300-pound Kerwin Bell named USF OC

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
The 20%.............like some other guy pulling all kinds of numbers out of his assss/

Get back to me when it reaches the level spewed at the former first lady and to be truthful not much worse from me than from own his staff and many fellow pubs...........(note to ox, I didnt start this politicl bllsht but did reply)

Be more specific...are you referring to Moochelle or Cankles?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
:shocked3:...........but change can be a good thing........people that fear it struggle. Me included.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

You know Foley was chief of "don't count 84".

Ox = Is that Dennis Franz on the right?
Well a robbery was committed.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Is that Dennis Franz on the right?

:eek3:

Galen Hall installed a conventional I-formation offense at Florida under head coach Charley Pell for the 1984 season. However, between the third and fourth games, Pell was fired after an NCAA investigation alleged 107 violations of NCAA rules. Hall, who had not been at Florida when the violations occurred between 1979 and 1983, was made the interim head coach by athletic director Bill Carr.

The Gators won the remaining eight games on their schedule under Hall, including big wins over arch-rivals Georgia, Auburn, and Florida State, and finished with a 9–1–1 record. By virtue of an undefeated 5–0–1 conference record, Florida won its first-ever Southeastern Conference (SEC) football championship. The team finished the season ranked No. 3 in the AP poll, the team's highest ever ranking up to that time. However, the SEC refused to allow the Gators to play in the Sugar Bowl; LSU went in their place (and lost to Nebraska 28 - 10). Two weeks after the end of the season, the NCAA slapped the Gators with two years' probation (a third year was later suspended) and banned them from bowl games and live television in 1985 and 1986. The most damaging sanction in the long run, however, was a limit of 20 new scholarships in 1985 and 1986, and a reduction to 85 total scholarships in 1985 and 75 in 1986. Nonetheless, the Gators were crowned national champions by several minor polls, including that of The New York Times. Hall was named the Associated Press Coach of the Year and university president Marshall Criser named him the permanent head coach at the end of the season.

On May 30, 1985, the SEC university presidents voted 6–4 to vacate Florida's 1984 SEC title and make the team ineligible for the conference title during the upcoming 1985 and 1986 seasons because of the rule violations committed under Pell, overturning an executive committee ruling that allowed the Gators to keep their 1984 title. The decision drew much anger from Criser and Gator players and fans due to its retroactive nature.

Despite the sanctions, Hall's 1985 Gators would again go 9–1–1 on the field and tie (w/Tenn of whom UF beat 17 - 10 earlier in the year and TN had two ties!) for the SEC lead with a 5–1 conference record, but could not claim the conference title because of NCAA and SEC probation.

The 1984 and 1985 seasons are remembered as "Best in the SEC" years for Florida football. However, Hall's subsequent Gators teams were hamstrung by the severe sanctions imposed for violations under Pell, including scholarship restrictions that severely limited the team's number of scholarship players. Hall's first two recruiting classes only had 25 players.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Believe it or not, my first Gator game was under Hall - opening game 1989 against Ole Miss.

It wasn’t a good season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Just who have you become?

First, you denigrate Bell, then UFs accomplishments, then Pell and Galen Hall and now you're being nice?

What's your age, maybe your going through "the change "?
You have to admit he looks like Dennis Franz there.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
:eek3:

On May 30, 1985, the SEC university presidents voted 6–4 to vacate Florida's 1984 SEC title and make the team ineligible for the conference title during the upcoming 1985 and 1986 seasons because of the rule violations committed under Pell, overturning an executive committee ruling that allowed the Gators to keep their 1984 title. The decision drew much anger from Criser and Gator players and fans due to its retroactive nature.

And it was Doug Dickey, who was now at Tennessee who pushed to strip the SEC Title from UF.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
If true, he was a half step behind butt-sniffing dooley.

It was Vandy, UK, LSU, UT, UGA and one other but Dooley and Dickey who really pushed it. I heard Dickey was the deciding vote.

Bama was on our side. Even the NCAA was ok with it if we did not play in the Sugar.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just a reminder, much later, wasn't Pell interrupted from committing suicide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.