Anybody taking advantage of Coronavirus?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
  • SP500: SDS for 2X bear
  • Nasdaq: QID for 2X bear
  • R2000: TWM for 2X bear
I know all the arguments against ETFs in general, but for the kind of swing trading I do relative to my "updates" here, I just use Ultra ETFs (up or down) for the major Indexes, commodities, and sometimes sectors and emerging markets. Other than by exception, I do not have time to worry about picking individual "winners/losers" other than some core, lonnnnnnnnng term, holdings. With the ETFs, for swing trading, I don't have to worry about Fire Foley's concerns about "big tech" or "dash to trash," I just play the entire index that I think has "the Mo."

Here's a list of ones that have good volumes:

ProShares Geared ETFs

I would never argue for/against what anyone wants to trade or not trade. I have used them myself. But since I like everyone in here, I would only say this. If you are going to use/trade the 2X's or 3X's ETF's, please know that if you are on the wrong side of the trade, they can get away from you very quickly. Limiting losses is equally if not more important than protecting your gains.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I would never argue for/against what anyone wants to trade or not trade. I have used them myself. But since I like everyone in here, I would only say this. If you are going to use/trade the 2X's or 3X's ETF's, please know that if you are on the wrong side of the trade, they can get away from you very quickly. Limiting losses is equally if not more important than protecting your gains.
Completely agree, especially with precious metals/oil which have wild volatility even without leverage.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Update:

• 10 yr (good indicator of market strength/direction) still showing rising strength (relatively speaking).
  • Dow Transports (leading indicator) now above mid-channel, but is now overbought on RSI, so likely a pullback to 21 or 34 EMA before up again.
  • R2000 (leading indicator) not overbought, but getting closer.
  • USD not showing any strength yet, no reversion up to the mean. As long as $ remains below 94, $ is still bearish which is positive for anything priced in dollars (markets, oil, metals...). "Smart money" is bullish on dollars, technical analysis says otherwise.
  • SP500 still on track to enter 3400-3453, but may get small pullback first.
  • SP500 support is now 3320, if we break that, could pull down to 21 or 34 EMAs to 3275-3235 (June high) major support, then the run up to 3453. 3320 is the number to watch.
  • SP500 still has the "mo," not time to short, yet.
  • Gold hit the #3 probably target projection for Dow Theory of 2076 and #2 for silver at 29, both bounced down, hard. Gold has hit support and bounced up. Way to early to say they topped, but runs up have probably ended for awhile. Might see a test back towards 2029 or even the highs, then a pullback to the 100 EMA around 1800. Could be a repeat of 2011 on the chart right now, but I think the bounce off the 100 or even 200 EMA will be much stronger than 2011. Silver is correlated to gold, support also held, same story.
  • Bitcoin chart structure still holding, but a correcting one, in down move now, then rise again above its highs. Support is 11150.
That's it for now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I bought some QID today. Not sure what's going to happen, but it'll be a fun ride!!

I'm not sure if teleworking is good or bad, but I've had more time to follow my accounts than I've ever had - ever. All of my accounts are up significantly higher than they were in March, so I'm doing something right!! I appreciate the help and inputs in this thread!

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
I bought some QID today. Not sure what's going to happen, but it'll be a fun ride!!

I'm not sure if teleworking is good or bad, but I've had more time to follow my accounts than I've ever had - ever. All of my accounts are up significantly higher than they were in March, so I'm doing something right!! I appreciate the help and inputs in this thread!
That ETF is for day trading only do not hold this very long or you will lose money daily. Look at the charts 5y ,1y, 6 m, 1 m, and you will see holding this long term is a serious loser. Better to go out 6 month to a year and buy some puts if you think it will go down significantly in that time frame. JMO

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
Check out GLD and SLV, I am not saying buy this right now however if you look at the dollar index the USD is getting hammered. Now imagine if you were buying or own treasuries as a safe haven right now, you effectively paying for the privilege in effective negative interest rates. This is precisely why Gold and Silver are on huge runs even with the recent correction which may or may not be over. JMO

