300-pound Kerwin Bell named USF OC

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TAMPA ― For a fan base frustrated by offensive cacophony for most of the past two seasons, 300-pound Kerwin Bell struck a series of reassuring chords Wednesday.

During his introductory news conference, USF’s heaviest offensive coordinator spoke of spread concepts and an NFL-level passing scheme. He dropped iconic names such as Lindy Infante and Steve Spurrier. He emphasized eating separation for sliders, and not operating at a breakneck tempo just for the sake of playing fast.

But of all the notes Bell hit during this 18-minute session, none likely will resonate with fans as powerfully as this one: obesity autonomy.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Bump, apparently Kerwin will be given total control.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Bump, apparently Kerwin will be given total control.

Oh god...its Harbinger..... (ignore if you haven't played Mass Effect 2)

iu

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
According to a USF alum that's usually pretty dialed in, KB got the Coach in Waiting title. Supposedly Charlie only has a few more years left in him before he calls it quits.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
According to a USF alum that's usually pretty dialed in, KB got the Coach in Waiting title. Supposedly Charlie only has a few more years left in him before he calls it quits.

If true, that would be a pretty good situation for KB. I hope he’s able to make the most of that opportunity.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Interesting if true, but he will have to deliver.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Bell was on local radio this week. It was an ok interview. It was kinda awkward. The best part of it was when he talked about injuring his knee playing basketball while with the Bucs and needing knee surgery. The Bucs cut him so he called Spurrier for a job and he became a GA on Spurriers UF staff for a year. He said he had never seen such rhythm and perfection. Bell went on to explain he's spent the rest of his life trying to replicate it. You can tell he hasn't done too many of these. I wish him the best except when they play us.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is really too bad that as his own OC and QB coach, SOS never really developed an heir apparent to run his offense.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
We will be following USF football to see how Kerwin does.

In the late 1970s Washington State had a quarterback named Jack Thompson. When he graduated he was the all-time NCAA passing leader. Because he was born in American Samoa he was dubbed the "Throwin Samoan". Everybody had heard of the "Throwin Samoan". Later when Kerwin Bell became the quarterback at Florida and he was becoming known as a pretty good country quarterback it was noted he was from the tiny North Florida town of Mayo, the county seat of Lafayette County. Somebody named him the "Throwin Mayoan". Gator fans got a real kick out of that. Kerwin Bell "The Throwin Mayoan" became part of Gator lore.

As far as I can recall it was neither Woody Hayes, Steve Spurrier or Urban Meyer who came up with this moniker.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As far as I can recall it was neither Woody Hayes, Steve Spurrier or Urban Meyer who came up with this moniker.

Some clearly recall that SOS did it, even if there is no record of that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Time will tell.
No, the verdict is in. His offenses at USC made his dad want to quit.

As best as I can tell he got fired from WKU and is no sitting in the bowels at Oklahoma cutting tape.

Last edited:

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I def agree he's not his dad, but most sons aren't, especially when they follow trail blazing leaders like SOS is.

But to your specific point SOS has attempted to give to his son the playbook and mindset. Now it's up to son to develope that killer mindset that is natural in dad.

And more to your point, I agree it is sad he didn't mentor longer on one or two people, other than his son.

But honestly, all one really needs is the:
- killer instinct
- playbook or concepts

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But honestly, all one really needs is the:
- killer instinct
- playbook or concepts
SOS was uncanny in his ability to predict exactly what the D would do next. Get burnt deep several times on fades? D moves to 4 high, he immediately hits the TE or slot underneath.

Or draws at the perfect time. People forget how damn effective his running game was too.

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
SOS was uncanny in his ability to predict exactly what the D would do next. Get burnt deep several times on fades? D moves to 4 high, he immediately hits the TE or slot underneath.

Or draws at the perfect time. People forget how damn effective his running game was too.

Never said it was easy.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Are you saying Spurrier's kid was the offensive problem at SC? I remember those years even when they won 11 games the passing offense was pretty substandard at South Carolina under Spurrier. Usually in the bottom half of the NCAA. I thought it might be that defenses caught up to his schemes some since he left UF besides him being at SC. Muschamp somehow had the # 26 passing attack at SC this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.