The Urban Meyer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Could easily see the top QB Ewers (who had committed to Texas than decommitted and went to Ohio State) flipping back over if Meyer signs.

One thing about Meyer's approach is that he doesn't neglect defense. Texas has definitely struggled on offense for most of the last decade (mirroring our own struggles), but their defense has usually been one of the better defenses in the Big 12. With the type of athletes in-state, they'll be a force if Meyer gets that train up and running since no one else in that conference plays defense.
I watch Texas every week if there’s not a conflict with Us.
My Son In Law is as big a Texas fan as I am Florida.
Good thing for us is , #1 It would be rare to ever play them and #2 My daughter and I have him convinced the Gators will eventually take down Bama and the SEC is the best conference in the country.
He wears Gator gear from time to time too.

To say they play okay defense though, ugggghhh.
No.
I think they’re on Herman’s 2nd or maybe 3rd D coordinator.
They have Ash now but damn, he’s the 2nd coming of Grantham.

Ehrlinger is a fantastic dual threat QB.
They have adequate receivers and a really great looking Freshman RB.

In my opinion, if their defense was just a little better, they would have lost only 1 game so far and would be in the top 10.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
In addition, Texas is already running Urban’s offense under Herman.
Essentially, the same we run.

It would be a quick and easy turnaround on that side of the ball.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You gotta admit it is funny that the old running mates Meyer and Mullen were each committed to overlooking a quarterback who went on to have an epic season.

Hell, let’s not stop there. How about Cam Newton?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Lol.... no. We were Alabama until Saban clipped his balls and made him run home Creying.

I can agree that the pressure got to him and he bailed, in large part, due to that game. But it was also about style and fit, neither of which endeared him to many of the big UF names. I listened to talk radio and read boards all the way home from Atl, and it was insane how many people were adamant that we had to completely revamp the offense and model Alabama. It was the out for many big names, several of which I’ve spoken to directly, that hated him. Many of the local former stars were vocal about their dislike of his system and favored a more traditional offense as well. Just the fact that we took Joyer in that next class and were suddenly trying to transition into something we’ve never been while having any sustained success, says that such mentality got to him. Part(not all) of 2010’s disaster was having no identity on offense and trying to use a QB that he never wanted in the first place. All of this was because he caved to pressure because of one outcome.

That said, it won’t be much different at Texas. He’s not one of them either. If he couldn’t sustain things at OSU, there’s zero chance he can do it anywhere else. He’ll kill it, win something and be done again.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You gotta admit it is funny that the old running mates Meyer and Mullen were each committed to overlooking a quarterback who went on to have an epic season.

Hell, let’s not stop there. How about Cam Newton?

If Brantley never decommits from Texas and is sort of forced on Meyer(even by Bell himself), then Newton finishes his career as a Gator. No doubt in my mind. Yes, he had issues from academics to the laptop. But we weren’t going to be completely without a QB.

Not sure if he ever becomes exactly what he’s become if he’d stated. But I think it would’ve also had an impact on Meyer staying a little longer, which may have stemmed the rise of Alabama to a degree.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If Brantley never decommits from Texas and is sort of forced on Meyer(even by Bell himself), then Newton finishes his career as a Gator. No doubt in my mind. Yes, he had issues from academics to the laptop. But we weren’t going to be completely without a QB.

Not sure if he ever becomes exactly what he’s become if he’d stated. But I think it would’ve also had an impact on Meyer staying a little longer, which may have stemmed the rise of Alabama to a degree.

That makes it all the more laughable. Brantley was an awful fit for the offense we ran.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Brantley was an awful fit for any offense.

The Brantley name is Gator royalty. You almost got the sense that Meyer was prodded into recruiting him. I could be wrong, but wooing him from Texas was like Jay Leno adding an ‘07 Corvette to the garage. Unnecessary.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Texas does this every time they are moving towards a coaching search. I guarantee you all those report are total BS.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That makes it all the more laughable. Brantley was an awful fit for the offense we ran.

Perhaps my point was lost in the post. Meyer didn’t choose Brantley. Not in recruiting, not from a roster management standpoint. He felt obligated to pursue him, and then(I believe) was helpless regarding CN, as his troubles sealed his fate, especially when you consider the name that was waiting in the wings. Brantley’s presence was the difference.

So it’s tough to say Meyer somehow overlooked CN when he already had him on campus before Tebow ever even started his first game. That was his next QB all along, not Brantley.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good move for both urbs & Texas.

Urban will recruit the state and take anyone he wants.
TX has the money to pay him.
He'll win immediately since the conference sucks.
TX will get a quality HC for the next 5 years, then he'll quit again.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Perhaps my point was lost in the post. Meyer didn’t choose Brantley. Not in recruiting, not from a roster management standpoint. He felt obligated to pursue him, and then(I believe) was helpless regarding CN, as his troubles sealed his fate, especially when you consider the name that was waiting in the wings. Brantley’s presence was the difference.

So it’s tough to say Meyer somehow overlooked CN when he already had him on campus before Tebow ever even started his first game. That was his next QB all along, not Brantley.

That ... and CN was a cheater and coward who ran from UF because he was about to get kicked out by the student honor board or whatever they are called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator