Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. South Florida

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
upload_2021-9-12_4-42-41.jpeg

Another Gator Football season, another quarterback controversy. And some defensive concerns. And Dan acting a little smarmy during his pressers. There’s usually something to be said for consistency, but it’s not quite applicable in this recurring scenario. “Maddening” might be more appropriate. It’s no stretch to characterize the average fan’s take in this way, especially when it comes to factoring in Mullen’s foot dragging where finally naming Kyle Trask as the starting signal caller was concerned. With Alabama looming, starter Emory Jones has thrown more picks than TD’s while wunderkind Anthony Richardson has wowed us all with his speed, toughness, and a strong and accurate arm. Why wouldn’t there be some noise despite a 2-0 start against a couple of JV’s?

In the post-game presser after a 42-20 win that didn’t feel as dominating as a three score margin should, Mullen reiterated that we have two good QBs, Emory was the starter, and both will play. End of conversation. If only there wasn’t such a stark contrast between the two. The only sense I can make of it is that Mullen is either doggedly supportive of the more veteran player, perhaps because of his willingness to patiently await his turn or he’s trying to make everybody happy. The latter could be applied to the obvious plan to make sure every running back gets a fair share of the snaps. Then again, it’s early in the schedule and the most opportune time to continue auditions as well as tweak and fine tune. To Mullen, it seems to make perfect sense. To many fans, it makes no sense. After next Saturday, one side will get to say “I told you so” while the other gets to chew on the gristle.

*Emory Jones - 14/22 passing, 151 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT; 13 rushes, 81 yds, 1 TD; 232 total yds. Anthony Richardson - 3/3 passing, 152 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT; 4 rushes, 115 yds, 1 TD; 267 total yds. Just looking at the stats, the two biggest differences are rushing attempts and interceptions as they impact the QB’s efficiency. The seasonal sample size is small, but I feel like there’s a significant trend :whistle: I’ll add that if I’m relying on the eyeball test, Emory consistently standing and throwing flat-footed in the pocket drives me up the wall as does his staring down of his intended receiver.

*666 total yards. I don’t know whether to jump for joy or call a priest! Seriously, the two biggest takeaways are that the OL, thus far, are able to get a push and are providing adequate protection. 363 rushing yards and 1sack allowed are worlds better than what we have been treated to previously. But so far, only quizzes. The big test is next Saturday.

*As a youngster, I wanted a pony in the worst way. Never got one. As an older man, I want us to be able to line up, get subs in efficiently, and at least look like we aren’t shocked when the opposition uses tempo. Kinda looking like I’m not going to get that either.

*Staying with a defensive theme, my opinions from last week haven’t changed much. I think the DL is the strength of that side of the ball, the LBs make a play every now and again, but aren’t very spectacular, and the DBs make me feel like a Chinese Fire Drill could break out at any moment. In short, our identity is secure…we are Todd Grantham’s defense and inconsistency overall is our calling card. At some point, I want to see us put together a great performance against a good opponent. That and see Todd and the big Watson kid in a pancake eating contest :fatnanner: I’m thinking we see the syrup sopping first.

*My favoritism may be showing, but I want to see more Dameon Pierce. I think he’s physically ready for more touches and I can only hope he’ll get more than the 5 he got this week as we move into the SEC schedule. I’d feel better if we’d utilize three backs primarily. I think your better backs need more reps to get into the flow of the game.

*Although it’s early, I admit to having concerns about the receivers this year. Still no TE action to help soothe the loss of Pitts, but it was good to see Copeland show some hands and have a big day with 5 receptions for 175 yds and a pair of TDs. I think we’ve all been waiting for him to live up to his potential and he took some steps in that direction. Young Henderson seems to be growing into the college game. We’re far from the Fun and Gun, but we’re better than last week.

*I can’t say I’m overly impressed about special teams so far. All phases seem a little average. We did give up a pretty decent return and I hope that was just a personnel issue or something easily fixed. Truthfully, in today’s game if we can avoid kickoffs out of bounds and short punts, we can manage. But I do believe we’ll need some FGs before long. Hope the kickers are up to the mark.

*F$U fell to Jacksonville State on the last play of the game. Not what anybody was expecting after that tremendous moral victory over Norte Dame last week…

upload_2021-9-12_6-39-37.gif

(that’s for you @soflagator :))

It might be hoping beyond hope, but it would be great if Dan said “We’re gonna give the kid the nod against Bama and Emory will be ready to roll in when needed!” He could also say “And we're gonna use our best two backs primarily, let them get into a groove, and not let Bama make us one dimensional.” Who knows, but he could say “I’ve charged Coach Grantham with making sure our personnel is squared away and we are set and ready at the snap. We won’t have too many looks where our LBs are matched up with receivers, and our DBs will at least keep everything in front of them!” All of this could happen. But there’s a good chance the groundhog sees his shadow. Big players get up for big games. It’s past time for that to occur. Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Man, I sure agree about Pierce getting more carries. He's been terrific.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Great write up C2! I too wish Dan had the nads to say....“We’re gonna give the kid the nod against Bama and Emory will be ready to roll in when needed!” But I know it's wishful thinking. He has proved beyond a doubt that he does not care about winning.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
EJ and the defensive secondary are the weakest links and will get destroyed Saturday vs Bama.

pierce has amazing balance, strength, and tenacity. AR15 does too. And both will be criminally underutilized vs Bama.

cope finally making the catches he should. Much better hands so far this season. Can give us a legit downfield threat to stretch the defense as long as we have a qb who can get him the ball (AR).

where are the TEs???

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Man, I sure agree about Pierce getting more carries. He's been terrific.

He’s just rotating the backs to give them game time. It will be Pierce and Davis from here on out. With Pierce as the lead back.

as a side note, I was surprised how small Bowman was.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
ESPN: Serving sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere. › story
Florida Gators sticking with Emory Jones as starting quarterback ...

Not shocked

starting your upperclassman week three is one thing.

leaving him in after he stinks up the joint and costs you the game in the first half seals your identity as a turd and a fool.

EJ will deliver multiple INTs and pick sixes while Bama destroys Helm with play action bombs for TDS.

Bama will be up three or four scores by the second quarter.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EJ and the defensive secondary are the weakest links and will get destroyed Saturday vs Bama.

pierce has amazing balance, strength, and tenacity. AR15 does too. And both will be criminally underutilized vs Bama.

cope finally making the catches he should. Much better hands down far this season. Can give us a legit downfield threat to stretch the defense as long as we have a qb who can get him the ball (AR).

where are the TEs???

AR only attempted 3 passes yesterday. And EJ only checks down, runs, or throws interceptions on intermediate routes. Which is where the TE lives.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
AR only attempted 3 passes yesterday. And EJ only checks down, runs, or throws interceptions on intermediate routes. Which is where the TE lives.

that dime AR threw to the five while moving left under pressure is the only sample size I need. :)

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The plays where EJ was standing, flat-footed and staring downfield for several second, are hard to understand. We didn't get a view downfield, but it's hard to believe none of our receivers could get a step of separation in all that time. That means either the receivers are not taught what to do once a route is done or breaks down, or that EJ has so little confidence in his accuracy or receivers that he won't throw to anybody who isn't wide open. I expect it's the latter, and that, even if I hadn't seen how much better Richardson is, is enough to say "NEXT!"

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He’s just rotating the backs to give them game time. It will be Pierce and Davis from here on out. With Pierce as the lead back.
And how do you know this?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
They say no fan base takes winning as hard as Gator fans. Well I'm a great Gator because I took this one hard. The lack of an intermediate passing game (with int's to boot) and non use of the tight ends has me worried for the real tests looming in the future.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
The plays where EJ was standing, flat-footed and staring downfield for several second, are hard to understand. We didn't get a view downfield, but it's hard to believe none of our receivers could get a step of separation in all that time. That means either the receivers are not taught what to do once a route is done or breaks down, or that EJ has so little confidence in his accuracy or receivers that he won't throw to anybody who isn't wide open. I expect it's the latter, and that, even if I hadn't seen how much better Richardson is, is enough to say "NEXT!"

commentators noted he is hesitating and the receivers are open, and then the windows close … and he throws it anyway.

he will rush his throws next week to overcompensate while still not seeing the field and hand Bama an easy victory.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Dan is a ****ing pussy and will never make CEO decisions. He will never do what’s best for the team (Grantham and recruiters) and will always protect his buddies and older players from getting their feelings hurt for sucking at their job! Being at the game yesterday everyone saw what needed to be done and dip**** refused to do anything about it.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Dan is a ****ing pussy and will never make CEO decisions. He will never do what’s best for the team (Grantham and recruiters) and will always protect his buddies and older players from getting their feelings hurt for sucking at their job! Being at the game yesterday everyone saw what needed to be done and dip**** refused to do anything about it.

he didn’t even let AR finish the drive after he lost his helmet so ej could pad his stats and he still fuchsed it up. That’s insane.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Awesome post Cover 2...can't give it enough likes.

Again on Mullen:

IMHO he's arrogant and extremley STUBBORN. To listen to the Fans would be admitting he was mistaken.

His talent evaluations are questionable...this was not an issue under Urban...Meyer did it.

Mullen was forced to use Trask, he favors age over talent, he can't recruit and he keeps Grantham.

He will not bench EJ...were stuck with him.

What's most frushstraiting...with a few changes this team has a chance.

Side Note:

I'd at least like to see both on the field at the time.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
First of all: great write up, as usual @cover2.

Second: This will not be a news flash to most of you here on GC, but we may have the stupidest and most stubborn coach in America (as well as the biggest doooshbag). How AR15 is not our every down QB is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.