Head Coaching Candidates Thread; Brian Kelly goes to LSU

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Right now I think it's going to be Kiffin for better or for worse. Everybody has been talking Kiffin to LSU but I think Miami is going to go after him. Kiffin likes South Florida. He still owns a home in Boca Ration from where he was th coach at FAU. Although he doesn't have great rapport with the high school coaches in Mississippi Kiffin recruits nationally and recruiting in South Florida is different than in Mississippi. Kiffin knows the layout and the vibe of South Florida.

This is just speculation but I think Stricklin knows if Kiffin lands in Miami then it makes recruiting South Florida harder for whoever the new UF coach is. Stricklin knew he had to act fast to cut Miami (or LSU) off at the pass. Miami is at a disadvantage because they do have a current AD in place to make a new hire.

The only thing I am most sure of is that Kiffin won't be in Oxford, Mississippi next year. I don't think he really likes it there and would bolt at the first chance he gets. He knows that without Matt Corral who has already announced he's foregoing his senior season Ole Miss football is going to go backwards so he knows he has to get out while the gettin' out is good.
What's his buyout?

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
Awesome! 4 guys with zero experience running an organization of any size... what could go wrong.

Also, please define "represent Gator football"?
Kiffin is a sleeze bag, we all know it. He's bound to put some school under NCAA investigations sooner or later. He might be the flashy hire but Florida will not spend $$$ on him. We'll find a young Spurrier out there that has some attitude but does it the right way.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kiffin is the only candidate I can think of so far. No one mentioned so far seems a reasonable candidate to me.

Napier offense is run first. He is 91st in passing offense this year and was 81st last season. This fan base would be very unhappy with him.
at least our guys are used to run run run punt

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Not a vote for or against Kiffy, but here is what I believe Kiffy thinks. Kiffy has a huge ego (which is okay) and he wants to win. Is UF a better job all around than scrotUM? Yes it is. But Kiffy knows that he could contend for the ACC almost immediately at scrotUM, thus get into the big dance at year's end rather easily and quickly. In the SEC West, Kiffy can't do that. But Kiffy knows that at UF, given his confidence, he would view it as a one game season in the SEC Least to the SECCG, so he knows the road is there. So if UF were to move early while scrotUM searches couch cushions for extra money, perhaps he would make the move to UF?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Please God let LSU hire Kiffin soon. This is painful.

I just get the feeling that this is some reverse psychology jedi mind trick thing you are doing just like @Detroitgator called out on mizzou loss and muLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLen being safe.

Request, can you put some logic in there that when anyone types Mullen it gives 15 L's in the name?

No...I dont want a vacation.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Kiffin is a sleeze bag, we all know it. He's bound to put some school under NCAA investigations sooner or later. He might be the flashy hire but Florida will not spend $$$ on him. We'll find a young Spurrier out there that has some attitude but does it the right way.

This might be the dumbest or funniest post I have ever read, not sure which. but the bold sentence is clearly hysterical. You clearly do not understand the UF admin and Fooley.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So, you're another one evaluating Kiffin from 7+ years ago, and definitely not the last 5.

As for your Spurrier analogy, you mean the guy who coached a USFL team, and then was HC/CEO at Duke before he got hired by UF, that guy? But you think one of your 4, which have HC'd nothing, anywhere, are the next Spurrier? Maybe, but I wouldn't chance it. We've made that mistake numerous times now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
hey, at this point- why not give him a look?
good recruiter, knows our system, offensive minded and young.
the Iggles think highly of him:

Much More to Brian Johnson Hiring than Just Jalen Hurts
He might be the best option FOR US.

Probably not most teams.

He was the architect of last year's offense, the only one to stand up to Mullen, a great recruiter, and held the team together when most wanted to quit bc CNN told them COVID was going to kill them. He is already known to the kids, knows the nomenclature etc.

He is a huge risk, and likely won't be elite. However, we won't have any better options. All the rest, frankly, are terrible. Napier, Kiffy, Fickell, hard pass, hard pass, hard pass. The Coastal guy, no better than Johnson IMO and not know by Florida HS and a questionable recruiter.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So, you're another one evaluating Kiffin from 7+ years ago, and definitely not the last 5..
You are what your record says you are.

He has failed and been spectacularly fired twice. No thanks.

It doesn't matter because the UF admin would never hire a scumbag like Kiffin.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You are what your record says you are.

He has failed and been spectacularly fired twice. No thanks.
16-3 in his last 19. And I'll accept his overall records at both FAU and Ole Miss, especially when I look at who the preponderance of those losses were to. He listed 4 people that have never won, or lost, a single game, as a HC.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
16-3 in his last 19. And I'll accept his overall records at both FAU and Ole Miss, especially when I look at who the preponderance of those losses were to. He listed 4 people that have never won, or lost, a single game, as a HC.
versus a known loser. who went 6-6 at USC.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It would be rather amusing with all these openings if no one offers Kiffy and he’s forced to stay where he’s at.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
versus a known loser. who went 6-6 at USC.
Yup... let USC and Tennessee make those mistake while someone learns... I'm done taking chances on coordinators. The 4 names listed, one MIGHT be the kind of coach we are looking for... some day. I have no interest in throwing another rookie straight into a CEO role, zero.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Agreed. I think the Strickland mess (baffles me how he's not been fired yet or forced to resign for basically covering up the women's basketball coach harassment) could cock block us from hiring someone great. If you're a potential coaching candidate you have your agent doing DD on UF and the program and their agent will let them know about the Strickland mess and potential to be hired by him, but working for a different AD at any time upcoming if UF finally fires his ass and hires someone new. A new AD could have a totally different vision for the program and possibly a different personality mix than the new head coach.

Bottom line, UF should've axed Strickland end of summer when the women's basketball scandal was revealed.
Maybe it's just me, but I would learn the AD's name before commenting on him. It would probably make people take your position more seriously.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are going to laugh and I sure as hell aren’t starting any “source” threads, but I was just emailed.

Stricklin has a top 5 and evidently Lane Kiffin is on that list.

Take it or leave it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.