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Keep an eye on the 10yr. Just got home and see it trading above 70 basis points (wow what a high rate LOL). but seriously, that is 20 basis points above last week's low which is a huge % move. Not sure if the 30 yr. auction was poorly received and that is why the long end is up? Either way it is worth watching. If I knew rates were rising b/c the economy was humming along I would not pay much attention. but the economy is not humming along. 950K first time jobless claims and still 28 million receiving some form of gov't unemployment help. Might just be that the people are going to make the treasury pay up if they want to issue so much paper.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

And we appreciate you and your service :clap::highfive:

Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, this is business. I don;t have to tell you that the 30yr. Conventional mtge. is up almost 25 basis points this week. Since I know what boat you are in, I am not saying this is the beginning of what you are waiting for but it is worth watching. This will cap prices in a hurry IMO as I believe people are at their limit regarding monthly payments. Keep an eye on these rates.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Keep an eye on the 10yr. Just got home and see it trading above 70 basis points (wow what a high rate LOL). but seriously, that is 20 basis points above last week's low which is a huge % move. Not sure if the 30 yr. auction was poorly received and that is why the long end is up? Either way it is worth watching. If I knew rates were rising b/c the economy was humming along I would not pay much attention. but the economy is not humming along. 950K first time jobless claims and still 28 million receiving some form of gov't unemployment help. Might just be that the people are going to make the treasury pay up if they want to issue so much paper.
That 20 point move means an astronomical amount has moved out of debt, but that cash has not been applied to another asset class yet. If 10 yr continues to rise going into Monday, markets could explode higher. We're in a crazy spot right now.

PS there is NO economy right now, zero.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
First, when I talk about "waves" in this thread, I'm referring to Elliott Waves. There are "waves within waves" in Elliott Wave Theory. For everything I talk about in this thread, we are currently in the Wave 5 (of 5) up wave (and Wave 5's are long, strong, up waves). This Wave 5 is the finish of a series of 5 waves that make up Wave 1 of a much, much, larger series of 5 waves. So, you'll see me talking about making highs below, and these will be the end of both that Wave 5, the smaller series of Wave 1-5 that it is a part of, but it will also be the end of the much larger up Wave 1 in the bigger series of waves. So that is why you see me talking about "Wave 2"... Wave 2's are sharp, deep, corrective waves in the 5 wave pattern. So the big drop that I refer to as the opportunity to get in cheap again is this Wave 2.... hope that helps! :lol: Now, before anyone hammers me on Elliott Waves, I think if you've read anything I've posted, it is but one of MANY "theories"/tools I use, and it is very useful. On their own, we can make fun of/poke holes in ALL of these theories (see Rule of 7's Dow Theory), but if you use say 3 to 5 of these things as tools/guides, and most of them all indicate the same damn thing, I think yer on ta somethin' you can act on. So far, my updates have been pretty damn accurate, but I am very curious, and very nervous, to see how it all holds up as we approach SP500 at the 3400 and above level. This is where I have to really steel myself to trade what's in front of me and not what i THINK and FEEL, and that's hard for everyone. Here's a primer on Elliott Waves if you want to at least get the gist of what I'm talking about with "Waves": Introduction to Elliott Wave Theory

Update:
  • Dow Transports: still holding, small corrective pattern, strong close friday. Bulls still well in charge.
  • R2000: same, still above June highs, small corrective pattern. Bulls still well in charge.
  • 10 yr still at .71 holding it's big rise. Bullish for stock markets.
  • Dollar still has not broken upward to break resistance and is still bearish. Needs to get above 94 to break bear trend. Bullish for stock markets.
  • "Smart money" (commercial hedging) still betting long. Bullish for stock markets.
  • All indicate continued bullishness, but as I've said, I'm very wary during this next push up.
  • Still on track to get up to 3400-3453 on SP500 by September/October.
  • Will probably see a small pullback when we hit near 3400 level (all time high) because it's natural resistance, then move back up. 3453 is going to be a tough level of resistance to break above, but could shoot as high as 3500 before rolling over.
  • 3320 is still key support. If we break that, could test 3235 (June high) level, then run up to all time high.
  • I still see all time high being taken out before we get the big pull back (big) Wave 2. We'd need to see the leading indicators (first 5 bullets above) break down to get more bearish.
  • Gold/Silver - some sideways consolidation, then retest highs ($2076), then we'll see whether it's 2011 redux (breakdown/failure to around $1800-$1850, first two Rule of 7's targets), or they go higher. If it breaks down now to 1800 instead of retesting highs, then we likely get bounce we would indicate next bull leg up. Gotta watch, remember, gold and especially silver, can be volatile as fuk and is susceptible to manipulation (the big silver drop last week was ONE trader, JP Morgan, doing a HUGE dump with a MARKET order. I suspect they will be the same ones buying in big if we get gold down around $1800.
  • Bitcoin. Had a big breakout. Still in its Wave 5 up move. Will likely follow what gold does, likely up to near $14000 levels before its big Wave 2 pull back. $11500 is key support right now. If that breaks, Wave 5 still holds after the ABC correction, and the remainder of the Wave 5 up move continues. Bulls are still strongly in control. I know people are skeptical of bitcoin, but it should not be ignored. I think it was around $7200 when I started talking about it in this thread and I'm still very bullish on it. It smashed higher through its upside resistance line from it's previous two highs.
First comments on what happens when we top (end of Wave 5) and get the big pullback (Wave 2 in the bigger wave count... Wave 5 would be the end of the bigger Wave 1):
  • Hit the SP500 highs mentioned above (3453).
  • Using Fibonacci retracements, here are the levels we are looking to drop to:
    • 38.2% = 2975 (most likely)
    • 50% = 2825
    • 61.8% = 2676
  • If we shoot higher than 3453, the likelihood of pushing down to 50% or even 61.8% increases.
  • Bad news is is that timing wise, this drop is likely going into the November elections, and the next big run up will just be starting (that will be the start of the bigger Wave 3 to newer all time highs).

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
First, when I talk about "waves" in this thread, I'm referring to Elliott Waves. There are "waves within waves" in Elliott Wave Theory. For everything I talk about in this thread, we are currently in the Wave 5 (of 5) up wave (and Wave 5's are long, strong, up waves). This Wave 5 is the finish of a series of 5 waves that make up Wave 1 of a much, much, larger series of 5 waves. So, you'll see me talking about making highs below, and these will be the end of both that Wave 5, the smaller series of Wave 1-5 that it is a part of, but it will also be the end of the much larger up Wave 1 in the bigger series of waves. So that is why you see me talking about "Wave 2"... Wave 2's are sharp, deep, corrective waves in the 5 wave pattern. So the big drop that I refer to as the opportunity to get in cheap again is this Wave 2.... hope that helps! :lol: Now, before anyone hammers me on Elliott Waves, I think if you've read anything I've posted, it is but one of MANY "theories"/tools I use, and it is very useful. On their own, we can make fun of/poke holes in ALL of these theories (see Rule of 7's Dow Theory), but if you use say 3 to 5 of these things as tools/guides, and most of them all indicate the same damn thing, I think yer on ta somethin' you can act on. So far, my updates have been pretty damn accurate, but I am very curious, and very nervous, to see how it all holds up as we approach SP500 at the 3400 and above level. This is where I have to really steel myself to trade what's in front of me and not what i THINK and FEEL, and that's hard for everyone. Here's a primer on Elliott Waves if you want to at least get the gist of what I'm talking about with "Waves": Introduction to Elliott Wave Theory

Update:
  • Dow Transports: still holding, small corrective pattern, strong close friday. Bulls still well in charge.
  • R2000: same, still above June highs, small corrective pattern. Bulls still well in charge.
  • Dollar still has not broken upward to break resistance and is still bearish. Needs to get above 94 to break bear trend. Bullish for stock markets.
  • "Smart money" (commercial hedging) still betting long. Bullish for stock markets.
  • All indicate continued bullishness, but as I've said, I'm very wary during this next push up.
  • Will probably see a small pullback when we hit near 3400 level (all time high) because it's natural resistance, then move back up. 3453 is going to be a tough level of resistance to break above, but could shoot as high as 3500 before rolling over.
  • 3320 is still key support. If we break that, could test 3235 (June high) level, then run up to all time high.
  • I still see all time high being taken out before we get the big pull back (big) Wave 2. We'd need to see the leading indicators (first 5 bullets above) break down to get more bearish.
  • Gold/Silver - some sideways consolidation, then retest highs ($2076), then we'll see whether it's 2011 redux (breakdown/failure to around $1800-$1850, first two Rule of 7's targets), or they go higher. If it breaks down now to 1800 instead of retesting highs, then we likely get bounce we would indicate next bull leg up. Gotta watch, remember, gold and especially silver, can be volatile as fuk and is susceptible to manipulation (the big silver drop last week was ONE trader, JP Morgan, doing a HUGE dump with a MARKET order. I suspect they will be the same ones buying in big if we get gold down around $1800.
  • Bitcoin. Had a big breakout. Still in its Wave 5 up move. Will likely follow what gold does, likely up to near $14000 levels before its big Wave 2 pull back. $11500 is key support right now. If that breaks, Wave 5 still holds after the ABC correction, and the remainder of the Wave 5 up move continues. Bulls are still strongly in control. I know people are skeptical of bitcoin, but it should not be ignored. I think it was around $7200 when I started talking about it in this thread and I'm still very bullish on it. It smashed higher through its upside resistance line from it's previous two highs.
First comments on what happens when we top (end of Wave 5) and get the big pullback (Wave 2 in the bigger wave count... Wave 5 would be the end of the bigger Wave 1):
    • 50% = 2825
    • 61.8% = 2676
  • If we shoot higher than 3453, the likelihood of pushing down to 50% or even 61.8% increases.
  • Bad news is is that timing wise, this drop is likely going into the November elections, and the next big run up will just be starting (that will be the start of the bigger Wave 3 to newer all time highs).

All good stuff and Robert Prechter would be proud. Thanks for posting all this information.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So, after absolutely bashing gold for decades, Warren B buys $560M in shares of Barrick while simultaneously dumping bank stocks. Barrick was his only significant buy in Q2

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So, after absolutely bashing gold for decades, Warren B buys $560M in shares of Barrick while simultaneously dumping bank stocks. Barrick was his only significant buy in Q2

It is quite interesting b/c for all the years Buffet avoided tech stocks, his first tech purchase was I think IBM, which he has since sold. Be that as it may, my senses tell me that unless it is the outright purchase of a company, many of Berkshire's stock purchases are being decided by some of his younger charges. They seem to take on the feeling of buying high to potentially sell higher, more of a trader's thinking so to speak. Even tho Buffet got a sweet deal in the preferreds with OXY, he waded into the common stock in the mid to upper 30's a few months after his preferred deal. It looked okay for about 2 days and now he is bathing in that common stock position. So I think the tech purchases as well as his soiree into the gold miner is being led by the next generation.

Update. Buffet is no longer bathing in the OXY common stock bathtub. He exited that position. He still has that sweet 8% preferred OXY position.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Goldman Sachs just lifted its S&P 500 price target. Here’s why

Goldman Sachs became the latest firm to increase its price target for the S&P 500 (SPX) boosting its year-end target by 20%, from 3000 to 3600.

Strategists, led by David Kostin, expect the yield on the 10-year Treasury (BX:TMUBMUSD10Y) to rise, from 0.7% now to 1.1% by the end of the year. That, all things being equal, would be bad for stocks, as it would imply a higher bar on relative valuation to hurdle. But they expect the equity risk premium to decline.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Update:
    • 50% = 2825
    • 61.8% = 2676
This is really interesting stuff. I know that it takes more than a minute to put together, so thanks for the effort. BTW - I am one of those skeptical about Bitcoin.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Goldman Sachs became the latest firm to increase its price target for the S&P 500 (SPX) boosting its year-end target by 20%, from 3000 to 3600.

Strategists, led by David Kostin, expect the yield on the 10-year Treasury (BX:TMUBMUSD10Y) to rise, from 0.7% now to 1.1% by the end of the year. That, all things being equal, would be bad for stocks, as it would imply a higher bar on relative valuation to hurdle. But they expect the equity risk premium to decline.
So, Goldman is catching up to my posts? ;)

Seriously though, this is Goldman baiting retail investors (i.e. you and me) into a blow off top. This is why I say my upside target is 3453, but may well blow through 3500 before the Wave 2 down move.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
This is really interesting stuff. I know that it takes more than a minute to put together, so thanks for the effort. BTW - I am one of those skeptical about Bitcoin.
Thanks... just trying to help out (or at least give a "guide post" with the SP500). As for your skepticism, I get it, completely, and I got in reluctantly and treated it "Vegas style" in terms of willingness to lose it, not as a core holding (but it is that now, albeit in a very small way, but still in the "speculative" category). But I think we are at a point where one cannot ignore the cryptos. It's yet another example of of something that was ridiculed as pure "quackery" to where now the Fed openly admits it is collaborating with MIT on a... crypto currency. I still can't believe it in my heart, but my head definitely tells me that we are headed to a digital currency over the next decade, tops.

Another note on skepticism... we're at a point where if my options are say Boeing or Bitcoin, which one am I really more "skeptical" of?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Thanks... just trying to help out (or at least give a "guide post" with the SP500). As for your skepticism, I get it, completely, and I got in reluctantly and treated it "Vegas style" in terms of willingness to lose it, not as a core holding (but it is that now, albeit in a very small way, but still in the "speculative" category). But I think we are at a point where one cannot ignore the cryptos. It's yet another example of of something that was ridiculed as pure "quackery" to where now the Fed openly admits it is collaborating with MIT on a... crypto currency. I still can't believe it in my heart, but my head definitely tells me that we are headed to a digital currency over the next decade, tops.

Another note on skepticism... we're at a point where if my options are say Boeing or Bitcoin, which one am I really more "skeptical" of?
Would your answer be the same if it was a broader question. I.E., of which are you more skeptical, jet aircraft or virtual currency?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Would your answer be the same if it was a broader question. I.E., of which are you more skeptical, jet aircraft or virtual currency?

Yeah, I get that. It's different asset classes... I put Bitcoin in the category of gold. It's a hedge/insurance on the dollar/markets, not something you "invest" in.

When I'm talking about the "skepticism" with "Boeing," I'm more saying this: "How in the fuk are you supposed to pick an individual stock, using all traditional methods, when the USG comes in the next day and does a "Boeing/Eastman-Kodak/McKesson"? How is a competitor supposed to compete with that? What if your analysis had you buy a competitor stock, for all the right reasons, and not one of those three? In my analogy, I'm simply saying that the "free market" and true "price discovery" are dead... unless you are a "chosen one."

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Yeah, I get that. It's different asset classes... I put Bitcoin in the category of gold. It's a hedge/insurance on the dollar/markets, not something you "invest" in.

When I'm talking about the "skepticism" with "Boeing," I'm more saying this: "How in the fuk are you supposed to pick an individual stock, using all traditional methods, when the USG comes in the next day and does a "Boeing/Eastman-Kodak/McKesson"? How is a competitor supposed to compete with that? What if your analysis had you buy a competitor stock, for all the right reasons, and not one of those three? In my analogy, I'm simply saying that the "free market" and true "price discovery" are dead... unless you are a "chosen one."
I agree with your point about Boeing (or Kodak, etc.) and I hate the USG picking winners (and thus de-facto "losers"). As for Bitcoin versus gold, at least gold has actual uses - and if nothing else I have yet to meet a female who didn't like it and want to take physical possession! To my way of thinking, there is no comparison between virtual currency and anything else you might invest in. To include actual currency. It may totally be my lack of a complete understanding - and God knows I have had to sit through a bunch of lectures on how it works - but I will leave the investing in it to others. I am fully willing to admit that a lot things discussed in this thread are way outside my wheel house and thus not where I put any money. I am rooting for you though!
FTR - I am fully willing to be educated and disabused of my ignorance! (Just understand it might be like teaching a special ed class.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.