of a counterpunch to the hiring of Lane Kiffin by Ole Miss than it was for trying to find the best long term fit for Mississippi State. Think what you want to about the Lane Kiffin hire, but it has just sucked all the air out of sports reporting in Mississippi. There's was nothing else left. Cohen had to get his school back in the conversation so he fired his coach and hired Leach. Cohen thought he had hired the right guy when he hired blue collar Joe Moorhead out of the coalfields of western Pennsylvania. I am not so sure he's hired the right guy now. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see. It's going to be an interesting season in the SEC.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I am just not so sure that a pirate who likes to hang out in Key West wlll be good fit in the Baptist culture of Starkville, Mississippi. John Cohen the Mississippi State AD said that his program is blue collar which plays hard nosed football and has to outwork their rivals who have more resources than they do. So what did he do? He goes out and hires 58 year old Mike Leach the poster boy for the air raid offense. I am not so sure how Leach is going to do against SEC West defenses like Alabama, Auburn, LSU week in and week out. I don't see how you can get anywhere in the SEC without playing defense and being able to run the ball.

Mullen was able to have success in Starkville based on his football philosophy, his energy, his clean cut demeanor, his confident yet also humble nature. That speaks to Mullen's ability as a football coach. But even Dan Mullen could not supplant Jackie Sherrill in the eyes of many of the MSU faithful. Of course, the Bulldogs were ticked off and bitter when Mullen returned to Gainesville.

Mississippi State football trolls Dan Mullen by honoring Jackie Sherrill

I think Cohen's hire of Leach was more of a counterpunch to the hiring of Lane Kiffin by Ole Miss than it was for trying to find the best long term fit for Mississippi State. Think what you want to about the Lane Kiffin hire, but it has just sucked all the air out of sports talking in Mississippi. There's was nothing else left. Cohen had to get his school back in the conversation so he fired his coach and hired Leach. Cohen thought he had hired the right guy when he hired blue collar Joe Moorhead out of the coalfields of western Pennsylvania. I am not so sure he's hired the right guy now. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see. It's going to be an interesting season in the SEC.

Oh, I could definitely see the whole thing going south at any point. It’s an odd fit for sure. And while yes, Leach is generally an odd fit anywhere, places like Lubbock and Pullman(so?) are ok being under the radar type programs. It really seems like Msu is not settling and trying to vault themselves to an upper echelon program. When he gets abrasive, it could get really entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.