Recruiting 3 Star DB/ATH Aaron Robinson commits

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n232471 said:
I did chuckle. Not to devolve the thread but this is a result of letting the puss in the muschamp wound fester a year too long. Assuming that the BS of firing a coach too soon is slightly true(it's not)....which is worse - letting a garbage coach ruin your brand for an extra year or deal with the consequences of firing a coach a year early at one of the best coaching jobs in the universe....

So which is worse?

There's no doubt he waited too long, but what's done is done. I'm sure he'd do it differently if he had to do it over again. I say let's just enjoy the improvements we see the next 2 years and know that WM is no longer here. I really think Mac has what it takes to get us back to the top tier in the SEC, he's just not going to do it overnight.

By by the way, the brand is not ruined. It's been damaged, but calling it ruined implies it's not fixable. That's simply not the case.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n232423 said:
If you go back and look at some of the Pros/Cons articles during the beginning stages of our coaching search, they typically pointed to JM's lack of ties to the SE and Florida and had questions about his ability to recruit. I really thought his resume of guys like Julio Jones, IMark Ingram and Trent Richardson would do wonders on the recruiting trail. But apparently some of those concerns were valid. I don't think it means he won't ever be a lights-out recruiter. I just think he's going to have to prove it on the field a lot more than some other coaches. It doesn't help that we allowed the State to become completely locked down by our biggest rival and lost ground in GA as well. He's got a lot of work cut out for him and we're going to have to be patient in that area. Hopefully we make a big splash on the field and that shifts things back our way a bit.
First of all I hate you because you have more likes than me with damn near a fifth of the post I have. Second of all good point on everything you posted. And let's be honest, the guy sounds goofy as hell when he talks. It's gonna take some serious improvements on the field.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n232484 said:
There's no doubt he waited too long, but what's done is done. I'm sure he'd do it differently if he had to do it over again. I say let's just enjoy the improvements we see the next 2 years and know that WM is no longer here. I really think Mac has what it takes to get us back to the top tier in the SEC, he's just not going to do it overnight.

By by the way, the brand is not ruined. It's been damaged, but calling it ruined implies it's not fixable. That's simply not the case.

Semantics. It is fixable. You might not see the improvements you are looking for right away though. We're probably going to look rough this year and the problem is we need to look like a winner again so we can get the recruits to look good next year and so on and so forth. It's tougher than you think to get out of this rut.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;232489 said:
Semantics. It is fixable. You might not see the improvements you are looking for right away though. We're probably going to look rough this year and the problem is we need to look like a winner again so we can get the recruits to look good next year and so on and so forth. It's tougher than you think to get out of this rut.

Why in bold? I feel violated.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n232487 said:
First of all I hate you because you have more likes than me with damn near a fifth of the post I have. Second of all good point on everything you posted. And let's be honest, the guy sounds goofy as hell when he talks. It's gonna take some serious improvements on the field.

Yikes. Even t noticed.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n232489 said:

I'm not all doom and gloom on the recruiting front. I think it'll pick up and we'll end up having a solid class this year. Mac and Co. did a heckuva job in a short time this past cycle. Next year's class should be back to what we have all come to expect in regards to in-state talent. I'm also starting to get a bit more optimistic about our offensive improvement this year with the JUCOs we've been able to land. Much needed depth on the OL.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n232511 said:
I'm not all doom and gloom on the recruiting front. I think it'll pick up and we'll end up having a solid class this year. Mac and Co. did a heckuva job in a short time this past cycle. Next year's class should be back to what we have all come to expect in regards to in-state talent. I'm also starting to get a bit more optimistic about our offensive improvement this year with the JUCOs we've been able to land. Much needed depth on the OL.

It's not doom and gloom yet? But if we are counting on "looking good" during the season to help in recruiting...I think that's bad.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n232522 said:
It's not doom and gloom yet? But if we are counting on "looking good" during the season to help in recruiting...I think that's bad.

We all knew we'd have show improvement to turn this around, so what exactly is new or different?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
T REX;n232522 said:

Ftr, if you look at Meyer's first (2006) class, there are only about 6 players that committed before the season started. And for the most part they weren't the stars of that great class: Markihe Anderson, Corey Hobbs, Dustin Doe, Carl Johnson, Chevon Walker and Terron Sanders.

The big names started trickling in around November. So while I'm not dismissing any concern, those recruiting weekends with a big game at home absolutely impact recruiting. And it's not as if we were lighting the world on fire in that 2005 season. It was simply improvement and a sign that better days were ahead.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n232511 said:

WHAT jucos?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n232554 said:
Ftr, if you look at Meyer's first (2006) class, there are only about 6 players that committed before the season started. And for the most part they weren't the stars of that great class: Markihe Anderson, Corey Hobbs, Dustin Doe, Carl Johnson, Chevon Walker and Terron Sanders.

The big names started trickling in around November. So while I'm not dismissing any concern, those recruiting weekends with a big game at home absolutely impact recruiting. And it's not as if we were lighting the world on fire in that 2005 season. It was simply improvement and a sign that better days were ahead.

Ok. I don't think it's fair to compare a HOF coach and his crew to Coach Mac. The state of the programs were vastly different...or should I say perceptions were massively different. No need to argue about it. I'll concede.

:surrender:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n232554 said:

Yep, we lost only at 'Bama, at LSU and at USCe that year....turrible just turrible

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n232554 said:

Thank you for the reminder but frankly there is zero chance we have a 9-3 season and a win over the Semenholes to win the state title like we did in 2005 .

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
TLB;n232267 said:
/points to scoreboard :headshake:

images

========================

Law98gator;n232697 said:
Thank you for the reminder but frankly there is zero chance we have a 9-3 season and a win over the Semenholes to win the state title like we did in 2005 .

I never speak in absolutes, there is ALWAYS a chance. And as much as our OL is an unknown (likewise for the rest of our offense), it means the opposition also has no clue. Maybe JMac can work miracles...or at least perform thaumaturgy (just found that word, had to use it) enough to win more than we expect...maybe even 9 wins and an upset of FSU.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n232928 said:
We could shock the world if Mac can get a O line transferred in.

And it looks like that's exactly what he's trying to do.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
TLB;n232883 said:
images

========================

I never speak in absolutes, there is ALWAYS a chance. And as much as our OL is an unknown (likewise for the rest of our offense), it means the opposition also has no clue. Maybe JMac can work miracles...or at least perform thaumaturgy (just found that word, had to use it) enough to win more than we expect...maybe even 9 wins and an upset of FSU.

So JMac is a magician or a saint... :scratchchin:

I like that!

IGTBAFG

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
LagoonGator68;n232631 said:
Yep, we lost only at 'Bama, at LSU and at USCe that year....turrible just turrible

:lol: I wasn't saying we were terrible, just that we weren't lighting the world on fire. For the most part we were pretty dysfunctional on offense up until the fsu game. Blown out in Tuscaloosa, scored 1 TD against a 5-6 ut team, 2 against uga, looked pretty blahh against Wyoming and Msu, and needed a miracle finish to best Vanderbilt in OT at home. Really good season, and I loved some of those gritty players like Brown and Mincey. But we were fairly pedestrian for much of that year. The point I was making was that 80% of our class, and virtually ever big name, came in toward the end of the season. Not saying that exact scenario will play out here, but clearly even Meyer needed some time to establish relationships and prove himself on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator