Votes: 105 64.4%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 58 35.6%

• Total voters

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
In other news, Scott Frost named a true freshman his starting QB. I'm curious how he would have handled the QB situation at UF (had he taken the job). I'm not sure why Mullen is being cute about naming a starter.....or it's just that bad.
1. Corral would have stuck and
2. Franks wouldn't have started.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
In other news, Scott Frost named a true freshman his starting QB. I'm curious how he would have handled the QB situation at UF (had he taken the job). I'm not sure why Mullen is being cute about naming a starter.....or it's just that bad.

I don’t think he’s being cute at all. I think he’s made it clear from the start that he wanted to get a starter named but they would have to earn it. If Franks is named the starter today as rumored and expected...Mullen would basically be on the same schedule as Frost.

It also doesn’t necessarily mean it’s “that bad”. It could be Trask has outperformed DM’s expectations to a degree that has made the decision more difficult. That would be a positive.

It is what it is....nobody is really expecting a star to be born until EJ is ready to be unleashed. Personally I would like to see all 3 in Games 1 and 3 and at least 2 of them in games 2 and 4. Then go with the best from game 5 on until EJ gets comfortable. However DM has said that he prefers to name 1 and ride that horse rather than get all 3 snaps. Mistake in my opinion.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think he’s being cute at all. I think he’s made it clear from the start that he wanted to get a starter named but they would have to earn it. If Franks is named the starter today as rumored and expected...Mullen would basically be in the same schedule as Frost.

It also doesn’t necessarily mean it’s “that bad”. It could be Trask has outperformed DM’s expectations to a degree that has made the decision more difficult. That would be a positive.

It is what it is....nobody is really expecting a star to be born until EJ is ready to be unleashed. Personally I would like to see all 3 in Games 1 and 3 and at least 2 of them in games 2 and 4. Then go with the best from game 5 on until EJ gets comfortable. However DM has said that he prefers to name 1 and ride that horse rather than get all 3 snaps. Mistake in my opinion.

Disagree. Brand new offense? Your starter needs the majority of 1st team snaps. This is the SEC. It's kill or be killed. There's no mercy. Pick someone and get him as prepared as possible. A revolving door at QB is a disaster waiting to happen.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree. Brand new offense? Your starter needs the majority of 1st team snaps. This is the SEC. It's kill or be killed. There's no mercy. Pick someone and get him as prepared as possible. A revolving door at QB is a disaster waiting to happen.

Franks is a disaster waiting to happen I am afraid.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
elopmEd

Exactly Mullen’s thinking I’m sure and plenty of logic attached to it. I just look at it differently....because it IS the SEC I don’t want Trask or EJ stepping on the field for the 1st time against a LSU or Georgia if Franks (assuming he is the starter) goes down with an injury. I don’t think giving up the 4th quarter against Charleston or Colorado State will hinder Franks development one iota. I would have Trask play the quarter with EJ having a series or two in both games. I would also have a couple series where Trask gets snaps against Kentucky and Tennessee. After that roll with the starter.

As you said the starter needs the “majority” of the snaps. I agree...but Trask and EJ ( one a HS backup the other coming from a tiny HS) need to get the jitters out and stare down some 300 pound linemen.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
elopmEd

Exactly Mullen’s thinking I’m sure and plenty of logic attached to it. I just look at it differently....because it IS the SEC I don’t want Trask or EJ stepping on the field for the 1st time against a LSU or Georgia if Franks (assuming he is the starter) goes down with an injury. I don’t think giving up the 4th quarter against Charleston or Colorado State will hinder Franks development one iota. I would have Trask play the quarter with EJ having a series or two in both games. I would also have a couple series where Trask gets snaps against Kentucky and Tennessee. After that roll with the starter.

As you said the starter needs the “majority” of the snaps. I agree...but Trask and EJ ( one a HS backup the other coming from a tiny HS) need to get the jitters out and stare down some 300 pound linemen.

So let me clarify, I agree with you about the other QBs getting mop up duty. Yeah, I'm always for that. I was specifically talking about practice. My bad. I think you pick a horse and ride him until there's a major problem.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
So let me clarify, I agree with you about the other QBs getting mop up duty. Yeah, I'm always for that. I was specifically talking about practice. My bad. I think you pick a horse and ride him until there's a major problem.

Well listening to the presser DM did say he would like to get all 3 out there on Saturday. Franks should get the bulk of the snaps but I really want to see Trask and EJ under the lights to at least get a glimpse of what they can offer.

I have a hunch that EJ may be a gamer. Maybe a little behind on grasping a college offense and all the nuances....but under the lights makes spectacular plays. At least I’m hoping.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I think he should play all three QBs in the first half with the 1’s, so we can all write on the message boards and tell DM who should be the starter

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Well listening to the presser DM did say he would like to get all 3 out there on Saturday. Franks should get the bulk of the snaps but I really want to see Trask and EJ under the lights to at least get a glimpse of what they can offer.

I am hopeful there will be the occasional blowout against the tomato cans on the schedule, allowing for backups at every position to get game reps. That happened seldom to never under the last two coaches. There have been precious few games that allowed for relaxation in the fourth quarter, no matter how weak the opposition. Would be great to be accused of running up the score again.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014

Do you really, honestly think you haven't made your position clear on this issue by now?

I find your expertise and insight to be compromised by your incessant, not-stop restating of the same sad narrative.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
All components coming together at UF this season are unknowns. No way can anyone tell how those ingredients will build together, bolster each other, or what development Mullen can bring to bear in molding all new components.??
Have no doubts, because we've got an HC who's greatest moments have been Gator moments, Mullen will be fully invested in "growing" this program into a championship program. At this point, everybody can only watch that success unfold. Right now, Mullen has been given no time at all for results. This historical Gator coach deserves that time to build success.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1. Corral would have stuck and
2. Franks wouldn't have started.
:headslap:

OMG.

Say it with me people: OPTION. Mullinz runs the option. Frost runs the option. Option coaches recruit option QBs.

Corral wasnt going to the run the option and if he did he would SUCK at it. Grier, ditto.

Sometimes I wonder about people. It is like youve never watched football or dont remember what Mullinball is.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
So I guess the question becomes who comes in next, EJ or Trask? I think EJ would get the nod due to overall speed at playing the position, and then Trask comes in beginning of the 4th if game is out of hand and splits time with EJ.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
:headslap:

OMG.

Say it with me people: OPTION. Mullinz runs the option. Frost runs the option. Option coaches recruit option QBs.

Corral wasnt going to the run the option and if he did he would SUCK at it. Grier, ditto.

Sometimes I wonder about people. It is like youve never watched football or dont remember what Mullinball is.
Maybe we're just trying to forget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator