300-pound Kerwin Bell named USF OC

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Head Coaches salaries in D1. Look how many make LESS than KB.

USA TODAY Sports

All markets and teams aren't the same..... Would you say the OC at USF is the same as a coach in the Sun Belt, or would the OC at a school like USF be a higher position? Also by this rationale, Florida shouldn't pay an OC over 300,000 a year. Do you believe that should be the case?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All markets and teams aren't the same..... Would you say the OC at USF is the same as a coach in the Sun Belt, or would the OC at a school like USF be a higher position? Also by this rationale, Florida shouldn't pay an OC over 300,000 a year. Do you believe that should be the case?
I think you are missing my point. You said USF got Bell on a discount and that his going rate should have been higher. But based on what? He was a OC for a CFL team? He's been a HC at a couple different D3 teams and received a 3x pay raise to be the OC at a D1 school. My post was to show that there are multiple HCs at D1 schools who are making less than Bell.

His salary is right in line where it should be from my POV.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think you are missing my point. You said USF got Bell on a discount and that his going rate should have been higher. But based on what? He was a OC for a CFL team? He's been a HC at a couple different D3 teams and received a 3x pay raise to be the OC at a D1 school. My post was to show that there are multiple HCs at D1 schools who are making less than Bell.

His salary is right in line where it should be from my POV.
Bingo. This is quite a jump from the high school football he was coaching.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am really hoping the trajectory we are currently on continues for many years and Coach Mullen is here for a long time while we are competing for it most, if not, every year. And to be honest, I still have the feeling that Coach Mullen is at his dream job and sees UF as his path. Him and his wife seem to have roots here, which is a curse and gift the State of Florida provides. Its an easy place to call home, whether your from here or not.

With that said, Coach Bell is someone to watch as he transitions to a bigger game for the next couple seasons. He's been winning while scrapping with and against junior varsity talent. So while USF and their schedule isn't SEC level, it is a significant jump for Coach Bell to gauge if he adjusts. If he is successful, he could possible be one to two quality coaching stops away from being viewed as a candidate for his Alma Mater.

It is going to be fun to 'follow' USF next season.

Kerwin will be 54 years old this June. How long do we think Mullen will coach at UF? If this truly is his "dream" job and he doesn't get fired, he's likely here 12+ years. That puts Kerwin in his late 60's. I'm not sure how long Kerwin wants to coach, but he's more likely to get the USF job (or another mid-level D1 program, G5 type) than he is to ever be the UF head coach. I think he spent too much time at JU (due to his son being the starting QB). Had he moved on earlier to a D2 or 1AA (scholarship program) he could have made the climb up the ladder quicker. As it stands now, he likely has to put in two full years at USF to "prove" his offense works in D1....then he's 56 getting his first "big boy" college football head coaching job (possibly USF taking over for Strong?). His son, btw, is now on the USF staff as an analyst (he was the QB coach at VSU). He's probably more interested in helping groom his son to be a future big-time college coach.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If KB has any eligibility left, we could use him on D-Line!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I talked with the Associate AD at USF Friday. I asked him if KB is really about 300lbs? He smiled and said "He hasn't missed any meals lately."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good story on Kerwin:

Kerwin Bell excited to be back in Tampa as USF's new offensive coordinator

Kerwin Bell excited to be back in Tampa as USF's new offensive coordinator

Kerwin Bell’s journey through the game of football has taken him down many roads but there’s one stop that holds a special place close to his heart.

It was more than three decades ago when Bell stepped on the field at Tampa Stadium as a young quarterback for the Florida Gators. Through a series of strange events, the former walk-on had found himself starting his first college game against Bernie Kosar and the defending national champion Miami Hurricanes.

“It’s funny how your life sort of comes around full circle,” said Bell, who was in Orlando for a Nike coaching clinic on Friday.

Once again Bell has found himself back in Tampa, this time around as the new offensive coordinator for USF. It reunites him with former Gators assistant Charlie Strong, who enters his third season as head coach of the Bulls.

“I told people one of the big reasons why I took this opportunity was first the head guy, Charlie Strong, is somebody I’ve known for over thirty years and I really respect the heck out of him as a head coach and as a person,” Bell said. “I want to surround myself with great people, and he's definitely been that as a coach.”

Bell joined the USF staff after spending the past three seasons at Valdosta State, where he led the Blazers to the Division II Football Championship in 2018 thanks, in part, to an offense that was tops in the division.

He inherits a South Florida team that is coming off a disappointing 7-6 season after going from No. 10 in the country in scoring offense in 2017 to No. 68 in 2018.

Fans can expect to see some slight differences in the look of the offense under Bell, who describes it as an NFL system that’s morphed into a spread concept that allows better opportunities for the quarterback to get the football out in space to the team’s playmakers.

It’s a system that Bell believes will greatly benefit USF quarterback Blake Barnett.

“I think it may not have been the perfect fit for him for his talents,” Bell said of Barnett’s development in the Bulls offense last season. “I think this is. I think he wants to be in this type of system, and from what he’s seen so far it reminds him of his time at Alabama, which is probably more of what we do which is like [Lane] Kiffin’s pro-style with a lot of spread stuff.

“… I think he’s going to be really good at that and he’s really excited about it.”

Barnett finished last season, his first with USF after transferring from Arizona State, with 3,011 total yards and 20 total touchdowns.

Bell raves about Barnett’s athleticism from his strong arm to his ability to run with the football.

“I’m really, really excited to see what he can do in the system,” he adds.

As USF prepares to kick off spring practice on March 19, Bell wants to see how his quarterbacks handle the new system along with, more importantly, taking better care of the football.

“We pride ourself in this system as a system that really takes care of the football. We’ve always been like that. We can find the guy who can stay poised, go through his reads and take what the defense gives us,” Bell said.

The Bulls turned the ball over 22 times last season, with more than half of those coming on interceptions (12).

If his players need an example of what he’s looking for, Bell said to look no further than former Tennessee and NFL great Peyton Manning.

“He would always take what the defenses would give him. He probably threw more check-downs to running backs out of the backfield than any other quarterback in the history of the league because he’s willing to take what the defense is giving and I’m looking for that kind of guy,” Bell said, “one who will make the right decisions, who has a great feel for the game and who will get you in the best position every time you start with football.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator