Best Posts in Thread: Let’s talk Special Teams

1. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $3,982
    Ratings:
    +7,232 / -9
    I don't think it really matters who the returner is if we aren't going to hold up the gunners and the guys on the front line any better than we do. I know things have changed, but the old rule of thumb for a return was to hold up the gunners or at least delay their release and harass them all the way down the field. The interior guys should be engaged/held up and guided to which ever side of the field to create a lane for the returner. One or two players have to engage the up-backs and ensure that there will be a punt as quickly as possible. It is also imperative that the ball be fielded. We didn't execute the hold-ups and diversions very well at all. I do recall one game that we came close to blocking a couple of punts; otherwise, our primary purpose seemed to be simply to get the ball back wherever we could field it. PR can be a game changer if emphasized as such.

• Towels 'N Sporks

Towels 'N Sporks We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife

Oxbucks:
      $358
      Ratings:
      +400 / -64
      That seems almost like what we were doing this year. I would actually be fine with the strategy, but if we were going to do this, why is it that we rarely try to block punts?

It's like we don't try to block punts OR return punts. When its 4th and long and your return game is as bad as ours is, shouldn't we be sending the house when there's little to no chance of a fake? As bad as our return game was this year you would think we would have at least tried to block a few punts every game.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
        $7,312
        Ratings:
        +7,565 / -662
        You actually don't need to designate a ton of practice time to STs regardless of how much you emphasize it though. Largely, bc tons of STs players aren't starters so you can practice things simultaneously. Plus, installing a fake or a new punt block takes waaaayyyyy less time than installing 1 new defensive call. 'Emphasizing' STs really just means hiring a guy thats good instead of drawing straws to see what position coach also coaches STs.

• Oscar the G

Oscar the G Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $354
          Ratings:
          +357 / -239
          I'd fair catch every KO and not waste a minute practicing it. Punt returns could get jazzed up, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

• EyeDocGator

EyeDocGator Politically Incorrect
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $4,413
            Ratings:
            +5,706 / -108
            The rules already take this into account. If the punter runs outside the tackles (same boundary as grounding) he is no longer protected. Of course, targeting and late hits are still penalties, but you don't have to worry about touching the punter on an attempted block.

NCAA Rule 9 – Conduct of Players and Others Subject to the Rules – Ruletool

ARTICLE 16. Roughing or Running into Kicker or Holder
            When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick... The kicker’s protection under this rule ends:... when he carries the ball outside the tackle box (Rule 2-34) before kicking.

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $14,973
              Ratings:
              +20,097 / -146
              I’m not always the best at judging these things, but Copeland seemed to make several really tough, contested catches, while his drops were easy ones that he would make 9 times out of 10. That leads me to believe it was more about first time jitters and not an inherent issue. I expect him to be fine next season and I think with enough focus on that position, he’d be ok at PR as well.

• UFHealthGator

UFHealthGator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                $2,339
                Ratings:
                +2,384 / -86
                Copeland had slippery hands this year. Would make me nervous.

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                    • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                    • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.