Head Coaching Candidates Thread; Brian Kelly goes to LSU

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@mzenitz: Lincoln Riley just informed his staff at Oklahoma that he’s taking the head coaching job at USC, a source tells @On3sports

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I can see why Riley would go to USC. But I also wonder why. Does OU not pay well, less resources, more pressure?

Hard to blame a coach for leaving the gauntlet that is and will be the SEC for similar money. All he has to do at USC is keep the state's talent, in-state. He doesn't have to make it to the SECCG to be in the play off hunt and when the playoff expands to eight team, even easier.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
I can see why Riley would go to USC. But I also wonder why. Does OU not pay well, less resources, more pressure?

Hard to blame a coach for leaving the gauntlet that is and will be the SEC for similar money. All he has to do at USC is keep the state's talent, in-state. He doesn't have to make it to the SECCG to be in the play off hunt and when the playoff expands to eight team, even easier.

Recruiting at USC has to be orders of magnitude easier than recruiting Oklahoma. There's only one other serious recruiter in the entire conference, and USC is the most prominent school in the most talent rich state for the conference.

Yeah Riley to USC does make more sense than LSU or even Florida, though it stings a lot to learn he was available after all and we probably didn't even bother to go after him.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yeah Riley to USC does make more sense than LSU or even Florida, though it stings a lot to learn he was available after all and we probably didn't even bother to go after him.
I do not dislike Riley, not at all. I would like to know why he is leaving OU or more if it has anything to do with management and their Athletic Department. I would have thought they really want to keep him, at all cost. It looks a little like he's running from the new expanded SEC, in which case, he would not have fared better at UF.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Posted also in dedicated thread, but:

@AdamSchefter: Oklahoma has targeted Cardinals’ HC Kliff Kingsbury as one of the potential replacements for Lincoln Riley, league sources tell ESPN. Kingsbury has one year remaining on his contract after this season.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Recruiting at USC has to be orders of magnitude easier than recruiting Oklahoma. There's only one other serious recruiter in the entire conference, and USC is the most prominent school in the most talent rich state for the conference.

Exactly, I rank the jobs this year SoCal > UF > LSU. If I were at power 5 conference job, I would be very careful about coming to the SEC without knowing what the divisions or pods look like. The UF job would look somewhat different if the Alabama schools both ended up in the East.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Is it too late to offer Lane? Can we change horses?
Not sure I like French Fried Potaters and his 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense.
Did we just hire Muschamp 2.0, Big-Time-Head-Coach-in-Waiting, part Deux?
Stay tuned Gator Nation. We find out together...
11e736b7ca67dbe7726cfe9933c8f578.jpg

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Isn't that the school that canned their coach for not getting needle raped?

What would it take for LSU to take the Ogre back? ...if they have a free fall like Tennessee did a few years back, they might wish they wouldn't have asked good ole Ed to take a hike! Now that we've got our guy locked up, this might get fun!

Not sure what the entire story is, but Ogre was apparently let go over some sexual affair.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Take a deep breath. We are not your enemy. Just laugh with us instead of getting triggered. Its just a message board.
We actually might be his enemy. He openly HATES UF. Talks schit about it all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb