3D Printing update, haters: K2SO

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I'm going to briefly share this in here, then I'll move it.

Star Wars "Rogue One" droid K2SO. 7'1" tall. 3D printed in both filament and resin. Took two months. I had been doing Ghostbusters props for most of the last year but I wanted to do a full-sized droid. He's certain to scare the bejesus out of anyone walking into the room.

Image-7.jpg

Image-8.jpg

Image-3.jpg

Image-1-1.jpg

Image-2.jpg

Image-3.jpg

Image-4.jpg

Image-5.jpg

Image-6.jpg

Before you say something hateful, just remember my finger is on the ban button.

Discuss.
Impressive

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I'm going to briefly share this in here, then I'll move it.

Star Wars "Rogue One" droid K2SO. 7'1" tall. 3D printed in both filament and resin. Took two months. I had been doing Ghostbusters props for most of the last year but I wanted to do a full-sized droid. He's certain to scare the bejesus out of anyone walking into the room.

Image-7.jpg

Image-8.jpg

Image-3.jpg

Image-1-1.jpg

Image-2.jpg

Image-3.jpg

Image-4.jpg

Image-5.jpg

Image-6.jpg

Before you say something hateful, just remember my finger is on the ban button.

Discuss.
Very cool. Glad my Oxbucks went to a worthy use.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Nice job man. That's really cool. Did you have to paint, weather and distress it yourself or does the printer handle most of that?

I'm not super familiar with 3D printing these days but how did you avoid getting the extrusion grooves that typically show up in prints? Are new printers just that good or did you have to primer and sand everything?
Oh man I wish the 3D printer did all that. I have to first file all the rough parts off, then bondo and sand the entire piece to cover those lines. Then prime, then paint.

To weather from there, you mix a black and brown acrylic paint, and slather it all over each piece. Then, while it's wet, wipe it all off with a wet rag. This leaves "dirt" in all the crevices and corners, and gives it a grimy look. The scratches are made with chrome paint pens. It all takes countless hours. The resin pieces come out nearly smooth and don't need the bondo.

The only electronics are an LED light behind the eyes to light them up - I can turn it on with a remote control, don't even need a switch. The arms do move with the elbow and shoulder joints and can be posed. The wrist and fingers can also be posed. The head swivels.

The legs are fixed, and there's an aluminum pole which runs up each one and ends in the hip. It's actually quite strong and stable.

The files for him were purchased for around $40 on Etsy.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Oh man I wish the 3D printer did all that. I have to first file all the rough parts off, then bondo and sand the entire piece to cover those lines. Then prime, then paint.

To weather from there, you mix a black and brown acrylic paint, and slather it all over each piece. Then, while it's wet, wipe it all off with a wet rag. This leaves "dirt" in all the crevices and corners, and gives it a grimy look. The scratches are made with chrome paint pens. It all takes countless hours. The resin pieces come out nearly smooth and don't need the bondo.

The only electronics are an LED light behind the eyes to light them up - I can turn it on with a remote control, don't even need a switch. The arms do move with the elbow and shoulder joints and can be posed. The wrist and fingers can also be posed. The head swivels.

That 786/305 call you receive later today. Take it, agree to the sale, and don’t ask any questions.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

The legs are fixed, and there's an aluminum pole which runs up each one and ends in the hip. It's actually quite strong and stable.

Are the plans in some kind of machine language ? Or are they 3D models and converted via the printer?

Did you read DIY books? Anyrecommendations?

Seems like a pretty cool hobby.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Are the plans in some kind of machine language ? Or are they 3D models and converted via the printer?

Did you read DIY books? Anyrecommendations?

Seems like a pretty cool hobby.
The files are in .stl format, which is a 3D file that the printers can read. I generally don't design anything, just use what other people have already designed. There are MILLIONS of things you can print.

I didn't read a damn thing. Just buy a printer and get rolling.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018

Well that answers my questions, but @ThreatMatrix still wants to know where the Fuchshole is on that thing.

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014

Super cool man. I do the same on the old 1/35 armor and 1/48 aircraft plastic models. I didn't realize there were others beside myself and Deet doing that sort of stuff.

Bravo sir.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
I'm not exactly a 3d printing connoisseur but this is the most insane thing I've ever seen someone do with a 3d printer. Pretty amazing imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator