Head Coaching Candidates Thread; Brian Kelly goes to LSU

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Some takeaways from the presser:
- No time table on the new hire
- non committal on hiring an outside firm
- football complex opens in a few months(?)
- Goldkamp asked the best questions
- who is Pat Dooley working for now?

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
I've never been a big poster here but as an Alum, a former player and booster here are my thoughts:

Kiffin does not fit the Florida culture. He might be a popular media pick but he does not represent Gator football at all. He will end up at Miami.
We will make a run at Cristobal but he's going to stay at Oregon.
Bob Stoops is not the answer, he had his time.
Mark Stoops is not the answer, he can not survive the Florida spotlight.
LSU will hire Bill Obrien.
Urban will stay at Jax another year before getting fired and then end up at ND

We will go after Brad Johnson, Brian Schottenheimer, Joe Brady and write it down, Bryon Leftwich

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The only knock on Kiffin is longevity. I don't think he goes to another college position. Unlike some of you I kinda like to think that UF is top tier and the only reason for a move would be if you have a tie to another top tier program and Kiffin doesn't. But there's always the possibility of him going back to the NFL. C'est la vie.
So he's a little brash. As long as he wins we will be eating that up. If he doesn't cut it I don't think he leaves the program in worse shape than it's been with the last three hires. So I'll take Kiffy. If I end up biting the pillow then all I can say is that after the last 10 years it's a well worn highway.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
There's a thread on tos saying Bill Obrien is at the top of the list

https://archive.org/download/neil-rogers-show-soundboard/No!-King.mp3

Bill Obrien is an NFL guy thru and thru. Look he did a great job at Pedo St. but totally different circumstances. He was able to recruit 1 and 2 star kids whose only other option was Div 2. They were excited and he made Pedo St. competitive given the circumstances. But in that instance he was coaching guys who wanted to be there and wanted to learn. he did not have to cater to them. Now you want him to cater to these kids nowadays, Not happening. Look how fast it fell apart in the NFL. Lastly, I have not been enamored with the way he has managed the offense at Bama this season. Yes I know the numbers, but it has been a lot more fits and starts than it should have been. Bill O'brien is a good coach, but for HC at UF?

https://archive.org/download/neil-rogers-show-soundboard/No-Buffalo-Bill.mp3

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I've never been a big poster here but as an Alum, a former player and booster here are my thoughts:

Kiffin does not fit the Florida culture. He might be a popular media pick but he does not represent Gator football at all. He will end up at Miami.

We will go after Brad Johnson, Brian Schottenheimer, Joe Brady and write it down, Bryon Leftwich

Dear God give me an entire of bleach over that

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I watched that presser and strick9 still looks weak and timid to me. Not the type of AD to land a whale.

He spends 5 minutes bending over backwards to praise mullen. Then why'd you fire him? Just be real. He was fired for cause he talks a lot about high standards but doesn't actually have any. That's it, easy. It's all you had to say.

He indicated he woke up this morning and just decided to fire a coach. GTFOH. If he was part of the decision, he was only part. And I think logic indicates he was holding out until the noise became more than he could bare.

I do appreciate that he said he doesn't think the fan base is unreasonable for expecting consistent greatness and it's what he expects as well..I just wish he'd hire like he means it or understands what it requires. Jury's out on that but history isn't his friend.

It's time to nut up and go deep and he knows it. He bungles this one and it's him getting the "were moving on" conversation. Clocks ticking Scottie.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Joe Brady would be amazing. But I don’t think he’s coming to college. I also don’t think he has any experience in recruiting. He would have to put together a hellacious recruiting staff.

But Brady would meet Stricklin’s requirement of long sustainable success because he was young.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is it too soon to even consider Justin Fuente?

I know he didn't set the world on fire a VT but think what he did at Memphis.

I think he has a reputation as a very good recruiter and seems to be a creative offensive mind. Don't know much about his defensive rep. but being stuck with an ageing Bud Foster didn't help him at all.

Just wondering.......

Put me solidly in the Never Lane Camp!

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
After all this if Stricklin trotted out Brad Johnson, Brian Schottenheimer (gag) or Byron "Fattie" Leftwich he'd have to scramble for his life from the mob.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m 100% for Lane. Will it work out? Probably not. But he has the highest ceiling of any realistic candidate out there right now so let’s give it a shot.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I’m 100% for Lane. Will it work out? Probably not. But he has the highest ceiling of any realistic candidate out there right now so let’s give it a shot.
What ceiling would that be?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I know he didn't set the world on fire a VT but think what he did at Louisville.

I think he has a reputation as a very good recruiter and seems to be a creative offensive mind. Don't know much about his defensive rep. but being stuck with an ageing Bud Foster didn't help him at all.

Just wondering.......

Did Fuente get caught with some hooker in Louisville like Pitino did shagging that broad in a booth in an Italian Restaurant after hours? Fuente never coached at Louisville. He was the coach at Memphis.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I know he didn't set the world on fire a VT but think what he did at Louisville.

Just wondering.......

fuente is TERRIBLE. They’ve been trying to get rid of his ass for the last several years. He is absolute garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.