Anybody taking advantage of Coronavirus?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All my holdings that I have for a long time are still doing great. You know... classic bluechips.

I bought a bunch of oil related things last year and those are crushing it.

It’s the new, cutsie stuff that I have dabbled in over the last 4-ish months that are getting slaughtered. I am a big believer in a couple, so I keep buying more on each dip.... which feels like 10 days in a row now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
All my holdings that I have for a long time are still doing great. You know... classic bluechips.

It’s the new, cutsie stuff that I have dabbled in over the last 4-ish months that are getting slaughtered. I am a big believer in a couple, so I keep buying more on each dip.... which feels like 10 days in a row now.

That's the boat I'm in, but even APPL is down about 10% over the last two weeks (they were nearing $140, fell to $120 this week). Some of my riskier ("cutsie") stuff is doing really sh*tty, but a couple are doing really well. I've added to most of them on their dips, but I'm fearing a couple of them are done - or won't come back to near where I got in. You win some....you lose some.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
Man, I have taken a BEATING this week. I haven't tallied it up yet, but I think I'm down 12% this week. I did add a bunch of AAPL, 3 shares of TSLA, and a little bit of BTC though! :)
Ha! I'm down 17% for this week on my two trading accounts (plus crypto). Beat that!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ha! I'm down 17% for this week on my two trading accounts (plus crypto). Beat that!

Oooof! I expect we'll see a rise next week since the house Dems passed the irresponsible stimulus. Hopefully the senate can make some cuts. But, on the theme of this thread, it should give the market a boost next week (I hope).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The last month has been like this for me...
hold-my-beer-101126.gif

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

???? Which ones ???? Misery likes company.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
???? Which ones ???? Misery likes company.

One is a fintech company called Sofi. I've been a customer of theirs for a long time when they were basically the only company who would refi my wife's student loan. I've posted about the company plenty of times on here. A true one stop shop for everything financial related. At one time, I had a school loan refi, private loan, mortgage, savings/checking, brokerage account, and credit card through them.... and all of it managed in one app. Just an amazing company. Plus, next years Super Bowl will be held in Sofi Stadium. They have already announced they are going public with a SPAC merger under the current ticker of IPOE (Chamath Palihapitiya is the sponsor). All the SEC paperwork has been filed and the ticker should change within the next few months.

The 2nd is an EV market play. In my humble opinion, the EV industry has an Achilles Heel: available chargers. I put a little into Switchback Energy, which was also a SPAC merger for a charging company called ChargePoint. That deal is actually finalized and the ticker is changing from SBE to the CHPT this very morning. But the more I researched it, the more I think EVGo will be THE charging company. They announced exclusive deals with GM and BMW. And they announced they are putting in Tesla chargers in their locations and those will be viewable on the Tesla network/app. Ironically, this one is also going public through an announced SPAC merger. The current SPAC ticker is CLII. Which is "Climate Change Crisis Real Impact" which has to go down as the dumbest ticker name in the history of the market. But the goal is to go after the eventual ticker of EVGO.

Naturally, these SPACs all doubled in price once they found a company to bring public. I am not going to invest in SPACs on the hopes they find an eventual customer. But these mergers have already been announced, so it is now just a waiting game. Since their announcements and after their initial bump, both are basically just flapping in the wind. Which is fine, I pick up more on each down day and have patience. I think SOFI will end up being huge and will probably be a forever hold. I am not certain about EVGO... but I think it's worth putting in some big chips and seeing how it goes.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
The 2nd is an EV market play. In my humble opinion, the EV industry has an Achilles Heel: available chargers. I put a little into Switchback Energy, which was also a SPAC merger for a charging company called ChargePoint. That deal is actually finalized and the ticker is changing from SBE to the CHPT this very morning. But the more I researched it, the more I think EVGo will be THE charging company. They announced exclusive deals with GM and BMW. And they announced they are putting in Tesla chargers in their locations and those will be viewable on the Tesla network/app. Ironically, this one is also going public through an announced SPAC merger. The current SPAC ticker is CLII. Which is "Climate Change Crisis Real Impact" which has to go down as the dumbest ticker name in the history of the market. But the goal is to go after the eventual ticker of EVGO.
I've had good luck with CLII. Don't think it hurts that one of the principals was part of the Obama administration.
CCIV's another one that's been good to me.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
@FireFoley When did the Fed stop reporting M2 weekly and switch to monthly? I'm guessing around the same time they reduced the fractional lending reserve requirement to 0%.

M2 Money Stock (DISCONTINUED)

PS I can see the answer to my question in the link... just mind blowing the games that are being played now.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
One is a fintech company called Sofi. I've been a customer of theirs for a long time when they were basically the only company who would refi my wife's student loan. I've posted about the company plenty of times on here. A true one stop shop for everything financial related. At one time, I had a school loan refi, private loan, mortgage, savings/checking, brokerage account, and credit card through them.... and all of it managed in one app. Just an amazing company. Plus, next years Super Bowl will be held in Sofi Stadium. They have already announced they are going public with a SPAC merger under the current ticker of IPOE (Chamath Palihapitiya is the sponsor). All the SEC paperwork has been filed and the ticker should change within the next few months....
Thanks Brad. I got 20K I want to plunk down somewhere this week. Was going to Bitcoin with it, but fudge that with all the recent gains it's made since Elon bought 1.5 Billion last month.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Brad. I got 20K I want to plunk down somewhere this week. Was going to Bitcoin with it, but fudge that with all the recent gains it's made since Elon bought 1.5 Billion last month.

Dont buy those 2 on my recommendation :lol:

Like I said earlier, these "cutsie" ones are eating my lunch.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So I have an odd one. Last year, I spent some beer money on GE and bought 100 shares at $6.30 per share. The dog of the S&P. Damn thing is up 110%. Obviously we are not talking huge money here, but still real profit. Sell this turd and be happy with my $700 in profit, or hold on? I find this holding hilarious for some reason.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@FireFoley When did the Fed stop reporting M2 weekly and switch to monthly? I'm guessing around the same time they reduced the fractional lending reserve requirement to 0%.

M2 Money Stock (DISCONTINUED)

PS I can see the answer to my question in the link... just mind blowing the games that are being played now.

Nothing surprises me anymore about what the FED does. Just like everything is transitory to them and the balance sheet size does not matter and we have more tools, etc. etc. etc., I am convinced they do not want anyone knowing anything. Since M2 is basically the most liquid of liquid measurements, it has probably increased at a faster pace due to all the stimulate me money. Which means all the talking morons talk about all the gagilllions on the sidelines waiting to be spent and/or poured into the market. Maybe the academic geniuses are trying to throw those who care off the scent of inflation any way they can. Those guys are going to be wrong and/or late and with whatever they end up doing.

But thanx for putting that snippet in here. Kind of like when something yells inflation, those Einstein's will invaribly say well that is not really a good measure of inflation anymore. By the time they tell the world they are going to do something or taper, etc. the bond market would have figured it out 6+ months in advance.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Nothing surprises me anymore about what the FED does. Just like everything is transitory to them and the balance sheet size does not matter and we have more tools, etc. etc. etc., I am convinced they do not want anyone knowing anything. Since M2 is basically the most liquid of liquid measurements, it has probably increased at a faster pace due to all the stimulate me money. Which means all the talking morons talk about all the gagilllions on the sidelines waiting to be spent and/or poured into the market. Maybe the academic geniuses are trying to throw those who care off the scent of inflation any way they can. Those guys are going to be wrong and/or late and with whatever they end up doing.

But thanx for putting that snippet in here. Kind of like when something yells inflation, those Einstein's will invaribly say well that is not really a good measure of inflation anymore. By the time they tell the world they are going to do something or taper, etc. the bond market would have figured it out 6+ months in advance.
Agreed on all... it was @Taco Gratis post about how housing/rent doesn't show up in inflation numbers that made me think of this.

PS The 10 yr looked pretty "controlled" today, no?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Agreed on all... it was @Taco Gratis post about how housing/rent doesn't show up in inflation numbers that made me think of this.

PS The 10 yr looked pretty "controlled" today, no?

I don; think anyone really knows what "owner's equivalent rent" means as used as the housing inflation #. How they don't consider house prices going up 20% a year as inflation is beyond me. But they don;t count stock prices going up as inflation either. whatever fits the narrative is what they will do.

That treasury blow up for a second last week was interesting. Heard a couple of possibilities, but have you noticed that both the ECB and the Central Bank if Australia have been talking LOUDLY trying to curb this rate rise? They can ill afford those rates to rise. I am sure they have placed a call to Chair Powell, so I have to think as you mentioned that "yield caps" are quietly being done now and will become public if there is another blow up in rates in the near future.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I don; think anyone really knows what "owner's equivalent rent" means as used as the housing inflation #. How they don't consider house prices going up 20% a year as inflation is beyond me. But they don;t count stock prices going up as inflation either. whatever fits the narrative is what they will do.

That treasury blow up for a second last week was interesting. Heard a couple of possibilities, but have you noticed that both the ECB and the Central Bank if Australia have been talking LOUDLY trying to curb this rate rise? They can ill afford those rates to rise. I am sure they have placed a call to Chair Powell, so I have to think as you mentioned that "yield caps" are quietly being done now and will become public if there is another blow up in rates in the near future.
I'm not a conspiracy nut, there is just no question that all the CBs are in this together and they are all subservient to the Fed, cuz, well, the Fed floats all of them as well.... the Fed is the lender, and now buyer, of last resort... and everything.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
I'm not a conspiracy nut, there is just no question that all the CBs are in this together and they are all subservient to the Fed, cuz, well, the Fed floats all of them as well.... the Fed is the lender, and now buyer, of last resort... and everything.
"Never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by game theory." :lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
"Never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by game theory." :lol:
And for the zillionth time, this is how my "teacher of things" put it to me...

"OK, we're sitting in a stadium full of 80,000 people. The team is in the huddle. You lean over to me and say, 'I think they are talking about us.' THAT is a conspiracy, nothing else is." :lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

Rent is measured for inflation purposes by the government using SF and NY....go figure why their number is lower than what I call real inflation which to me is in the 8-9% range.

The treasury suckage from last week as you know and explained to me was because the last auction was the worst EVER... nobody wanted them.

Regarding the yield control which is coming was explained to me by someone on Friday which basically said that if interest rates rose to say 5-6% that nearly the entire world including the US would become insolvent due to the payments on worldwide debt not being able to work against the current amount of debt held by nearly every nation on the planet...good times were living in.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb