3500 yards passing?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well looky here. We have over 2000 yards through the air after only 7 games. Last year it took us 13 to get to 2700. We haven't had a 3000 yard season since I don't know when. But with Trask at the helm 3500 is definitely going to happen.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I still can’t believe this improved passing game hasn’t opened up our run game any more. This o-line has really been a disappointment thus far.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I still can’t believe this improved passing game hasn’t opened up our run game any more. This o-line has really been a disappointment thus far.
You'd think. The run game was more productive than I thought. We have trouble between the tackles but it's not like we kept crashing into the line.
The all offense plays are up if you dare. The one complaint is the run play called on the 1st and 20 in the 3rd qtr drive (after Perine's magnificent catch and run was called back). At the 10:50 mark. Sometimes a run is the right call in that situation but that play was destined to fail. Maybe someone can explain what they were trying to do. Basically there are two LB's not accounted for. The RG pulls to meet one in the gap but the other is still free. Should one of the other lineman released and got to him? Perine cuts into the gap where there's one too many LB's. Had he cut outside he might have had nothing but grass to stop him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The primary reason is because we don't disguise our run game at all. It is HIGHLY predictable by formation and personnel (EJ in particular of course).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You'd think. The run game was more productive than I thought. We have trouble between the tackles but it's not like we kept crashing into the line.
The all offense plays are up if you dare. The one complaint is the run play called on the 1st and 20 in the 3rd qtr drive (after Perine's magnificent catch and run was called back). At the 10:50 mark. Sometimes a run is the right call in that situation but that play was destined to fail. Maybe someone can explain what they were trying to do. Basically there are two LB's not accounted for. The RG pulls to meet one in the gap but the other is still free. Should one of the other lineman released and got to him?

It looks like a variation of a basic play called "POWER". (A lot of high schools run that like 50% of the time. Crete probably has power playing in his head while taking dumps and masturbating.)

At first glance I thought it might be a combo block but I don't think so. The left guard is trying to get to the LB from the get go, but the right DE pushes the left OT inside squeezing the path of that guard and gobbles up two blockers. It's why no one else in the SEC uses 220 lb DEs and 240 lb DTs. (It's also why the part of the board that thinks our real DTs suck bc they don't make sacks are DUMB AS FVKK.)

No one really messed up, LSU just had a guy who gobbled up two blockers.

(If it were a combo block then the LT should have been the one to pull once the DE crashed inside and handed off the DE to the guard. Again, I don't think so but the angle isn't the best.)

The TE actually holds his block reasonably well in that.

The play should work on paper but in reality it's too many butts in too small of a space. I'd also say the pulling guard looked a little slow. (It is Bleich on second glance.)

As for cutting outside, that outside LB being blocked by the TE is in pretty good position to control the edge. He does a good job of extending his arms and keeping the TE off of him. He can move outside if he needs to and the ILBs will be strafing too if he does that. Obviously there is a safety (I think off the screen. That looks like the right CB following Cleveland. Obviously, man coverage and probably 1 high.)

As for why the RB follows the guard, it's pretty simple. If they don't run the play as designed, absent something like the contain backer slipping, then they get benched.

Some of you coaching gurus correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The primary reason is because we don't disguise our run game at all. It is HIGHLY predictable by formation and personnel (EJ in particular of course).
But the defense isn't disguising what they're gonna do either. Sometimes you just have to execute. Looks like the LG was suppose to get to the other LB but got clogged up. Still if Perine bounces outside there's nobody to stop him.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The all offense plays are up if you dare. The one complaint is the run play called on the 1st and 20 in the 3rd qtr drive (after Perine's magnificent catch and run was called back). At the 10:50 mark. Sometimes a run is the right call in that situation but that play was destined to fail. Maybe someone can explain what they were trying to do. Basically there are two LB's not accounted for. The RG pulls to meet one in the gap but the other is still free. Should one of the other lineman released and got to him? Perine cuts into the gap where there's one too many LB's. Had he cut outside he might have had nothing but grass to stop him.

So after rewatching, EJ plays were unsuccessful 6 times, 3 of them coming on his drive. Every other one contributed to a TD drive and never threw off the rhythm.

Other note, Perine dances entirely too much. I truly believe there are creases there but he isn’t running full steam into them so he can never exploit them. Let Pierce hit those same holes - he breaks tackles on the way through. That said, Perine earned his keep in the passing game. Thought I remembered Pierce catching a few too in the games before Auburn - maybe he could fill that role well.

Lastly, Trask really is impressive. He gets the ball a lot of places that we haven’t seen a QB exploit in a long time. Glad he’s back there slinging.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
But the defense isn't disguising what they're gonna do either. Sometimes you just have to execute. Looks like the LG was suppose to get to the other LB but got clogged up. Still if Perine bounces outside there's nobody to stop him.
Same thing that happened on the last option. Play was there - great call even. De lance just fails to block the LB because he’s too slow and whiffs. If he even chips him, Perine walks in. I also believe that Trask started that play so slowly to hold the MLB so that Delance could get there. He just didn’t.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Look dude, I'm telling you that right OLB being blocked by the TE has nothing stopping him from covering that edge. Notice his hand and arm placement versus what the DE and NT are doing. And notice he doesn't dive inside to the gap until the RB commits. He is playing contain on that side with the CB missing and playing it correctly.

There is a reason he is doing it differently than the down linemen. The defensive linemen generally wants to keep his distance from the blocker. But he isn't making any rips, swims or other moves trying to disengage. He is setting the edge and staying put. If he commits outside, that C gap gets bigger and easier for Perine, but he cant get sucked inside and lose contain bc then Perine does cut outside.

Notice the DE just sort of crashes into that B gap and thus takes both blockers. He's doing that by design once he sees that backside guard pulling I suspect.

That play is also meant to test if the OLB notices that the CB goes with Cleveland. Obviously some will forget and lose contain, especially if they ignore the secondary defense (which many dumb or lazy linemen do.)

IMO the play call is just stupid. Power on third and 20.

If you MUST run for some reason, at least run a draw play. If you aren't showing run from the get go, you have DBs in man coverage not watching inside and LBs probably dropping too as soon as they see hats high out of the OL. At least there is a potential for a big hitter in a draw play half the defense turning their back to the QB.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well looky here. We have over 2000 yards through the air after only 7 games. Last year it took us 13 to get to 2700. We haven't had a 3000 yard season since I don't know when. But with Trask at the helm 3500 is definitely going to happen.

Per game passing don't remember too many high years after Spurrier except maybe 2004 and 2007. Not sure if either hit 3500 in 13 games.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just stating facts. The kid is a gunslinger. Get over it. With SOS the sky's the limit.
Amy time you start using the same words ie saying the kid is special, wowser.... we start thinking you are special.

perhaps it is contagious.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Amy time you start using the same words ie saying the kid is special, wowser.... we start thinking you are special.

perhaps it is contagious.

Really gets under your skin I know. The kid is good. Wowser is what everyone would be saying if SOS had a couple seasons with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator