300-pound Kerwin Bell named USF OC

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
My biggest issue with Bell isn't his weight, it's his perceived arrogance. What I mean is, he could have been a head coach at a decent program by now if he'd just worked his way up through the ranks like everyone else. Instead, he wanted to stay the head guy at a high school program and turned his nose up at "lesser" assistant positions at real schools.

Not sure what changed, but good to see him finally take a real job - now maybe we can see what he's made of. He should have taken a job like this at least 5 years ago, maybe even 10.

I believe he wanted to stay where his son was playing, I could be wrong.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
There are no words for this. Imagine how many young guys he lead, and made positive impacts in their lives. I know an accountant cant put that in his balance sheet but it is real. He was probably doing something he loved. Making enough to live decently. He gets it my friend. You grow up in Mayo or nearby you understand what is important in life. It aint always bigger and better and more $$$ and fame. What he is MADE of is what more men need to be made of. Character and a work ethic.
NOW THE REAL REASON I came back. This is what age can do to you. I spent time with Kerwin in the early 90s. A close friend of mine arranged for Kerwin to speak to inmates up at Raiford. He knew my love for all things orange and blue and asked me to drive. So in my 1984 Ford Granada with Kerwin in the front seat we had a long talk going to and from Raiford that night. Nice old country boy. The inmates many UM fans (no surprise there) gave him some sht but he just smiled and gave them his speech about life and how to turn it around. Watching Kerwin and Ricky Nattiel (both small town kids) whip that jawja ass almost sustained me till SOS arrived in the 90s. Kerwin will always be a gator great and good man.
This is the most embarrassing post you've ever made. You could not have twisted or missed what I was saying more than you did.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kosar - and an excellent TE whose name escapes me.
Willie Smith.

Eddie Brown caught the game winner with six seconds left. Only game we lost that season.

You play that game two months later and Florida probably crushes Miami. We kept building momentum all season long.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
This is the most embarrassing post you've ever made. You could not have twisted or missed what I was saying more than you did.

but good to see him finally take a real job - now maybe we can see what he's made of.
........Embarrassed is the last thing I am. I figured you were finally too embarrassed to reply. btw I that is almost your standard reply to me when it gets deep. 1. happy that Kerwin finally left that demeaning job in div 3 or whatever it is and now he can show us he is a real man at the D1 level. 2. I hope this gator great who we all admire and believe in can show his skills in D1 football and make us all proud.
Or none of the above. I didnt twist any words at all.

50000875_232989317628417_1067305291520933888_n.png
with words........

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
........Embarrassed is the last thing I am. I figured you were finally too embarrassed to reply. btw I that is almost your standard reply to me when it gets deep. 1. happy that Kerwin finally left that demeaning job in div 3 or whatever it is and now he can show us he is a real man at the D1 level. 2. I hope this gator great who we all admire and believe in can show his skills in D1 football and make us all proud.
Or none of the above. I didnt twist any words at all.

50000875_232989317628417_1067305291520933888_n.png
with words........
I stand by every word I said - Valdosta State is not a real football job. It has nothing to do with his character and the young men he's influencing, so save your sanctimonious sermon for some other poor bastard.

I thought we were talking about football here, not a wonderful plot for a movie on Lifetime.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I stand by every word I said - Valdosta State is not a real football job. It has nothing to do with his character and the young men he's influencing, so save your sanctimonious sermon for some other poor bastard.

I thought we were talking about football here, not a wonderful plot for a movie on Lifetime.
Did Kerwin steal all of your candy when you were growing up in Gainesville? You were probably in high school and he was at Florida, right ? :bwahaha:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did Kerwin steal all of your candy when you were growing up in Gainesville? You were probably in high school and he was at Florida, right ? :bwahaha:

I remember Kerwin coming around to our school when I was in 3/4th grades. Telling us the importance of a good education and signing all of our stuff. Maybe he did steal Ox's candy. Every interaction I've had with Kerwin or his family has always been pleasant. It's like Kerwin turned down Ox's suggestion to go on a cruise.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I attended high school from 1990-94. In 1994, sophomore Doug Johnson was our quarterback at Buchholz.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I think in the NFL when Kerwin scored & spiked that ball, it bounced up and hit ox in the head.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Actually a lot. SEC titles in 1984 and 1985 that were negated by probation. The 1984 team may have been the best in America. These were great UF teams.

Kerwin was a great UF quarterback who unfortunately for him came to UF at possibly the wrong time. Or the right time depending on your perspective.

Dude was clutch.
78 is right on.
I was traveling back into this weekend's little snow storm we had in the Commonwealth and missed Ox's question. Two SEC championships won on the field, and taken away by the NCAA and the SEC butt lickers. The 84 team was one of the best we ever had, and same with the 85 team. Got to see them beat Vinny, Jimmy and the Canes in the Orange Bowl 85 opener. That was sweet. The tie with Rutgers was crazy ,and if I recall we had a 28-7 lead late and Hall pulled Bell for Brewer. The wheels came off.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
78 is right on.
I was traveling back into this weekend's little snow storm we had in the Commonwealth and missed Ox's question. Two SEC championships won on the field, and taken away by the NCAA and the SEC butt lickers. The 84 team was one of the best we ever had, and same with the 85 team. Got to see them beat Vinny, Jimmy and the Canes in the Orange Bowl 85 opener. That was sweet. The tie with Rutgers was crazy ,and if I recall we had a 28-7 lead late and Hall pulled Bell for Brewer. The wheels came off.
So no one really answered the question. The answer is none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator