Gator Baseball 2021 Gators Baseball Season

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
We managed to take game 1, just barely, against the one of the 2 worst teams in the conference. They haven't posted the stats yet. Evidently we had 10 hits but not with men in scoring position except for the 4th and 9th innings. We still had 9 k's and only 2 walks. Auburn had 11 hits, 2 walks and 10 k's.

This team is just going to have to win however it can. It is not a good team and now it appears it is a 5 man pitching staff. Alemon and Scott on Fridays about a half game each, Mace on Saturday as far as he can go and hope we will have a big lead before he departs and Barco and Leftwich on Sundays, half game each. We can't score enough runs, even against and awful AU team to allow some of the younger pitchers to see the mound. With the way Scott was used on Friday maybe he can give an inning or 2 on Sunday and Leftwich can pitch either Saturday or Sunday.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
We managed to take game 1, just barely, against the one of the 2 worst teams in the conference. They haven't posted the stats yet. Evidently we had 10 hits but not with men in scoring position except for the 4th and 9th innings. We still had 9 k's and only 2 walks. Auburn had 11 hits, 2 walks and 10 k's.

Auburn gives us fits almost every year. They didn't pitch greenhill last night and he is not scheduled to start today, but, in a 0-1 loss against miss, he threw a scoreless game for 7 innings. The loss occurred in relief.

I must admit our 9th made up for some terrible play. Aleman who pitched 5 last night is coming along from the 6 walks in a little more than one inning of relief against Miami, but in that short relief he also had 3 SOs.

Bullag8r you are so right, we don't seem to be able to hit with men on. Home runs are great, but swinging for the fence when sometimes a single will score a rbi, is simply trying to do too much.

I must admit that I blame auburns 7th inning scoring on me; I don't know where my head was at the time, but without thinking, I stretched in the middle of the 7th. Thank goodness we won because I might have not been able to live with myself otherwise.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This team is just going to have to win however it can. It is not a good team and now it appears it is a 5 man pitching staff. Alemon and Scott on Fridays about a half game each, Mace on Saturday as far as he can go and hope we will have a big lead before he departs and Barco and Leftwich on Sundays, half game each. We can't score enough runs, even against and awful AU team to allow some of the younger pitchers to see the mound. With the way Scott was used on Friday maybe he can give an inning or 2 on Sunday and Leftwich can pitch either Saturday or Sunday.

Compromised pitching means they have to score more runs and to do that they have to hit the ball in the gaps to get on base and to advance runners. Fabian leads the team in home runs with 12 in 143 at bats. That is 1 HR for every 12 at bats. Only 5 HR's against conference opponents. He leads the team in K's with 52. More than twice as many as any other starter except McMullin with 33 k's. Fabian has 25 k's against conference teams. That is 1 strike out per 2.75 at bats. So it is 12 trips to the plate for every HR but less that 3 trips to the plate per K. His batting average is 252 which is next to last among starters. Is he playing for the contract or the win. I really do hope that I am wrong. Maybe one of you has a cherrier perspective and give me an attitude adjustment.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Why is it that our staff can't seem to through strikes when they need to? We go up 6-2 and then give 2 right back walking the no. 9 batter and then a shot down the line to score a run, then the error. Here's news flash....PITCH TO THE NO. 9 BATTER WITH 2 OUTS AND GET HIS ASS IN THE DUGOUT OR ON THE BAG IN 4 PITCHES OR LESS.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The Bad News Bears. A 6-2 lead now is a 10-6 deficit thru the team's own doings. With a 6-2 lead Mace (supposedly our best pitcher) has an 0-2 count on the AU lead off hitter (their best hitter). He hangs a meat ball curve that leads to a single and a run. Next guy gets a hit now it is 6-4/ Then to the 5th, Mace gives up lead off HR. Here comes Leftwich. A misplay in the infield, a 2 run homer to the next guy, then Leftwich hits a guy on a 1-2 pitch. Later in the inning a short fly into RF has 3 guys looking at each other while it drops in. This team is just not good. Regardless of record they are just plain bad.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
If we were hitting and fielding our pitching would not look so bad. But each time a player isn't in control in the box or screws up a play, he dooms his pitcher to more batters.

And, swinging for the fence may be a good idea with runners on, but we need to get runners on and there appears to be little desire to hit to the open spots.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I know that taking 2 of 3 in the SEC on the road is "good" but doing so against the worst team in the league, playing like shyt and blowing a 4 run lead in the game you lost makes it seem like a wasted opportunity.

So after the Game 2 debacle I turn on Game 3 late and we are "gifted" the lead b/c the AU pitcher can't throw the ball 10 feet to the catcher. So we head to the home half of the last inning with a 3 run lead. Scott walks the lead off hitter and develops a blister so he has to come out. Far be it from me to blame Sully as a shytty game manager (he is) and spare me the "he knows his players better than anyone", and his 5 man pitching staff is finished. the number 9 hitter is due up (left handed hitter) followed by the lead off guy and #2 hitter (AU's best, righty then lefty). so what does Sully do? He brings in Carrion to pitch to the left handed #9 hitter, after having a lefty (Van Der Wielde sp?) warming up in bullpen. Mind you Carrion is marginal at best as a pitcher and has been on the field for over 2 games, about 6 hours at SS all day and is a righty. Well Carrion proceeds to walk the #9 hitter bringing the potential tying run to the plate (potential winning run on deck). So NOW Sully goes to the pen and calls on the lefty. Why is world would you not have brought in a true pitcher who is a lefty, has been warming up, to pitch to a left handed #9 hitter? Thankfully Van Der wild retired the next 3 only allowing one inherited runner to cross home plate, but would it not have been better to bring Van Der Wilde in and not throw a spent Carrion out there to pitch to a lefty hitter?

A different animal this weekend with Vandy coming in with Rocker and Leiter. I expect our guys to ring up 10+ strikeouts offensively on both Friday and Saturday with ease.

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great write up by FF, its almost like every win this team gets is just fools gold and against top competition we will be in for a major hurting.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
What is the over~under on the number of Gator K's this weekend? I hope they prove me wrong but I'm thinking 30-38

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
That quite possibly might be the totals for just the first 2 games. I leaning towards taking the over :stirpot:

The elevated level of competition will most certainly light a fire which will either inspire them to greatness or consume them in apocalyptic flames. I hope it is the former and not the latter. Go Gators!!

It's either this :chomp: or this :couch:

If they play great and still lose, I can live with that and I tip my hat

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
The elevated level of competition will most certainly light a fire which will either inspire them to greatness or consume them in apocalyptic flames. I hope it is the former and not the latter. Go Gators!!

If they can't get up to play their best ball against an impressive vandy team; it will be ashame for the fans. We need to find that No 1 spirit that we gave up so easily early on. We took a series from the No. 3 rank team earlier; to do it again against the No. 2 team will give us back a lot of respect. All it will take is finding a way to put the bat on the ball and fielding well enough to keep our pitchers from throwing the lineup every inning.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah sweep coming, Gators with 15 strikeouts in this game! 14 games left including this one tonight and it looks like we will finish if we are lucky 4-10 which would put us on the bubble of a regional or possible just OUT and season over with to finish 32-22 and a huge collapse after being ranked #1 in the nation to begin the year. Sully's seat definitely VERY HOT right now and as most fans would say here that its time for a change and for him to go I guess. Gonna be very interesting if they give him another year but he won't last much longer as will either Mullen and MW. Has a university ever had their top 3 sports have openings at the same time cause that is what we are gearing up for here. Very interesting as to what direction the entire athletic department takes with so much uncertainly regarding our top sports.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
16 k's and 14 left on base in an 11-7 loss. Not a good start to the weekend. Lets hope for better tomorrow

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zero discipline at the plate. Terrible fielding. How are we #14?

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Sully should bring a notebook to class today and leave the dumbells at home. Bicep curls ain't gonna help when you are getting schooled in every aspect of the game, and I do mean EVERY aspect...small ball, long ball, base running, pitching..you name it. There isn't a single category of the game we match up with against Vandy. I've never seen anything like it. I get that we have alot of freshman on the field and they have at least 2 major league pitchers wasting time and money playing college ball but damn.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
The only positive is a negative; we actually had runners on base which is better than recent games. But we left them there and starting a game with 2 walks wasn't exactly a sterling achievement!

Spurdog98, I have not seen a game all season where small ball was a strategy. We cannot manufacture runs or bunt, and, even though we had base runners in this game, no-one was hitting for the open spaces. Swinging for the fence at every at-bat is no strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.