300-pound Kerwin Bell named USF OC

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I think 1991...he struggled with depression

It was very sad. Pell was vilified. He built UF into a respectable program.
The facilities were a joke before him.

And then, no one would touch him.

To this day, the 84-85 OL may be considered the BEST UF has ever had..."The GREAT Wall of Florida"

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
It was Vandy, UK, LSU, UT, UGA and one other but Dooley and Dickey who really pushed it. I heard Dickey was the deciding vote.

Bama was on our side. Even the NCAA was ok with it if we did not play in the Sugar.

Yep.

Per The Times - Daily, "SEC Commissioner Boyd McWhorter did not release a breakdown of the voting but it was believed that Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, LSU and Georgia banded together to strip the crown."

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Yep.

Per The Times - Daily, "SEC Commissioner Boyd McWhorter did not release a breakdown of the voting but it was believed that Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, LSU and Georgia banded together to strip the crown."
Dickey had a grudge, LSU played instead of UF, Doley was Doley.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I had one of those sec champs tags on the front of my truck a couple years back and it got ripped off my truck at the mall in Valdosta.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
The SEC also asked the players to return their 84 rings. The story goes that Lomas Brown said if they want my ring back they know where to find me. Obviously no one took him up on that and he still has his ring. I doubt that the SEC got many back. Also heard that we still have the trophy stashed away some where in the bowels of the athletic building. Interesting 1985 story below from the Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel .

The 1984 Southeastern Conference football trophy in a glass case outside the University of Florida football offices disappeared over the holiday weekend.

"It's somewhere around here, collecting cobwebs," said Florida assistant athletic director Norm Carlson. "I went up to Florida coach) Galen Hall and asked him if he knew where it was and he said, 'No, do you?' "

Carlson said the consensus around the athletic offices Monday was the cleaning crew locked it away someplace safe because of the three-day holiday weekend.

"Maybe the SEC rep came to get it when no one was here," joked a Gator official.

NCAA probation for recruiting violations, the trophy remained in their possession -- until this weekend.

SEC Commissioner Boyd McWhorter said from Birmingham, Ala., unless he hears otherwise, the conference won't be asking for it back.

"The trophy to me, as I've said all along, is symbolic," McWhorter said. "The official records show we have no conference champion for 1984, that the title was vacated. Any trophy to the contrary, notwithstanding, doesn't mean anything."

But to the Gators it means everything. "SEC Champs," is posted on T-shirts, cups, mugs, license plate frames and posters in the campus bookstore and around town. The trophy is pictured on the cover of the Gators' 1985 media guide. In the Gator Bait 1985 Football Yearbook, several references are made to the "1984 SEC title," the Gators' "first-ever league championship" and "last year's title-winning season."

Sugar Bowl because of pending NCAA sanctions. The football program was placed on a two- year probation that mandates no television or bowl appearances and the loss of 10 scholarships a year for two years.

In April the SEC Executive Committee voted to allow Florida to keep the SEC title. However, SEC presidents on May 29 voted 6-4 to take it away.

Florida President Marshall Criser said the school would not give up the 1984 SEC championship.

"By any standard of fairness, and in our hearts, 1984 will always be the Year of the Gator," Criser said. "As a university we shall continue to proclaim the 1984 team as SEC football champions."

The flow of traffic is light through the football coaches' office. Only coaches, players, sports writers and a few student aides walk by the trophy on a daily basis.

"We don't acknowledge the title was ever taken away from us," said senior tight end Tom Peddie of Hollywood. "We don't care what other people are saying. I've got my SEC Champs plate on the front of my car.

"It doesn't matter what anyone says because everyone knows what the real truth is. The bureaucrats can do what they want. They've never taken a snap, they've never been on the field. It's just all political. We won it on the field and no one can take that away from us ever."

Hall said adversity was what molded the Gators last season.

"The SEC's decision did nothing to change the way I feel about the '84 Gator team," Hall said. "I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the '84 team was, in my opinion, the finest in the nation, and they performed superbly on the field, and that's where games and championships are won."

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I had one of those sec champs tags on the front of my truck a couple years back and it got ripped off my truck at the mall in Valdosta.

I don't know why but it makes me mad someone from here took your tag. Guess I've been here too long now, but that's embarrassing. FWIW, I've got a Gator tag on the front of my truck that is held on by a U of F / Air Force bracket and it only gets love bugs on it.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I don't know why but it makes me mad someone from here took your tag. Guess I've been here too long now, but that's embarrassing. FWIW, I've got a Gator tag on the front of my truck that is held on by a U of F / Air Force bracket and it only gets love bugs on it.

I always have a gator tag on my truck. That was the tag for the disputed SEC championship and obviously it offended someone. I haven't looked but I doubt I could find another one. I had it for years prior to putting on my truck.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The SEC also asked the players to return their 84 rings. The story goes that Lomas Brown said if they want my ring back they know where to find me. Obviously no one took him up on that and he still has his ring. I doubt that the SEC got many back. Also heard that we still have the trophy stashed away some where in the bowels of the athletic building. Interesting 1985 story below from the Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel .

The 1984 Southeastern Conference football trophy in a glass case outside the University of Florida football offices disappeared over the holiday weekend.

"It's somewhere around here, collecting cobwebs," said Florida assistant athletic director Norm Carlson. "I went up to Florida coach) Galen Hall and asked him if he knew where it was and he said, 'No, do you?' "

Carlson said the consensus around the athletic offices Monday was the cleaning crew locked it away someplace safe because of the three-day holiday weekend.

"Maybe the SEC rep came to get it when no one was here," joked a Gator official.

NCAA probation for recruiting violations, the trophy remained in their possession -- until this weekend.

SEC Commissioner Boyd McWhorter said from Birmingham, Ala., unless he hears otherwise, the conference won't be asking for it back.

"The trophy to me, as I've said all along, is symbolic," McWhorter said. "The official records show we have no conference champion for 1984, that the title was vacated. Any trophy to the contrary, notwithstanding, doesn't mean anything."

But to the Gators it means everything. "SEC Champs," is posted on T-shirts, cups, mugs, license plate frames and posters in the campus bookstore and around town. The trophy is pictured on the cover of the Gators' 1985 media guide. In the Gator Bait 1985 Football Yearbook, several references are made to the "1984 SEC title," the Gators' "first-ever league championship" and "last year's title-winning season."

Sugar Bowl because of pending NCAA sanctions. The football program was placed on a two- year probation that mandates no television or bowl appearances and the loss of 10 scholarships a year for two years.

In April the SEC Executive Committee voted to allow Florida to keep the SEC title. However, SEC presidents on May 29 voted 6-4 to take it away.

Florida President Marshall Criser said the school would not give up the 1984 SEC championship.

"By any standard of fairness, and in our hearts, 1984 will always be the Year of the Gator," Criser said. "As a university we shall continue to proclaim the 1984 team as SEC football champions."

The flow of traffic is light through the football coaches' office. Only coaches, players, sports writers and a few student aides walk by the trophy on a daily basis.

"We don't acknowledge the title was ever taken away from us," said senior tight end Tom Peddie of Hollywood. "We don't care what other people are saying. I've got my SEC Champs plate on the front of my car.

"It doesn't matter what anyone says because everyone knows what the real truth is. The bureaucrats can do what they want. They've never taken a snap, they've never been on the field. It's just all political. We won it on the field and no one can take that away from us ever."

Hall said adversity was what molded the Gators last season.

"The SEC's decision did nothing to change the way I feel about the '84 Gator team," Hall said. "I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the '84 team was, in my opinion, the finest in the nation, and they performed superbly on the field, and that's where games and championships are won."

I have a picture with the '84 trophy when I was at Football camp in '85 or '86.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, a big phat phuck you to Vince Dooley for being the little punk he was.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
After the vote in May 85 many Gators , me included were pissed at Criser and thought that he should have taken a stronger position with the SEC and the presidents, to prevent the vote. Maybe he did, but it just seemed like we never should have let it happen. At least he never gave back the trophy, and it sounds like that the SEC knew not to push the issue. Regarding Fuchs my guess is that he would give every piece of hardware back to the SEC, and apologize to all the teams we beat.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Which is why we should start claiming the title, displaying the trophy and tell the SEC to kiss off.

I happen to agree with you.

But if anybody here feels like this is petty then tell them that Foley was a big proponent of NOT including it. Which I hear is true. Then they'll jump at the chance to support this. :grin:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I stand by every word I said - Valdosta State is not a real football job. It has nothing to do with his character and the young men he's influencing, so save your sanctimonious sermon for some other poor bastard.

I thought we were talking about football here, not a wonderful plot for a movie on Lifetime.
I'll admit, I laughed out loud :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator