3 Negatives from UF Spring Practice (Ackerman)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That OL is definitely a concern. But I think we'll be fine at LB and WR. Hopefully the Calloway thing will be cleared up soon...

https://gridironnow.com/florida-negatives-spring-practice/

1. The offensive line isn’t set. I think this group has improved from last fall. LT David Sharpe had a really good spring, as did G Tyler Jordan. Martez Ivey did not go through spring ball, and whether he moves from guard to right tackle remains to be seen. And that’s just one of the questions. Is junior Cam Dillard ready to lock down the center spot or did redshirt freshman T.J. McCoy throw his name in the ring? G Antonio Riles looks much better than a season ago, but is he good enough to allow Ivey to move to tackle? And if Ivey moves to tackle, what happens with T Fred Johnson, who has tremendous upside? How will it all shake out? The good news is coaches have plenty of players with which to work, and everyone is familiar with the offensive system.

2. Depth is a major concern at linebacker. If Alex Anzalone stays healthy, he and Jarrad Davis could form the best combo in the league. The injury-prone Anzalone is a tough guy who can really play, but sometimes the football gods are against you. The Gators are hoping his bad injury luck is behind him. Although redshirt freshman Kylan Johnson, a converted safety, played well in the spring game, there is no proven depth. Florida has to get something out of senior Daniel McMillan, junior Matt Rolin and redshirt freshman Rayshad Jackson this season. Marcell Harris is a strong safety who could play in the box – and he might have to this fall.

3. Which wide receiver can take the top off a defense? I like the future of this group and, like coach Jim McElwain, I am excited about the incoming freshman. But this group needs a leader and someone who can take the top off a defense. That guy is not with the team right now, and we don’t know if Antonio Callaway will be back in the fall. This spring, the group as a whole made some big plays and progressed, but the home-run threat was not there on a consistent basis. Callaway proved last season that an incoming freshman could be the guy and maybe Tyrie Cleveland will step in and fill that void. As we enter the summer, the Gators still are looking to determine a top five. JC transfer Dre Massey has been a legitimate addition as a slot receiver, and the tight ends had a great spring. But Florida needs its exterior guys to step up and strike fear into opposing defenses.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing. Pretty much what many of us already know.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Not exactly negatives. There's room for optimism. Yes, I'm a pumper.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Riles has no business being on the field. None whatsoever.

After a year in the system, things are still moving too fast for Jackson. Unless that changes, he doesn't need to be on the field.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Riles has no business being on the field. None whatsoever.

After a year in the system, things are still moving too fast for Jackson. Unless that changes, he doesn't need to be on the field.

I agree on Riles, but Jackson is a redshirt freshman....I'm willing to give him a chance. Hopefully he at least gets in on special teams.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I agree on Riles, but Jackson is a redshirt freshman....I'm willing to give him a chance. Hopefully he at least gets in on special teams.

I'm not saying to give up on Jackson. He just isn't ready. He reacts very slowly. Maybe he just had a bad day in the spring game but I doubt it.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Geez. McMillian is a senior? He's the Debose of the defense. But even less of an impact.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Geez. McMillian is a senior? He's the Debose of the defense. But even less of an impact.

I thought he was gonna be our best LB in that class. Thank goodness Davis worked his butt off.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Thanks for the post, BMF. I am tired of all the negativity that has surrounded UF football the past several years; but I suppose, as fans, we must look at things with a realistic attitude.

Perhaps we'll learn a lot more about this team this fall--we might just be a little better than anyone expects. We'll see. But I'm going to stay on the positive side--I think that we're going to surprise some folks.

:chomp:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks for the post, BMF. I am tired of all the negativity that has surrounded UF football the past several years; but I suppose, as fans, we must look at things with a realistic attitude.

Perhaps we'll learn a lot more about this team this fall--we might just be a little better than anyone expects. We'll see. But I'm going to stay on the positive side--I think that we're going to surprise some folks.

:chomp:
We have the potential to be pretty good and a lot better than some think going into next season. If we have even an average QB and don't get racked with injuries at the thin areas we'll repeat as East Champs IMO. I'm actually kinda excited about our WR group next year. One guy everyone is forgetting about is B. Powell. Before he got injured last year he was very reliable and made some big plays. If Calloway comes back and Powell is healthy along with the incoming guys we could have the best WR's in the conference as a whole. That in itself is a far cry from the last 5 or 6 years.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Do we have a trigger hell bent on getting the ball to the play makers? The make it happen magic... I hope so.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We have the potential to be pretty good and a lot better than some think going into next season. If we have even an average QB and don't get racked with injuries at the thin areas we'll repeat as East Champs IMO. I'm actually kinda excited about our WR group next year. One guy everyone is forgetting about is B. Powell. Before he got injured last year he was very reliable and made some big plays. If Calloway comes back and Powell is healthy along with the incoming guys we could have the best WR's in the conference as a whole. That in itself is a far cry from the last 5 or 6 years.

There is no reason to think that we cannot do exactly this. IMO offensively we are light years ahead of this time last year. We improved overnight when Freon was removed as a QB. Line is more experienced, more depth, etc. RB's look promising. Sure we have some concerns here and there but nothing that cannot be taken care of.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

It will probably come down to whether we can produce a decent push for a good run game. We adjusted and overcame that early last season but I dont think the offense would hold up too well later in the season if that isn't much improved. Hopefully the O line gets a lot better push this season.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
It will probably come down to whether we can produce a decent push for a good run game. We adjusted and overcame that early last season but I dont think the offense would hold up too well later in the season if that isn't much improved. Hopefully the O line gets a lot better push this season.

It is difficult for any offensive line to create running lanes in a defense that does not respect the passing game as was the case last year post-Grier. Vastly improved QB play, greater line depth and experience, and more options at receiver and running back should be the basis of your hope for a good run game.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It is difficult for any offensive line to create running lanes in a defense that does not respect the passing game as was the case last year post-Grier. Vastly improved QB play, greater line depth and experience, and more options at receiver and running back should be the basis of your hope for a good run game.
On paper we have more skill position talent than we've had in a while, numbers speak well for the offensive line although most of those numbers need experience. Qb to me is the big question. I'm hoping that whoever starts, most likely LDR, doesn't get injured, but at least if they do we're in much better shape than last year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Agreed about the run game.....however I have a sneaky feeling Mac comes out with a hot short passing game to help loosen things up for the ground attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator