Anybody taking advantage of Coronavirus?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Anyone who is interested in ETF's, a new ETF is supposed to launch this week: SUBZ. It is an ETF that invests in the streaming sector - the first ETF of it's kind. I read a daily blog and this is the cut and paste discussing it:

The streaming sector will get its own ETF next week when the Roundhill Streaming Services & Technology ETF (SUBZ) launches. The actively-managed exchange-traded fund is set to invest in companies that develop, manufacture, distribute, or sell products or services related to the delivery of data or media content (audio and video) over the Internet. The fund will be the very first to focus exclusively on the streaming sector. Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) and fuboTV (OTC:FUBO) would be appear to bet good bets to be headliners in the fund.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Sounds like you're killing it. I've had a nice run, but just got crushed on SEOVF - it was up big and I kept adding shares....and it's dropped quite a bit. I'm long, so hopefully it comes back (I'm down 21% or so).

I've done a lot of 'risky' investing the last 4+ months and have done well with it. I want to sort of clean that up (sell them off) and stick to the bluechips while we see what happens w/ this new administration.

I made a ton on MARA, got back in and I'm down a bit right now. It moves very closely w/ bitcoin, so it's very volatile. I'm in ETHE also, another very volatile mover.

If you still have MARA, you should be feeling pretty good today. At this point, in after hours trading, it's up to over $35, up over 50% from Friday's close.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If you still have MARA, you should be feeling pretty good today. At this point, in after hours trading, it's up to over $35, up over 50% from Friday's close.

I buy and sell MARA based on what bitcoin is doing. I only had about $1200 worth at the opening, but yeah.....it's a nice hedge. I'll probably sell if it creeps up tomorrow and wait for the next dip to get back in. I bought it originally for ~$5.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@Concrete Helmet and any others who are involved in real estate/mortgages, etc., I know that it would be a while for rate increases to work its way thru the system to potentially slow activity, but as someone who watches interest rates every minute as a clue to any stock market effects, well today was something I believe could foretell something. The 10 year treasury has had trouble trading higher than 1.38% (until today) and the 30 yr. Treasury was not getting above 2.18ish%. Well prior to the opening this AM, when the 10 yr touched 140% it was like a wave of algo's kicked in and sold treasurys to a point where the 10yr. hit a high of 1.43% and the 30 yr. hit a high of 2.30ish%. I note these 2 highs b/c the stock algo's then sold futures and stocks prior to the opening. After the stock opening and an hour of so later, the bonds stopped selling off and rates stabilized only to trend lower the rest of day leading to the stock rally. But it appears that we are reaching a level in rates that stocks might not be too comfortable with. So please let us know if you real estate guys begin to see any notable downturn in biz. I know it will still be busy but I am looking for any early signs.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Update: 10 yr. moves above 1.45% and 30yr. trades above 2.30% taking out recent highs early this morning. NAsdaq Futures slump to down 150+. Not making predictions but just saying to be careful the high P/E stocks if long rates continue to climb.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
10 YR Treasury breaks 1.50% for the first time in quite a while and the toilet just flushed. At some point prices will reach a point where they can sustain these slightly higher rates, but clearly not yet. Have that "want to buy list" nearby.:dunno:

10 yr. actually hit 1.61 but that had to be the algos b/c it was super fast

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
10 YR Treasury breaks 1.50% for the first time in quite a while and the toilet just flushed. At some point prices will reach a point where they can sustain these slightly higher rates, but clearly not yet. Have that "want to buy list" nearby.:dunno:

10 yr. actually hit 1.61 but that had to be the algos b/c it was super fast
The ONE thing the two people I follow have been pounding this week is "WATCH THE 10 YR!!!!!"

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Thanks man. I did not know you followed me, LOL.:fistbump: Stay nimble.
:lol:

Here's the other thing... the one that stresses the relationship between the 10 yr, USD, oil, and financial sector is a die hard "buy the pullbacks" guy, especially on bitcoin. He sent an update a few hours ago, "I would NOT buy this dip, be patient"

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Just got another update... says that this will allow them to finally talk publicly about yield curve control (never admitted, but ongoing since QE1) and a total green light to print in numbers we can't comprehend and continuing buying EVERYTHING.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Just got another update... says that this will allow them to finally talk publicly about yield curve control (never admitted, but ongoing since QE1) and a total green light to print in numbers we can't comprehend and continuing buying EVERYTHING.

Agreed. That is their next logical step by buying more longer term paper. Even today the short end of the curve actually moved up. It had been a lead weight.

To your point, the regular trading hours in bonds closes at 3pm, so today's close will the the highest closing yield for the 10 yr. in over a year, so for the technicians that is relevant. And 1.61 becomes the referenced intraday high for potential up moves in the (near) future perhaps?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Agreed. That is their next logical step by buying more longer term paper. Even today the short end of the curve actually moved up. It had been a lead weight.

To your point, the regular trading hours in bonds closes at 3pm, so today's close will the the highest closing yield for the 10 yr. in over a year, so for the technicians that is relevant. And 1.61 becomes the referenced intraday high for potential up moves in the (near) future perhaps?
No, I mean EVERYTHING.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
And people need to really understand what "yield curve control" means... so far, it's just been used to condition us to think "oh, this is normal and ok"

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ok, this has nothing to do with anything. But I saw this gif on a stock forum when someone was happy about a good buy today. I about spit out my coffee.

giphy.gif

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Man, I have taken a BEATING this week. I haven't tallied it up yet, but I think I'm down 12% this week. I did add a bunch of AAPL, 3 shares of TSLA, and a little bit of BTC though! :)

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Man, I have taken a BEATING this week. I haven't tallied it up yet, but I think I'm down 12% this week. I did add a bunch of AAPL, 3 shares of TSLA, and a little bit of BTC though! :)

Hang in there @BMF. As you know it goes both ways and why I learned a zillion years ago to never cackle or take a victory lap. Amazing how most people have winners all the time, LOL

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hang in there @BMF. As you know it goes both ways and why I learned a zillion years ago to never cackle or take a victory lap. Amazing how most people have winners all the time, LOL

True about how some people always have winners. I've actually done really well since April 2020, so I'm due for a "correction". I'm hoping it makes a little comeback next week and I can get out of a few positions (maybe get back 5% or more...so I'm only down 6-7%....hopefully).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator